Cars are like a box of chocolates...

ocnblu

Saw two yellow '70s survivors today... a yellow w/ matching hubcap trim and brown vinyl top 4dr Mercury Comet from around '74-76, and a late '70s Toyota Corolla 2dr sedan--greenish yellow w/ black bumpers.

Both in really clean shape.

Local BG dealer has a dark blue LaCrosse with chrome rims, and I agree with DF, it looks very distinguished in that colour.

That reminds me, I saw one Saturday night in black w/ black out windows and chrome rims..very sharp. Limo tint all the way around is very popular here, and kind of necessity w/ the summers..

2010 Ford Escape XLT in black, black, black, black and more black...even chrome lipped wheels that were otherwise also gloss black. Not sure what the trim package is, but brand new, and a co-worker company car replacement. Looked menacing. Or at least made a garden variety Escape special. Caught the Ford bug today...heh.

EDIT: Ah, it's a new "Sport" package.

8801EF28-CC9D-D354-601C-E5F7601CE5F7.jpg

Edited by caddycruiser

2010 Ford Escape XLT in black, black, black, black and more black...even chrome lipped wheels that were otherwise also gloss black. Not sure what the trim package is, but brand new, and a co-worker company car replacement. Looked menacing. Or at least made a garden variety Escape special. Caught the Ford bug today...heh.

Cool...I'd like to see a Mustang GT or Shelby trimmed that way, or all in satin black.

Cool...I'd like to see a Mustang GT or Shelby trimmed that way, or all in satin black.

I'd never seen one, no one knew whose new car it was, then the rest of the day "what do you think of those wheels?" was said many times. The person who bought it wasn't sure & said he tried to have the dealer swap them out, but none of their other Escape's matched...IMHO all black, it just looks cool, on an otherwise drab plebian Escape.

And yes, should be an option elsewhere :AH-HA:

I'd never seen one, no one knew whose new car it was, then the rest of the day "what do you think of those wheels?" was said many times. The person who bought it wasn't sure & said he tried to have the dealer swap them out, but none of their other Escape's matched...IMHO all black, it just looks cool, on an otherwise drab plebian Escape.

And yes, should be an option elsewhere :AH-HA:

The upcoming Caprice PPV is a perfect car to trim that way, IMHO.

Today was Chevy pickup day, saw 3 very clean '73-87 shortbed fleetside 2wd regular cab pickups. First, a dark colored(was at 6:30am, dark out) '83 or so (had the stacked rectangular headlights w/ parking lights behind horizontal grille), very clean...next was a two tone bright blue and white late '70s model, and then this afternoon I saw a very clean white '76-77 or so one.

While grinding along in bumper to bumper traffic this morning, a red '10 ZR1 rolled up beside me..first one I've seen on the road. This afternoon, on the way home, the same red ZR1 passed me... sweet.

Also saw a faded dark red w/ white top '82-86 Bonneville (the downsized G-body model). Haven't seen one of those in ages. Also saw an '85 Olds 88 in silver green w/ darker green top, very clean shape (the last year of the RWD B-body model).

2 Jeep Wranglers at the Datsun dealership, parked in a back corner with snowplows on the front. I'd seen them there before, they belong to the dealership.

I looked at the Datsun pickups while I was there. The Frontier is nice, they had 2 SE-V6 Value Package King Cab 4X4s, one red metallic and one gray. They look good, nice and beefy. I don't like the weird seat upholstery though. I looked at the headliner, it appears to be made of the same material as a GMT355, and the EPA mileage ratings are abysmal, 14/19 for automatic and 15/19 for six speed manual with the V6. That's worse than a Sierra 1500 4X4 with 5.3L V8, at 16/21! The GMT355 seems to have the best mileage ratings of the compact trucks, unless you get the 5.3L, and then it goes down to the level of the other guys' V6s. Atlas 4 and 5 FTW.

Steel Blue MKT with Ecoboost came in this week... sold order, and the only one we've sold so far. We've had a pearl white/saddle one and a silver/black one since they first came out, rotting on the lot. Salesguys say customers have not been impressed, and are upset Ford wants this to eventually replace the Navigator. I hope GM can execute a Lambda Escalade better, but I am not optimistic.

Edited by ocnblu

Steel Blue MKT with Ecoboost came in this week... sold order, and the only one we've sold so far. We've had a pearl white/saddle one and a silver/black one since they first came out, rotting on the lot. Salesguys say customers have not been impressed, and are upset Ford wants this to eventually replace the Navigator. I hope GM can execute a Lambda Escalade better, but I am not optimistic.

Really? I've wondered...price aside, the package is damn near WOW from build to drive quality...but it's just not turning people on I guess...then again, compared to a Traverse or other Lambda's, the Flex sells a 1/3 or less, I think. Heh. Prices up in the mid $50k range with options doesn't help either, even if it may actually be worth it.

It's hard, because compared to a larger BOF utility, even if they're more refined and otherwise, that "bulk", the V8 grunt and big 'ole tow hitch on the back just speaks to people who want a full on luxury tank more than a full on luxury minivan/crossover type thing does, no matter how well you do it. Lots of Tahoe/Yukon trade ins on Lambda's, but at the same time a handful that also switched right back. It's 2 different categories that just don't check off all of each other's boxes.

---------------------------------------------

Spotted a yellow Camaro LT/RS in a work parking lot, amidst snow & slush last week, with the painted yellow GM splash guards. Mud flaps on a Camaro can make your eyes bug out, but color matched and a molded GM part, they looked about as good as possible & were obviously effective already in the muck.

Edited by caddycruiser

MKt is no navigator replacement, however, it is one of the finest crossovers out there with ecoboost. It needs time to get ingested into the market. its price is way too high, which is part of the problem.

Dead on.

I want to see more of these things...a local FLM dealer has a red one but they put it on the rotating ramp thingamabob out front & it's been on there spinning for quite a while...eye catcher, regardless.

Our roads are still a bit nasty from all that snow we had, so I was surprised to see an early first-gen S-10 Blazer in absolutely pristine condition, red over silver two-tone, on the road, driven by an older lady. How she was avoiding getting it covered with salt spray, I do not know... unless... could it have been a ghost Blazer?:ninja:

Roaring north today on Rt. 1 through Delaware, saw an "odd" Sebring merge in...clearly a Sebring...but lower than usual & clearly had lower gray sill extensions just like a 300M Special...

Got closer & saw it. The trunk said TSI & it all looked OEM, but I really couldn't remember anything about such a thing. I think this was a limited run, but first I've ever seen in pictures or reality, period.

Image00011.jpg

Forgot...yesterday when I stopped at Wawa in Lewes before heading north, a new '10 F-150 Raptor in that red/orange color they keep showing it in, was pulling in with out of state plates. Loved it. In reality doesn't seem like much more than an F-150 "trim package" until you look at it further & underneath, of course.

After running around today, on the way back I saw something I thought was...well...not memorable but different. New '11 Kia Sorento in a sort of dark green. Very, well, typical. Clean & crisp, but not really any big verve to it, but at least not awkward like some competitors & Kia/Hyundai family members can be.

Black Solstice GXP roadster...pulled out of a gas station & followed me almost all the way home. Looked freshly washed, he tried to dodge puddles, then, well, a lost cause with the soaked roads covered in melting snow. Nice little bugger, hot in black.

Over the weekend starting Friday night, saw a gorgeous, clean restored '65 Mustang GT convertible, british racing green, top down, black interior. Saw two '70s-80s Porsche 911 SCs in yellow today, two 914s (one black w/ orange decklid, one white w/ blue stripes, being loaded on a rollback after an accident--had rear ended an Accord and the front end was all mangled). Saw an orange mid '70s Chevy pickup, shortbed stepside, rollin on 20s, well done.

SO MUCH IRONY IN ONE SPOT... unbelievably funny and sad, the irony was coming from so many directions.

Black Prius with:

an obviously gay guy driver

an Obama sticker

a "Stop This Endless War" sticker

a "Health Care For Everyone" sticker

He must feel exceptionally stupid right about now.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Back from a week in mainland China... and as expected, saw a number of new LaCrosses, Regals, and Park Avenues. Interestingly, I haven't seen any of the three (especially the new LaCrosse, which has been sale for a while) driving in the States.

Have to say, the LaCrosse does justify its existence: the rather subtly styled Regal is smaller than expected, and the somewhat gaudy LaCrosse does have presence on the gloomy and rainy streets of southern China (and I suppose Detroit, as well). It's interesting how some car designs work better in certain environments than others.

Circa-'91 Mustang GT with new silver over teal paintjob (paint break just below the belt, very clean), new rims, and HYBRID SYNERGY DRIVE emblem from a stinkin' Prius on the hatchgate.:blink::nono:

But it's a full on Hybrid you know, seriously. Lump him in with at least 1 or 2 people (local too) with a new Malibu that they've SS'd...even though that's not as much of a stretch...and clobber them both over the head. Then give them some chrome door edging to stick over every sheetmetal end they can find :AH-HA:

ANOTHER last gen CTS with a canvas top...gosh...dark blue, base silver 16" wheels, dark tan canvas top...oh, how PUKE...old people...more money & bad taste than...well...anyone.

Oh, and another new Lincoln MKS with a canvas top too...the kicker? Yet another full boat, 20" wheel'd "sport" model to boot...Grandpa Al getting his dentures knocked out of joint with the stiff ride but oh how he loves his tan canvas top...

Edited by caddycruiser

Circa-'91 Mustang GT with new silver over teal paintjob (paint break just below the belt, very clean), new rims, and HYBRID SYNERGY DRIVE emblem from a stinkin' Prius on the hatchgate.:blink::nono:

Reminds me of the early '90s Camaro IROC-Z Type R VTEC I used to see in Denver..wonder if it's still running around...

A 1974 Coupe De Ville in fantastic condition. It was bronze with a tan landau vinyl roof and tan interior, though I couldn't see if it was cloth or leather. It had decent enough wheel covers.

It also had the original license plate (6 digits with the letter sequence starting with J??); therefore, it was its first plate.

Beautiful, but I like my 28+ mpg on the highway (in both of my cars).

Saw of all things an Olds Firenza 2dr sedan....never knew Olds had that bodystyle--remember 4drs and hatchbacks back in the day. This had flush headlights, front end looked like a smaller Ciera. Must have been a later model.