Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Report: BMW to launch two cars below 1 series by 2014

13 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Hybrid, Europe, Hatchback, BMW, Electric

bmw-megacity-r498x333-c-b6b5425e-302486.According to Auto Motor und Sport, BMW will add two new small cars to slot below the current 1 Series by 2014. One of those vehicles has already been publicly confirmed by the automaker, the Megacity, an urban commuter BMW is developing as a dedicated electric car. The powertrain technology will be an evolution of what was shown a few weeks ago in the ActiveE concept at the Detroit Auto Show.

The other vehicle is more speculative at this point, but will likely be powered by an internal combustion engine and is reportedly intended to compete with the new Audi A1 in the premium B segment. This car will probably use a range of new three cylinder engines and may even get a hybrid version. The platform is still up in the air, but BMW is reportedly developing a small front-wheel drive platform in-house or opt to purchase an existing platform from another company if the development proves too expensive.

[source: Auto Motor und Sport]

Report: BMW to launch two cars below 1 series by 2014 originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Uzlg7lJZUX4:6Yn4Z-ua8wI:wF9xT autoblog?i=Uzlg7lJZUX4:6Yn4Z-ua8wI:V_sGL
Uzlg7lJZUX4

View the full article

The other vehicle is more speculative at this point, but will likely be powered by an internal combustion engine and is reportedly intended to compete with the new Audi A1 in the premium B segment. This car will probably use a range of new three cylinder engines and may even get a hybrid version. The platform is still up in the air, but BMW is reportedly developing a small front-wheel drive platform in-house or opt to purchase an existing platform from another company if the development proves too expensive.

Overlapping w/ Mini, it sounds like. The idea of a FWD BMW is heresy..disgusting. Is nothing sacred? What next, FWD 4cyl Porsches? Ferraris? Aston Martins? (wait a minute...Cygnet..)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Overlapping w/ Mini, it sounds like. The idea of a FWD BMW is heresy..disgusting. Is nothing sacred? What next, FWD 4cyl Porsches? Ferraris? Aston Martins? (wait a minute...Cygnet..)

I think the person writing the article forgot that the MINI exists already...

What I'd like to see for that small electric hehicle is the Isetta brand returning. Now that would be fun to see!

If they do this and make something like an Isetta sub-brand of BMW, they could pull it off as long as they make it an Isetta first and BMW second. Sort of how Toyota made Scion a succe..... uh.... wait.

I think the person writing the article forgot that the MINI exists already...

What I'd like to see for that small electric hehicle is the Isetta brand returning. Now that would be fun to see!

Ditto on the Isetta but who will be brave enough to brand Messerschmitt

messerschmitt-1.jpg

Terrible idea, they already have Mini, nothing should be below the 1-series. Do a 1-series diesel if they want a dinky fuel sipper. The Audi A1 is a bad idea too, isn't that why they have the Golf/Jetta/Scirrocco. What is nice about the Jaguar, is everything is rear drive and a proper luxury car, no front drive hatchback junk.

What is nice about the Jaguar, is everything is rear drive and a proper luxury car, no front drive hatchback junk.

with at least one vehicle sharing bits from the old Lincoln LS

Do a 1-series diesel if they want a dinky fuel sipper.

Which of the following flavours do you prefer: 116d, 118d, 120d, or 123d? :AH-HA:

Which of the following flavours do you prefer: 116d, 118d, 120d, or 123d? :AH-HA:

120d is good. It has 175 hp and 258 lb-ft, that is pretty good for a small car. Although the 123d with 295 lb-ft is pretty sweet. Those get Prius-like mileage too, without the wimpy 115 hp engine and wedge of cheese styling.

120d is good. It has 175 hp and 258 lb-ft, that is pretty good for a small car. Although the 123d with 295 lb-ft is pretty sweet. Those get Prius-like mileage too, without the wimpy 115 hp engine and wedge of cheese styling.

:lol: @ the bolded bit! Hilarious!

I drove a 120d for 3 days whle the MINI was in the shop - dude at the dealership was nice and he threw in the BMW at MINI rental rates :)

Awesome car to drive! 125mph on the motorway feels extremely silent and effortless...