NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Pictured in U.S. Patent Drawings

28 posts in this topic

2012 Dodge Durango SUV Pictured in U.S. Patent Drawings

A Carscoop reader dropped these patent drawings of an unnamed Dodge SUV model in our mailbox last night. We performed a search of our own and can confirm that the images are indeed authentic.

And while there's always a possibility that we are wrong here, but from what we can tell by comparing the drawings to the latest scoops from around the web, it appears that the SUV - Crossover - CUV (take your pick) featured here is the 2012 Dodge Durango, or whatever else the Chrysler Group decides to call this model.

If you follow the jump and click the respective links, you'll see that the so-called 2012 (or 2011) Durango seen in the spy shots shares many styling cues with the vehicle pictured in these patent drawings.

These include the pronounced arches on the front and rear fenders, the shape of the window frames and the exhaust pipes. Even though under cover, the shape and styling of the headlamps and tail lights also imply that this is the same vehicle.

It is believed that the new Dodge CUV will make use of a lengthened version of the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee's platform, which itself is derived from the latest Mercedes-Benz ML.

That said, the Dodge model will most likely be offered with the same 3.6-liter Pentastar and 5.7-liter V8 churning out 280HP and 360HP respectively, found on the 2011 Grand Cherokee.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/02/2012-dodge-durango-suv-pictured-in-us.html

Filed under: Spy Photos, Crossover, Dodge

web2012-dodge-durango-1.jpg
2012 Dodge Magnum patent drawings - Click above for image gallery

Imperfect though it may have been, we kinda miss the Dodge Magnum. Building a low-slung wagon and dropping a Hemi into it took a lot of guts on Chrysler's part. And while it may have been discontinued, it appears to be slated for an encore, albeit in name only.

As we reported a couple of weeks back, Chrysler is considering bringing the Magnum nameplate back for a new crossover to replace the Durango. New U.S. patent drawings have leaked onto the interwebs, giving us a good look at how the new Magnum will appear when it hits the road, anticipated sometime next year as a 2011 or 2012 model.

The new Magnum will definitely be taller than the old one, but considerably more car-like than the body-on-frame Durango it replaces. Underpinnings are expected to be borrowed from the highly anticipated new Jeep Grand Cherokee, with 280-horsepower 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 and 360-hp V8 5.7L V8 on offer.

[source: Carscoop]

Patent drawings reveal Durango-replacing 2012 Dodge Magnum? originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=aYtQ_TmKnmw:opyklOCbOM4:wF9xT autoblog?i=aYtQ_TmKnmw:opyklOCbOM4:V_sGL
aYtQ_TmKnmw

View the full article

Looks pretty good in those sketches. The only issue will be is how it is named. The Dodge Durango EXPLODER or something like that.

It looks like an evolution of the first-gen Durango. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I don't think there's a single design cue from the current Durango that's worth saving.

Looks sharp! I also see first gen cues in there, which is good because I always preferred it to the second gen.

Side note: apparently this may not be called the Durango at all but may be called Magnum.

Looks sharp! I also see first gen cues in there, which is good because I always preferred it to the second gen.

Side note: apparently this may not be called the Durango at all but may be called Magnum.

I'd heard that rumor elsewhere. The question is, would it be badged as a Dodge or a Ram?

Reminds me more of the first-gen Durango, which is a very good thing compared to Porky, the current model.

The Magnum has been a coupe, wagon, and now it's going to be a tweener mid/full-sized SUV. :rolleyes:

Dodge should stick with the Durango name for this one. The obvious first-gen cues make it very recognizable as a Durango and I'm sure the quality would reverse any bad-stink associated with the nameplate. The 2012 Durango will be to its class now what the original 1998 version was to its class when it was new. The second-gen Dakota/Durango were pretty good trucks.

The Magnum has been a coupe, wagon, and now it's going to be a tweener mid/full-sized SUV. rolleyes.gif

Dodge should stick with the Durango name for this one. The obvious first-gen cues make it very recognizable as a Durango and I'm sure the quality would reverse any bad-stink associated with the nameplate. The 2012 Durango will be to its class now what the original 1998 version was to its class when it was new. The second-gen Dakota/Durango were pretty good trucks.

The stink is why it needs to go....most people think of a durango as a serious gas hog with issues.....

Not bad, but I'm not a fan of the front end. It is better looking than the current one.

The stink is why it needs to go....most people think of a durango as a serious gas hog with issues.....

Moot point, Dave. I'm sure people thought of the 2004 - 2008 as a dumpy American car with bad styling but the 2008 model managed to make people reconsider their perceptions. If this new Durango replacement is anything like the new Grand Cherokee, it can go a long way in changing the negative equity that the Durango name holds because of a less than stellar second-generation model.

If they don't call it a Durango, they should call it Ramcharger if its sold under the Ram brand name. Seriously.

Edited by whiteknight

Rmacharger would be a cool name. As for teh Magnum name, it's not a badge used exclusively on one type of vehicle, so I wouldn't mind/care if they called it that, especially since its in keeping with Dodge's naming scheme.

That said, this clearly looks like an evolution of the first gen Durango and it makes more sense to keep the name. Then again most buyers probably wouldn't be able to point out the original or the new one if the badges weren't there.

I'm sure people thought of the 2004 - 2008 as a dumpy American car with bad styling but the 2008 model managed to make people reconsider their perceptions.

What the hell? From the way I've been typing and writing lately, it's like someone shot my brain full of morphine. Of course I am talking about the 2004 to 2008 and 2008 to present Malibu here. Sorry about that.

Rmacharger would be a cool name. As for teh Magnum name, it's not a badge used exclusively on one type of vehicle, so I wouldn't mind/care if they called it that, especially since its in keeping with Dodge's naming scheme.

I don't know. Magnum doesn't fit alongside Dakota and Ram to me like Durango or Ramcharger would.

I see a lot of Trailblazer in the doors and greenhouse.

More like 9-7X.

The Durango has always been an interesting SUV - smaller than a full-sized one, yet because it has a foot well for the third row, it's roomy enough back there.

Its fuel economy will definitely trail unibody SUVs, so hopefully its capabilities can make up for that.

More like 9-7X.

The Durango has always been an interesting SUV - smaller than a full-sized one, yet because it has a foot well for the third row, it's roomy enough back there.

Its fuel economy will definitely trail unibody SUVs, so hopefully its capabilities can make up for that.

The new Durango/Magnum will share a platform with the 2011 Grand Cherokee.....which is unibody. It will also utilize Chrysler's brand new Pentastar line of V6's, that achieve excellent fuel economy. The HEMI, with MDS, already gets good mileage for a V8.

More like 9-7X.

That was my first thought as well. I see a lot of 9-7X in there, but it looks nice at any rate.

Moot point, Dave. I'm sure people thought of the 2004 - 2008 as a dumpy American car with bad styling but the 2008 model managed to make people reconsider their perceptions. If this new Durango replacement is anything like the new Grand Cherokee, it can go a long way in changing the negative equity that the Durango name holds because of a less than stellar second-generation model.

If they don't call it a Durango, they should call it Ramcharger if its sold under the Ram brand name. Seriously.

Now Ramcharger would be cool. I dig that...