Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Morons Clunkerize Rare GMC Syclone Super Truck

10 posts in this topic

Morons Clunkerize Rare GMC Syclone Super Truck

We like the turbocharged GMC Syclone pickup so much that we helped you put it in a video game. We were also saddened to discover one that Syclone became a Cash For Clunkers victim. Save the Syclones!

Nathan B. Adlen, the proprietor of Aadlen Bros. Auto Wrecking, is one of the most experienced auto wreckers on the West Coast. When the Syclone showed up at his shop, he instantly knew what it was.

"It's a Cash for Clunkers [car] that came in, and it's still totally as I [received] it," says Adlen. "It's missing some of the ground effects and a radio, but otherwise, it's a nice, complete Syclone."

Sort of. Because the Syclone is a Cash for Clunkers car, there's one other problem with it: The dealer that took it in trade performed the old legally required liquid glass trick and killed the engine. Adlen is hoping that Syclone owners out there in need of parts will reach out to him, and he's taking advantage of the 90-day extension to postpone destroying it.

Considering that fewer than 3,000 Syclones were built, this is a sad hit to an endangered species. (Remember, too, that many examples of the GMC Typhoon, the Syclone's sister truck, were clunkered.) The Adler Bros. car doesn't appear on the master list of Cash For Clunkers trade-ins, but it's possible that it was one of the forty-eight versions of the 1991 GMC Sonoma 4WD that the program took in.

We hope this is the only Syclone to be clunkered. Help what's left end up in the right hands!

link:

http://jalopnik.com/5462441/morons-clunkerize-rare-gmc-syclone-super-truck

We have several GMC Typhoon, the Syclone's in our areas that may soon find the end of the road too.

In this case they are well used up and not worth the price to restore. But I still hate to see them go.

I almost bought one years ago and wish I had.

On the plus side we put the front drive in s 32 Ford at work and it will do 0-60 in just over 3 seconds. I think it was Car and Driver that got that number when the tested it years ago. There are many things one could do with that drive line.

We have several GMC Typhoon, the Syclone's in our areas that may soon find the end of the road too.

In this case they are well used up and not worth the price to restore. But I still hate to see them go.

Yeah, the local scene had a couple Syclone and one Typhoon. They appeared to be driven and used just like any other mini-truck and SUV, eventually sold off or just too expensive to maintain. At least one Syclone ended up with a number of rust holes at door corners, showing its age. They weren't exactly held in high esteem around here... just another truck.

Yeah, the local scene had a couple Syclone and one Typhoon. They appeared to be driven and used just like any other mini-truck and SUV, eventually sold off or just too expensive to maintain. At least one Syclone ended up with a number of rust holes at door corners, showing its age. They weren't exactly held in high esteem around here... just another truck.

Same here it was just a fast truck nothing more. THe one I looked at was used with low miles and I could have gotten it for $10K back in the 90's.

To be honest they are not all that much on the collector markets yet either. Hemmings did have a feature on the special Marboro Syclone. IT was a give away and had T tops with a special paint and trim.

At least if they were used up someone enjoyed them vs just letting it collect dust in a garage somewhere.

Some vehicles end up with owners who don't know what they got. Maybe through divorce or estates someone got a GMC Syclone and wanted to "get rid of it, it's just another truck".

Some vehicles end up with owners who don't know what they got. Maybe through divorce or estates someone got a GMC Syclone and wanted to "get rid of it, it's just another truck".

Maybe...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0