NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM says it's too soon to tell if rivals gained from Toyota's troubles

14 posts in this topic

Chrissie Thompson

Automotive News -- February 2, 2010 - 5:28 pm ET

DETROIT -- Seeking to capitalize on Toyota's recall crisis last week, General Motors Co. offered rebates to Toyota and Lexus owners. But GM and other automakers lacked time to alter January sales much, GM analyst Mike DiGiovanni said today.

GM estimates that Toyota lost 25,000 units of January sales from its recall related to stuck accelerators, DiGiovanni said. But January had only five selling days left when Toyota Motor Corp. stopped sales of eight models -- insufficient time for consumers who had planned to buy a Toyota to choose an alternative, he said.

“I think the gains for all the OEMs other than Toyota were fairly marginal,” DiGiovanni said. “We'll know a heck of a lot more in February, if this continues.”

GM's light-vehicle sales rose 14 percent in January from year-ago levels, aided by strong fleet sales.Last week GM launched incentives to persuade Toyota and Lexus owners to buy a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac. The offers, valid through February, range from $1,000 off a purchase price to 0 percent financing for up to 60 months.

It's too early to quantify the impact of those incentives, said Susan Docherty, GM's sales chief.

The next step is to create focus groups, she said. “What we think is important to do is find out what's going on in the Toyota owner's head right now,” Docherty said.

GM's sales increase in January was driven by fleet sales that more than tripled from unusually low levels in January 2009, when the company's plants were on extended holiday shutdowns. Last month's fleet numbers made up 29 percent of GM's total sales -- a couple of percentage points higher than the automaker's target, DiGiovanni said.

Despite retail sales that fell 10 percent, GM's four ongoing U.S. brands had a 20.7 percent market share last month, up from 15.8 percent in January 2009.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100202/RETAIL01/100209967/1400#ixzz0eQsVJOJs

Chrissie Thompson

Automotive News -- February 2, 2010 - 5:28 pm ET

DETROIT -- Seeking to capitalize on Toyota's recall crisis last week, General Motors Co. offered rebates to Toyota and Lexus owners. But GM and other automakers lacked time to alter January sales much, GM analyst Mike DiGiovanni said today.

GM estimates that Toyota lost 25,000 units of January sales from its recall related to stuck accelerators, DiGiovanni said. But January had only five selling days left when Toyota Motor Corp. stopped sales of eight models -- insufficient time for consumers who had planned to buy a Toyota to choose an alternative, he said.

“I think the gains for all the OEMs other than Toyota were fairly marginal,” DiGiovanni said. “We'll know a heck of a lot more in February, if this continues.”

GM's light-vehicle sales rose 14 percent in January from year-ago levels, aided by strong fleet sales.Last week GM launched incentives to persuade Toyota and Lexus owners to buy a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac. The offers, valid through February, range from $1,000 off a purchase price to 0 percent financing for up to 60 months.

It's too early to quantify the impact of those incentives, said Susan Docherty, GM's sales chief.

The next step is to create focus groups, she said. “What we think is important to do is find out what's going on in the Toyota owner's head right now,” Docherty said.

GM's sales increase in January was driven by fleet sales that more than tripled from unusually low levels in January 2009, when the company's plants were on extended holiday shutdowns. Last month's fleet numbers made up 29 percent of GM's total sales -- a couple of percentage points higher than the automaker's target, DiGiovanni said.

Despite retail sales that fell 10 percent, GM's four ongoing U.S. brands had a 20.7 percent market share last month, up from 15.8 percent in January 2009.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100202/RETAIL01/100209967/1400#ixzz0eQsVJOJs

Well how many recalls do you get before it matters?

I am sure GM will see some gain but Hyundia, Honda and Ford will be the the ones to see the most gain I fear.

I hope I am wrong on this! I just don't thing GM has won enough trust for a Toyota buyer to come over in large numbers yet. Now if this had happened when they had more new product like the Cruze, new Malibu and new Aveo out in a year or two things could have been different.

You might get a Toyota owner to try a new Cruze but you will never get them in a Cobalt. Now would you want too.

Edited by hyperv6

It's for this reason that I'd predict that the SUV/Truck/Large Car sales from Toyota would bleed to GM and Ford, the smaller stuff would bleed over to Hyundai and Honda.

I am sure GM will see some gain but Hyundia, Honda and Ford will be the the ones to see the most gain I fear.

I hope I am wrong on this! I just don't thing GM has won enough trust for a Toyota buyer to come over in large numbers yet. Now if this had happened when they had more new product like the Cruze, new Malibu and new Aveo out in a year or two things could have been different.

You might get a Toyota owner to try a new Cruze but you will never get them in a Cobalt. Now would you want too.

Lacrosse blew away the ES by having almost 50% more sales

Equinox outsold RAV-4 by itself... and then you can add in Terrain sales if you want.

Malibu outsold the Camry.

Even the lame duck Lucerne sold almost double the Avalon

CTS outsold the IS... and was only 200 units away from outselling the IS + GS combined

Escalade sold 8 times as many LXes

Cobalt + HHR sold about 1,000 units more than Corolla + Matrix <Toyota doesn't separate the two in their reports>

Traverse by it self outsold the Highlander by 1,200 units.

Acadia outsold Highlander by 900 units.

In fact, FJ Cruiser + Highlander + 4Runner + Land Cruiser + Sequoia (9,536) combined still sold less than just the Acadia + Traverse (11,184)

RX + GX sold 7217 while the SRX + Enclave sold 7309.

I combined some of the numbers because the price points don't always match up with size points.

Sure, some of those numbers are fleet... but when was the last time the map looked like that?

Good comparison it'd be nice to see a few yrs of those #'s then a runnaway for GM when the new stuff comes online :smilewide::Toyota::chevy: all the way!

:deathwatch:

If you squint real hard some of those match ups almost work.

What kind of time span are you using? The time involved makes a big differance. If it includes any of the down time at Toyota it is only short term since they are not selling many of these models.

I jsut heard a report that Toyota is trying to quiet the lawyer that worked for them and they paid off $3M to clam up. I guess he wants to speak out on how Toyota has know about this for a long time. If this news breaks Toyota will see long time hurt and lost of trust.

"I jsut heard a report that Toyota is trying to quiet the lawyer that worked for them and they paid off $3M to clam up. I guess he wants to speak out on how Toyota has know about this for a long time. If this news breaks Toyota will see long time hurt and lost of trust."

:dance::booyah::yes::thumbsup::gitfunky:

Edited by 67impss

"I jsut heard a report that Toyota is trying to quiet the lawyer that worked for them and they paid off $3M to clam up. I guess he wants to speak out on how Toyota has know about this for a long time. If this news breaks Toyota will see long time hurt and lost of trust."

:dance::booyah::yes::thumbsup::gitfunky:

Now that lawyer is being subpoened to testify in Washington - and Toyoda himself is going to come down from the heavens and grace us mere mortals with his words of wisdom.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen! As I predicted 2 years ago, the media would turn on Toyota once it achieved world dominance. And now it has! Karma is a bitch. Not that any of this is new, to those of us who once worked in the auto industry! Hell, even the Toyota Star published front page news 2 weeks ago about Toyota's foibles. I guess Toyota stopped sending them their monthly cheques!

I would be loathe to defend Toyota, but what is it about our culture that loves to tear down #1? It took the media 2 decades to destroy GM, and now that is has, it has turned its jaundiced eye to Toyota. Toyota's cars are no better and no worse than the bland, POS that they built 3 or 5 years ago, but the difference now is that they have a target painted on their back because they are #1.

However, Toyota's fall from grace will be swift and permanent: they have no cache of nostalgia or legions of loyal follwers who remember 'back in the day...' to fall back on. Their vehicles have never been desirable; they only appeal to the grossly ignorant - and those are the most capricious of all consumers! Once Consumer's Reports has abandoned them, their really won't be any relevance left to this car company. The only claim to fame they ever had was their mythology of durability and quality. With that gone, what else is left?

2010 is looking like a very, very good year, indeed!

Now that lawyer is being subpoened to testify in Washington - and Toyoda himself is going to come down from the heavens and grace us mere mortals with his words of wisdom.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen! As I predicted 2 years ago, the media would turn on Toyota once it achieved world dominance. And now it has! Karma is a bitch. Not that any of this is new, to those of us who once worked in the auto industry! Hell, even the Toyota Star published front page news 2 weeks ago about Toyota's foibles. I guess Toyota stopped sending them their monthly cheques!

I would be loathe to defend Toyota, but what is it about our culture that loves to tear down #1? It took the media 2 decades to destroy GM, and now that is has, it has turned its jaundiced eye to Toyota. Toyota's cars are no better and no worse than the bland, POS that they built 3 or 5 years ago, but the difference now is that they have a target painted on their back because they are #1.

However, Toyota's fall from grace will be swift and permanent: they have no cache of nostalgia or legions of loyal follwers who remember 'back in the day...' to fall back on. Their vehicles have never been desirable; they only appeal to the grossly ignorant - and those are the most capricious of all consumers! Once Consumer's Reports has abandoned them, their really won't be any relevance left to this car company. The only claim to fame they ever had was their mythology of durability and quality. With that gone, what else is left?

2010 is looking like a very, very good year, indeed!

Gotta say- BIG +1 on this one.......

" Hey honey, it's time to buy a new fridge, er...Camry."

People loyal to two of their long time superstars "Corolla & Camry", are not going to stop the huge bleed coming....

GM should have an answer by the next decade if they gained gound this year. The rest of the world will know this year but GM will spend millions doing a ten year study. GoFritzRS

GM should have an answer by the next decade if they gained gound this year. The rest of the world will know this year but GM will spend millions doing a ten year study. GoFritzRS

Even in the age of internet?

I think February numbers should start the story.

I was thinking that or March sounds good...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor