Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Geneva Preview: 2011 Kia Sportage gets stylish new duds

8 posts in this topic

Filed under: Geneva Motor Show, Crossover, Kia

kia-sportage-north-american-spec-frontop
2011 Kia Sportage - Click above for high-res image gallery

When Kia introduced the original Sportage in North America in the early 1990s, the best thing it had going for it was a low-ball price. There was nothing particularly compelling about the way it looked or drove, though it was at least passable on both counts. When the Geneva Motor Show opens up next month, the third-generation Sportage will finally bring the compact crossover to the head of the class in appearance.

Looking like a 5/8-scale version of the recently introduced Sorento, the new Sportage incorporates the Peter Schreyer-penned Kia design language in an an aggressive looking package that should stand out among the Escapes, Rav4s and CR-Vs of the world. The new model is longer, lower and wider, but Kia hasn't released any other details yet.

We expect that the Sportage will have the same 2.4-liter inline-four found in the new Hyundai Tucson when it arrives Stateside this fall, although other markets will get a range of gas and diesel power options from which to choose. Full press release after the jump.

[source: Kia]

Continue reading Geneva Preview: 2011 Kia Sportage gets stylish new duds

Geneva Preview: 2011 Kia Sportage gets stylish new duds originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 03 Feb 2010 03:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=aDBnrpsjLLY:Hrx1ILnlizw:wF9xT autoblog?i=aDBnrpsjLLY:Hrx1ILnlizw:V_sGL
aDBnrpsjLLY

View the full article

Wow, that is very impressive looking. I like it a lot!

likewise. love that rear window shape, kind of like the astra. overall, very nice. now those who want a kia with some space don't have to get a Soul.

I'm gonna assume a cheap fwd version of this with stick might be in my future budget.

Fairly spunky, that.

typically in the past, things like stability control, bluetooth and USB were all packaged into pricey option groups.

But now on SUV's stability control is pretty much mandated, and Kia seems to generally have USB and Bluetooth standard or available cheap.

I will guess a very base version of this might be without power windows and cruise. But the next version, maybe not.

Kia's new Sorento already comes with incentive money. Kia makes no bones about selling its wares cheap. They can afford to, due to the slave labor.

Although, I still would feel some guilt buying a Kia, when I could buy say, an Escape. I thought about that as I drove the rental Altima this weekend after driving by the Fairfax Malibu plant in KC this past weekend.

I like the Forte but its not as practical as this. Kia and Hyundai are really assaulting the market these days.

Dude get your facts straight a bit, South Korean factory works get paid pretty much what American works get paid.

typically in the past, things like stability control, bluetooth and USB were all packaged into pricey option groups.

But now on SUV's stability control is pretty much mandated, and Kia seems to generally have USB and Bluetooth standard or available cheap.

I will guess a very base version of this might be without power windows and cruise. But the next version, maybe not.

Kia's new Sorento already comes with incentive money. Kia makes no bones about selling its wares cheap. They can afford to, due to the slave labor.

Although, I still would feel some guilt buying a Kia, when I could buy say, an Escape. I thought about that as I drove the rental Altima this weekend after driving by the Fairfax Malibu plant in KC this past weekend.

I like the Forte but its not as practical as this. Kia and Hyundai are really assaulting the market these days.

The Sorento and Altima are both made in the US, albeit in the South. Labor costs only make up a small portion of a vehicle's price.

I have to say... Kia is definitely on a styling roll here. The Forte Koup looks great, apart from the badge, as does this. Kia's design chief used to design for VAG and was in charge of cars like the TT and Gallardo.

It's not a bad design, but I find the bulbous cues of the design to sometimes clash a little bit with some of the angles and creases, depending on how I look at it.