Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Report: Next Chevy Camaro to use Cadillac ATS platform?

77 posts in this topic

Filed under: Convertible, Coupe, Performance, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Rumormill

2010camaross001-630.jpg
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Click above for high-res image gallery

The fifth-generation Chevrolet Camaro has been on the road for less than a year in production form, but, according to Motor Trend, General Motors is already considering a followup act. The current model is based on GM's Zeta rear-wheel drive platform that was developed by Holden in Australia. While the Zeta cars, the Camaro and the late Pontiac G8, have generally been praised for their dynamics, they are not perfect. The platform is heavy and many of the originally anticipated additional applications have not materialized, raising the per vehicle cost in the process.

Last summer in the wake of bankruptcy, GM showed off many of its upcoming vehicles to members of the media, including a new smaller Cadillac dubbed ATS. The ATS rides on a new rear-wheel drive platform that has been referred to as Alpha. GM didn't disclose exactly what they were calling the ATS platform, but they did tell us that it would be shared with the next-generation CTS which will likely grow a bit to better compete with the BMW 5 Series. Given the economics of building cars and the volumes expected for both the Cadillacs and the Camaro, it makes sense that the Camaro would move over to the Alpha architecture. One of the goals for all three models will be reduced mass, necessary to meet new fuel economy standards and improve performance.

[source: Motor Trend]

Report: Next Chevy Camaro to use Cadillac ATS platform? originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=lBnilX-dpzc:C5srCz8EjwY:wF9xT autoblog?i=lBnilX-dpzc:C5srCz8EjwY:V_sGL
lBnilX-dpzc

View the full article

wonder what the power plants will be like by then.... 2014? will the 3.6 have another 20+hp? or will the 3.0L be an adequate v6 or will it be turboed? will the 5.5L give it a high 20's mpg? how much weight will be cut...hopefully make it a little lighter than the stang, that'd be awesome.

I could seriously see them making a case for a turbo ecotec in a lower end Camaro on this platform....

and why not? They can already get the thing to have 3.6-DI like power so putting it in a smaller/lighter platform is a no-brainer.

if this is true, then i guess they are going to have to engineer this thing to accept a small block, perhaps that new 5.5L version that is being rumored.

I could seriously see them making a case for a turbo ecotec in a lower end Camaro on this platform....

and why not? They can already get the thing to have 3.6-DI like power so putting it in a smaller/lighter platform is a no-brainer.

I like your thinking....thumbsup.gif

I was thinking the same thing....

Sounds good. I hope the new Camaro get a premium trim level for the interior as an option. I can't believe they are going to make the CTS larger yet again. yuck.

2.0T (300hp) and 3.6T (400hp) for LS/LT, 5.5 N/A (450hp) for SS and 5.5T (550hp) for Z/28.

Like we did not know this was coming.

I suspect this is what we will see due to CAFE and the car being much lighter.

Camaro with a Eco or what ever 4 cylinder Turbo GM has in 5 years with 300+ HP.

The Camaro SS with a V6 Twin Turbo with 400+ HP. Note the Leno Twin Turbo was a feeler to see what people would say.

The Z28 with a V8 at 500 HP in low volume.

The V8 will be based on if it will fit this platform and if Ford keep with the V8 in the Mustange. They have floated flags on dropping the V8 and going V6 Turbo in the GT of the future.

The key to all this is the lighter car will give improvments in braking and handling that more HP would never do in a heavier car. You can gain in more areas of performance with the lower mass leading to a Camaro that could easily out perform the present car in many areas.

CTS and ATS on the same platform? There is a reason the 3-series and 5-series don't share a platform, and a reason the C-class and E-class don't share a platform.

because BMW and Benz can amortize the costs of the larger platforms over fleets of taxis?

I have no problem with GM making a very flexible, lightweight, RWD platform and using it across the lineup.

CTS and ATS on the same platform? There is a reason the 3-series and 5-series don't share a platform, and a reason the C-class and E-class don't share a platform.

Audi has ONE modular platform from A4 to A8 on which future Bentley Continental will be based. And it is partially true about C and E not sharing platforms. E coupe is based on C platform.

And your favorite Jaguar shares platform with a dated Ford!

Audi has ONE modular platform from A4 to A8 on which future Bentley Continental will be based. And it is partially true about C and E not sharing platforms. E coupe is based on C platform.

And your favorite Jaguar shares platform with a dated Ford!

E coupe does because their is no C-class coupe, and the E coupe is smaller than the E sedan, so they need a smaller platform. Audi does not have the prestige or sales of BMW and Benz. The XF's platform was revised from the S-type platform, but even though it is old, the car has the ride and handling to go toe to toe with the 5-series. What I am looking forward to is when the XF moves to an aluminum frame. Jaguar still has prestige, and now they have funding, Jaguar will be just fine.

E coupe does because their is no C-class coupe, and the E coupe is smaller than the E sedan, so they need a smaller platform.

A C-class coupe is coming, by the way.

What would the size differences be 'twixt the Zeta and the Alpha ?

If the ATS is inline size-wise with the 3-series... the Camaro doesn't need to that small (tho lighter is fine). It would come off somewhat as a caricature of itself, IMO.

What would the size differences be 'twixt the Zeta and the Alpha ?

If the ATS is inline size-wise with the 3-series... the Camaro doesn't need to that small (tho lighter is fine). It would come off somewhat as a caricature of itself, IMO.

3-series is 178-183 inches long. Camaro is about 190, G8 is 196 inches long. Looks like the next Camaro will be more the size of the Genesis coupe.

Like we did not know this was coming.

I suspect this is what we will see due to CAFE and the car being much lighter.

Camaro with a Eco or what ever 4 cylinder Turbo GM has in 5 years with 300+ HP.

The Camaro SS with a V6 Twin Turbo with 400+ HP. Note the Leno Twin Turbo was a feeler to see what people would say.

The Z28 with a V8 at 500 HP in low volume.

imagine the backlash alot of the "traditional" camaro buyers with the SS model being a V6.... even with that kinda power, those 2 extra cylinders are needed.

Audi has ONE modular platform from A4 to A8 on which future Bentley Continental will be based.

Actually, I think the count stops at 7, on the to be released Audi A7... IIRC the new A8 is on the same platform as the preovious one. BMW is following a different approach as they will have a small RWD platform for the 1-Series and the 3-Series, and a large RWD platform for the 5-Series, 6-Series and 7-Series. But your point is valid and GM should consider modularity as it engineers Alpha.

Edited by ZL-1

Actually, I think the count stops at 7, on the to be released Audi A7... IIRC the new A8 is on the same platform as the preovious one. BMW is following a different approach as they will have a small RWD platform for the 1-Series and the 3-Series, and a large RWD platform for the 5-Series, 6-Series and 7-Series. But your point is valid and GM should consider modularity as it engineers Alpha.

If Wikepedia is correct.

I have been of this position. GM needs three-four solid modular platforms.

One BOF RWD for the GMTs

One RWD unibody from smaller ATS to any RWD SUVs

One FWD transverse unibody from Spark to Malibu et. al.

One FWD logitudnal unibody from Lacrosse to Lambdas.

The beauty of modularity is it does not come with the constraints of the traditional platforms. Weight saving measures can be equally applied to all vehicles of different modules.

imagine the backlash alot of the "traditional" camaro buyers with the SS model being a V6.... even with that kinda power, those 2 extra cylinders are needed.

Although if Cadillac is losing V8s, then why should a lower end Chevy have one. Cadillac should have a V8 before a Camaro or Tahoe. GM just wants to put a V6 or Ecotech in everything in order to meet CAFE while selling gas hog Silverados and Suburbans because it is the only vehicle they make profit on. But that is an unsustainable business practice that led to bankruptcy once and could again.

I think you would be suprised how thinking of many has started to change. Many of the Import buyers who left GM long ago many have found 2 less Cylinders mean little if you have the power.

Besides the V8 will be around but not available in the same number in 5-10 yers as it is today. That is why I would expect the Z28 would help offer the V8 to those who have Cylinder issues over HP issues.

The other thing fact involved too is if Ford retains the V8 in the next gen Mustang in 2014.

No need to imagine.

smk4565

Because Chevy uses pushrods and Caddy cant have those now can they. You post all over these boards that Caddy should not use the LS's and should be DBL OHC this & that but then you want Chevy to only be 4 or 6 slugs prob w/o turbos. Chevy will be the value leader of GM and that means the best you can get for your buck. Personaly I think that they should go back to the pushrod 60* V6's & add ALL the goodies. The 3.9l was a nice engine if made in an aluminum block to lighten things up and incorporate turbos we'd have a real winner for base full sizer or upper level mid's.

Edited by 67impss

A few thoughts.

• We've known the F6 Camaro will be on Alpha for quite some time now. Woo. Big surprise there.
  • I don't see why everyone thinks a Z/28 should have the upper hand in the power department. That really goes against the original concept of the Z/28. The Z/28 was a track handling package and cars equipped with it only had the second biggest V8.
  • A V6 SS Camaro would be very dumb. Preach the benefits and the new way of thinking all you want, but its something Camaro fans will not get behind.
  • I can see a turbo four-cylinder base engine for Camaros, but the base level car should have a V6 optional.
  • The SS should have a ground-pounding V8 and a Z/28 should have supreme road handling abilities just like the old days so that you can have a car that will appeal to two different buyers. Customer A probably wants to go fast in a straight line and blast down the Interstate and Customer B wants to be able to carve mountain roads. If someone wants both, allow for the SS model cars to have the Z/28s beefed up suspension bits in a SS-specific package and let a Z/28 owner get an uprated engine in a Z/28-specific package.
  • I wouldn't be surprised at all if the F6 draws inspiration from the second-generation F-Bodies. Initially the F5 was going to as well. Designers really liked working with the fastback design cues. In addition to that, the second-generation F-Bodies were true designer's cars and set the basic themes that the third and fourth-gen cars would draw from. You can tell the first-generation cars, while they were excellent designs, followed the Mustang's basic design formula very close. The same is true of the F5 model, although it is distinctly a Camaro.

Edited by whiteknight

>>"I don't see why everyone thinks a Z/28 should have the upper hand in the power department. That really goes against the original concept of the Z/28. The Z/28 was a track handling package and cars equipped with it only had the second biggest V8."<<

To get technical, the original Z/28 was also a performance package. Engine was the 302. Cubes 'disadvantage' aside, 302 was rated @ 295 HP, but estimates place it more like 350. In straight-line performance, the 302 was nearly tied with the 396 (14.8 vs. 14.7 quarter mile).

Edited by balthazar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0