Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Baby, Let's Cruze: Chevy reportedly weighing four-door coupe, SS variants

17 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Performance, Chevrolet

cruze-web630.jpg
2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Click above for high-res image gallery

General Motors has been looking for ways to capitalize on the investments made in its platforms by increasing the number (and retail price) of the vehicles sharing them. Hence, reports of the next-gen Camaro sharing its platform with the upcoming Cadillac ATS and CTS successor. Now reports suggest that the General is hoping to capitalize on the Delta platform by creating more aggressive, sportily-minded variants of the Chevrolet Cruze.

One option, according to the report in Motor Trend, would be to build a four-door coupe based on the Cruze. The idea would follow the same formula that took the Volkswagen CC and Mercedes CLS up-market from the comparatively humble platforms (Passat and E-Class respectively) on which they're based. The wheelbase and much of the mechanicals would carry over, but a more rakish roofline would give it a sportier profile, at the expense of rear headroom.

Another option fielded once again would create a Cruze SS, with more aggressive suspension and an upgraded 2-liter turbocharged engine. The potential application of all-wheel-drive from the larger Epsilon platform, meanwhile, could be used to aid traction. Either option could stand to bridge the gap between the Cruze and the Camaro. But while the options are presented as "either or", would it be too much to ask for both?

[source: Motor Trend]

Baby, Let's Cruze: Chevy reportedly weighing four-door coupe, SS variants originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 07 Feb 2010 18:39:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=xdRiJ7oj5Bc:LjRWSviv4nE:wF9xT autoblog?i=xdRiJ7oj5Bc:LjRWSviv4nE:V_sGL
xdRiJ7oj5Bc

View the full article

Why is general not committing to a 2-dr coupe version is unbeknown to me. SS should be a no brainer.

Probably because coupe versions historically sell less than sedans because of the lack of doors. A 4-door coupe retains the four door practicality but adds the coupe like profile. Also it's less common than traditional coupes (only the CLS and CC really are 4-door coupes) so its a selling point.

I'd like to see a coupe as well, but I see they reasoning behind a 4-door coupe instead.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it:

501216328_1_B.jpg

Please, GM, just do a proper 2dr coupe.

Probably because coupe versions historically sell less than sedans because of the lack of doors. A 4-door coupe retains the four door practicality but adds the coupe like profile. Also it's less common than traditional coupes (only the CLS and CC really are 4-door coupes) so its a selling point.

I'd like to see a coupe as well, but I see they reasoning behind a 4-door coupe instead.

Cobalt's coupe:sedan sales are almost 1:1. Small coupes do sell well compared to the mid-sizers. Case in point Honda Civic vs. Honda Accord. Cobalt coupe has gotten good reputation, especially in the SS trim so I think GM should do the Cruze version too.

What the hell is a 4-door coupe? Sounds like a bunch of baloney. A proper 2-door coupe is needed in the Cruze lineup to liven it up if they have any hope of competing with the hot new Focus.

It will be intersting to see if they do a Malibu or Cruze in a coupe. Many companies are now starting to offer coupes in the smaller cars agin. VW just showed the Passat Coupe in Detroit.

Coupe a coupe be ready for a rebound?

THey just need to get the whole package right as the Cobalt SS is a blast to drive as the suspension and engine are a dream. The problem is they sold so few of them. I hope it was just because it was a great performaing car based on a old Cobalt. If so a new quaility car would fix that issue.

I was shocked to see how few SS coupes sold and hardly any sedan SS sold. I mean in the sedan we are talking hundreds. Chevy sold even more HHR SS than Cobalt Turbo Coupes and the fact is they sold less than 5K a year even in the best HHR SS year.

If I recal The Cobalt SS turbo Coupe solds like 3K+ in its best year.

I hope they do this but I hope they just get it right. It has to be the whole package and not get crazy on price. The 2.0 Turbo can do wonders for a small car. It already has turned two Chevy turds into stellar cars imagine with the right new cloths for them what they might do.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it:

501216328_1_B.jpg

Please, GM, just do a proper 2dr coupe.

I thought of the same thing, but with the exact opposite bias. The quad coupe layout is wonderful. I would much prefer a quad coupe layout than a "here's another regular 4 door car with a differently shaped roof. I have heard a very few people complain about the Ion Quad Coupe being less rigid than it should've been, so that should be addressed, and it's likely to weigh a little more than a 2dr, but other than that I see nothing but upsides.

The ION wasn't doomed by the Quad Coupe--the Quad Coupe was doomed by the ION.

Exactly, the problem was not the quad coupe layout, it was other issues with styling, interior, and some bugs here & there. I have a 3dr coupe and love the 3rd door.

Exactly, the problem was not the quad coupe layout, it was other issues with styling, interior, and some bugs here & there. I have a 3dr coupe and love the 3rd door.

If anything, the ION failed for the trifecta of 1) $h!ty exterior styling, 2) $h!ty interior styling and materials, and 3) not-yet-fully-developed and buggy electronic steering. Had those 3 things been better, the car wouldn't have been derided so much.

The ION would have been a very competitive (if quirky) product in 1998. In 2003, not so much.

The Cruze is a bit small to pull of a 4-door sedan, no? Headroom is an issue in the larger cars mentioned.

A four-door coupe? :facepalm:

No, no. What GM should do is debut a new model of the Cruze with a huge 10-foot long dildo hood ornament called the Cruze Missile.

It would be just as useful and pertinent for Chevrolet as a "four-door coupe."

Edited by whiteknight

even if the 2.0L is de tuned a smidge. it should be obvious.

or make stage 1 and 2 kits for the 1.4L to put out 180hp+.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0