Is the BLS coming for 2007?

daishi48

BLS? WE don;t need no stinkin' BLS. You keep your FWD BuLi$h! cars in the past and look ahead ot a bright new future of an eclectic RWD CTS lineup.

Screw the BLS, just give us a CTS coupe, ragtop and wagon.

Guest YellowJacket894

If they sold that in the U.S., it would be a sales failure.

A FWD Cadillac sedan that shares some content with a Chevy (and other cars, yes)... Smells Like "Cimmaron" Spirit.

Guest YellowJacket894

^ Nope, nope, nope. Leave front-drive to Buick. They're supposed to be the "American Lexus", let them sell what they really need (and should need) to sell.

Caddy has better things to tackle.

It would do just fine if they sold it here as an entry model.  Lexus is still FWD with the ES...

Yeah...I always forget the ES...it's the odd car out...I think of their sedan lineup strictly with the serious models--- IS, GS, LS. Though the ES is their biggest seller, I believe..

Edited by moltar

Yeah...I always forget the ES...it's the odd car out...I think of their sedan lineup strictly with the serious models--- IS, GS, LS. Though the ES is their biggest seller, I believe..

of the sedans... the RX is the biggest seller over all at Lexus.

I really like the styling of the BLS, particularly in that launch baby blue color. It's better looking than the 9-3, IMO, and its appeal is broader... it'll help introduce younger, hipper buyers to Cadillac. If GM can get the price down, which they can't, it'll take away sales from the popular Volvo S40.

It would do just fine if they sold it here as an entry model.  Lexus is still FWD with the ES...

Not exactly-the ES is a larger, truer mid-size car-this is just a big compact as its based on the Saab 9-3. Looks nice and Cadillac-like here, and there is a market for this kind of car-Audi A4, Acura TSX, etc. I wouldn't want to see it here personally, but that's just me-I'd rather see Buick take up some of this slack so Cadillac didn't have to, but someday it may be inevitable.

BLS? WE don;t need no stinkin' BLS. You keep your FWD BuLi$h! cars in the past and look ahead ot a bright new future of an eclectic RWD CTS lineup.

Screw the BLS, just give us a CTS coupe, ragtop and wagon.

I would normally agree with this but if SIGMA can't give us a coupe and convertible than bring the BLS here now. An Epsiloncoupe/convertible Caddy is better than none at all.

I say don't bring it but if they did it really makes sense. Lexus sales so many cars because they have the FWD ES...that is why they are sales leader! Also as said before Audi has FWD, and well as Acura. Really it would not be a bad choice to start out selling at 27K to 35 Full loaded. Then the CTS could start at 32K up and not have to offer any incentives to move when GM needs cash. I would buy it because to be honest it looks better than my CTS.

Oh and it is a Saab rebadge not a Chevy!

I agree with those that say 'don't bring it'. It's not where Cadillac needs to go, esp. according to all those that clamor 'too much overlap at GM!!!'! And the 'saab rebadge' comments are NOT going to do Cadillac any favors in the least.

The ES is fine as a volume booster to lexus, who seems to need it to avoid being known primarily as a truck-based brand. But as moltar mentioned, it is not a 'serious' entry. Cadillac should continue being as focused as possible- the BLS is a distraction and a dilution of formula.

I agree with those that say 'don't bring it'. It's not where Cadillac needs to go, esp. according to all those that clamor 'too much overlap at GM!!!'! And the 'saab rebadge' comments are NOT going to do Cadillac any favors in the least.

The ES is fine as a volume booster to lexus, who seems to need it to avoid being known primarily as a truck-based brand. But as moltar mentioned, it is not a 'serious' entry. Cadillac should continue being as focused as possible- the BLS is a distraction and a dilution of formula.

But it doesn't LOOK like a SAAB, and SAAB has so little market presence the comparison prolly won't be noticed. A BLS would not overlap anything as GM has no luxury entry in that size class.

For me, it all depends on the next-gen CTS. If it gets somewhat smaller to actually compete with the 3-Series, C-Class and IS then Cadillac has no reason to bring the BLS over. However, if the CTS is still going to keep its in between 3 & 5 Series size, bring the BLS over.

But it doesn't LOOK like a SAAB, and SAAB has so little market presence the comparison prolly won't be noticed.

Looks don't matter in this instance: 'saab-sourcing' ABSOLUTELY will be noticed by the media, and it's reporting would be a distinct detriment. No swedish-engineered Cadillacs- there's no advantage to it whatsoever.

But it doesn't LOOK like a SAAB, and SAAB has so little market presence the comparison prolly won't be noticed.

Looks don't matter in this instance: 'saab-sourcing' ABSOLUTELY will be noticed by the media, and it's reporting would be a distinct detriment. No swedish-engineered Cadillacs- there's no advantage to it whatsoever.

I don't see 'Saab-sourcing' as a detriment..it's all GM however you look at it.

As far as the media, they don't seem to make a big deal out of the Lexus ES being based on a Toyota... or the Infiniti G35 sharing a platform and engine with the Nissan Z...etc etc etc.

Because a lexus IS a toyota and an infiniti IS a nissan; they were created largely from their respective parent's parts bins and 'separated' via marketing.

Cadillac & saab have remained autonomous in product from each other for the entire history of the automobile industry. Cadillac is a storied marque with history- saab is a failing 2nd tier 'weird' car with long-running financial & sales problems.

The Catera at least had the once-potent 'German engineered' tagline on it's side.

'Scandinavian-engineered' doesn't roll quite so readily off the tongue. In fact, the taste is horrendous.

If the BLS is an excellent vehicle on its own, it won't matter. By the way, as far as being "SAAB-sourced," you are dead wrong. The BLS is on Epsilon. It is no more SAAB-sourced than the Malibu, G6 or Aura. Just because it is built in the same Epsilon plant as the 9-3 does NOT make it SAAB-sourced. These cars were globally-designed by GM.

Personally? I think you have some irrational hangup regarding SAAB. Why the passion against them?

I am merely referring to what was posted here:

"...this is just a big compact as its based on the Saab 9-3"

"...Oh and it is a Saab rebadge not a Chevy!"

You also failed to correct the above when you posted:

"...But it doesn't LOOK like a SAAB, and SAAB has so little market presence the comparison prolly won't be noticed."

The factor of concern here is that it's will very likely will be lambasted for being 'badge-engineered' (whether saab or Epsilon-derived) which would help Cadillac out HOW?? Media called the late '90s W-Bodies 'badge-engineered' exclusively when they shared nothing anyone could see on the exterior or interior beyond the windshield. Why (other than stupidity?)? Why did we not read "badge-engineered" in every article on either the camry or the es300 when those were so obvious?

The media.

Right now Cadillac has an exclusive in the Sigma platform & the Northstar (tho the latter's exclusivity is unfortunately eroding as we speak). The CTS and STS are unique and that's as it should be and traditionally has been. But SH!T- we all read a mention or two of the Cimarrron in reviews of the CTS!!!! -separated by TWENTY years and 100% of it's parts! How is it you cannot see what would happen to a BLS concurrently platformed with a Chevy & a saab??

I think you have some irrational hangup regarding SAAB. Why the passion against them?

You're kidding, right??

You're kidding, right??

Why would anyone kid?

Saab has the potential to be one of GM's strongest brands. Unfortunately, GM doesn't seem to realize that Saab won't prosper with rebadged Subarus and Trailblazers composing it's lineup. The fact is, Saab is losing it's exclusivity within GM and is quickly evolving into yet another form of GM's heirarchy of monotonous brands. Those who take part in the blind animosity toward anything Saab on these boards are ignorant to the fact that GM hasn't done anything conducive to Saab's image. If Saab's "turnaround" were composed of more than shoddy rebadges, the story would be different. But that's not the case. It's unclear how some of you expect Saab to prosper with the tasteless crap GM is shoveling at consumers. What was once a tightly focused marque with a loyal following is quickly on it's way toward becoming yet another Buick, Pontiac, or Saturn within GM. Oh well.

I still think that the BLS's potential for sales is worth more than any "damage" it may have on Cadillac's US image. If anything, it'll help brand Cadillac as more youthful and design-oriented. Now if Cadillac went ahead and brand-engineered a Malibu, I'd be complaining, but the 9-3 is an excellent car to begin with.

But, anyway, I thought a reasonably-priced, Swedish-built BLS wouldn't be profitable anyway?

I am merely referring to what was posted here:

"...this is just a big compact as its based on the Saab 9-3"

"...Oh and it is a Saab rebadge not a Chevy!"

You also failed to correct the above when you posted:

"...But it doesn't LOOK like a SAAB, and SAAB has so little market presence the comparison prolly won't be noticed."

The factor of concern here is that it's will very likely will be lambasted for being 'badge-engineered' (whether saab or Epsilon-derived) which would help Cadillac out HOW?? Media called the late '90s W-Bodies 'badge-engineered' exclusively when they shared nothing anyone could see on the exterior or interior beyond the windshield. Why (other than stupidity?)? Why did we not read "badge-engineered" in every article on either the camry or the es300 when those were so obvious?

The media.

Right now Cadillac has an exclusive in the Sigma platform & the Northstar (tho the latter's exclusivity is unfortunately eroding as we speak). The CTS and STS are unique and that's as it should be and traditionally has been. But SH!T- we all read a mention or two of the Cimarrron in reviews of the CTS!!!! -separated by TWENTY years and 100% of it's parts! How is it you cannot see what would happen to a BLS concurrently platformed with a Chevy & a saab??

You're kidding, right??

Uhhh...well the Lucerne is BASED ON the DTS. I don't see how using those terms is contradictory. BLS is BASED ON the SAAB 9-3 because it shares the same platform and uses the same plant. It has more in common with the 9-3 than the Malibu (thank GOD), but they are all Epsilon-derived.

The comparison to which I was referring was that of overall shapes. Honestly? You are FAR MORE LIKELY to see a review that says: "Cadillac's BLS is based on GM's global Epsilon platform, which also underpins the Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6."

want to know what the press will say about the BLS, then read this: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=9993

fo BV, it basically says that the 9-3 finshed last in comparo where the finishing order was

BMW 3

IS350

G35

TL

A4

CTS

Volvo S60R

SAAB 9-3(with 2.8 turbo)

and it didn't have much positive to say about the 9-3.

so, are you sure you really want a BLS over here.

I still think that the BLS's potential for sales is worth more than any "damage" it may have on Cadillac's US image.

You may be right: a BLS may indeed sell very well. And I'm sure mercedes' bean counters said the same thing when their compact hatchback was green-lighted for production... a vehicle that seems to be panned by most accounts for it's mere existance. I know I was shocked by the lil' cheapie when I walked up on one in a parking lot a few years ago. I disremember; is this the "c-class" or "A-class"?

Cadillac has stated they do not wish to lower themselves into the arena of 'affordable compacts' (or some such sentiment), and that the CTS would be as 'low' as the division would go in terms of segments.

Cadillac is healthily profitable as is; a similar grab for sheer sales volume is not and should not be what CMCD should focus on. Leave the mantra of 'In a perfect world, there would be a mercedes in every driveway' to DCX. Part of being a premiere marque is at least some degree of exclusivity, no?

The look has too much Catera and not enough CTS.  Don't bring it here.

The Catera was at least RWD and hd original stying compared to the rest of the Caddy lineup.

• 3 weeks later...

BLS should be left in Europe. No more front-drive for Cadillac. I would purhcase one if I had the funds, but I buy for appearance, quality, and brand, not which wheels are driven.

Sigh, I'm just not much of an enthusiast.