Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

7 Million Ford Rangers can't be wrong?

18 posts in this topic

Filed under: Truck, Plants/Manufacturing, Ford

2010-ranger.jpg
2010 Ford Ranger - Click above for high-res image gallery

It may have taken 28 years to get here, but the Ford Ranger is living inanimate proof that determination eventually pays off. Or something like that. Automotive News reports (via PickupTrucks.com) that Ford built its 7 millionth Ranger last month at the assembly plant in St. Paul, Minnesota.

The Ranger has gone through a number of revisions, trim levels and price increases (thanks a lot, inflation!) on its way from being a $6,289 single-cab, 73-horsepower work truck to today's $17,820 143-hp pickup. As an interesting side point, the original Ranger weighed in at 2,532 pounds and could tow 3,300 pounds. Today, the 3,030-pound Ranger can tug a total of 5,860 pounds. Progress!

All good things must come to an end, though, as Ford has announced that it will cease production of the North American Ranger in 2011. The jury's still out on the current truck's replacement, though rumors swirl that a smaller version of the next F-150 called, imaginatively enough, the F-100 may be in the offing. What are the chances that truck will have a 30-year lifespan and 7,000,000-plus sales?

Gallery: 2010 Ford Ranger

2010-ford-ranger-000_thumbnail.jpg2010-ford-ranger-001_thumbnail.jpg2010-ford-ranger-002_thumbnail.jpg2010-ford-ranger-003_thumbnail.jpg2010-ford-ranger-004_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Automotive News, PickupTrucks.com]

7 Million Ford Rangers can't be wrong? originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=5eBE1-qR2a0:chrFBGD4CiI:wF9xT autoblog?i=5eBE1-qR2a0:chrFBGD4CiI:V_sGL
5eBE1-qR2a0

View the full article

I think Ranger would be better. They are a serious die hard bunch..

Yeah, I could see keeping the Ranger name. Either name would be fine IMO.

They could keep selling this truck indefinitely with minor investments in refreshing the interior and exterior.

Ford needs a new Ranger. I would upsize it closer to Dakota size. You could call it, "F-100 Ranger".

Look at the shoulder support on those seats, when did the Ranger get such nice seats?

Edited by regfootball

How about they just keep the size and name, but give it a few modern amenities.

+1

The other "small" trucks have gotten too big. Ford should do a modern version of the truck and continue to call it Ranger. Why would you give up that kind of brand equity?

+1

The other "small" trucks have gotten too big. Ford should do a modern version of the truck and continue to call it Ranger. Why would you give up that kind of brand equity?

Same reason always given - because the current model has developed a bad rap. I'm not saying that's a good reason, or a valid reason in this case. I don't think it's developed a particularly bad rap, so continuing the Ranger name should be just fine, and people would instantly know it's a compact pickup by the name.

I dont really think the current model has a bad reputation because it registers with so few people, Ford doesn't advertise it and I'd be willing to bet the people who buy the 2010 are replacing their 98's (or what have you) and dont mind that the Ranger doesn't have a crew cab, or all the fanciness trucks like the Tacoma and Frontier offer.

How about they just keep the size and name, but give it a few modern amenities.

you mean like cabin space, good driving dynamics, up to date interior and styling, and otherwise in general bring it out of the mezozoic?

The Ranger is within a couple of inches of the Dakota in front passenger space, I really dont think adding 15 inches to the truck to make it Dakota-sized is going to do much. Adding more modern engines, SYNC and Work Solutions would make the truck more appealing to people who need an open bed, but dont want something gigantic* as well as businesses who want to save a few bucks.

*The 2010 Dakota extended cab is 7 inches longer and the same height as the '93 Ram, the only dimension in which the old Ram was larger was width.

the ranger might seem like it has adequate cabin space on paper, but its truly hellish in terms of comfortable space inside, and a windshield jammed in your face. in that regard, its mesozoic roots give it away.

the truck has to be large enough so people agree with the high MSRP the product would need to have. otherwise, it would fall under small car syndrome, i.e. small vehicle = small price = no profit. also if its too small people wont think it can do any work. it has to be perceived as large and tough enough to not be thought of as a toy or mock truck.

which is what the current ranger feels like with its 80's style packaging.

Edited by regfootball

Reg not everyone is like you and needs a Excursion to feel like they have enough space. You must be like 8 feet tall to feel cramped in all these vehicle smaller than a Avalon. I'm 6'1" and fit no problems in small cars and trucks. I mean if you referring to rear room (or lack thereof) then yeah, a crew cab would be a nice addition. Not everyone has a phobia of smaller vehicles. There are plenty of bigger trucks out there. the Ranger is the only true compact truck left in the US market (maybe the Coronado/Canyon, but they seem bigger)...that's something Ford could take advantage of if they brought the interior, powertrains, and suspension tuning up to par, adding a crew cab option so the back seats are usable...maybe some new sheet metal.

blow out your ear. the ranger simply needs a new packaging solution. it doesn't need to get huge, it just needs to get more relevant.

A thoroughly modern (BOF, RWD/4WD, cab and bed separate) small pickup truck from Ford, a company a lot of folks equate with truck leadership, would reignite the compact truck market. It is needed.

Congratulations to them on the 7 millionth Ranger.

Edited by ocnblu

blow out your ear. the ranger simply needs a new packaging solution. it doesn't need to get huge, it just needs to get more relevant.

You do realize that Ford sold 5 times as many "irrelevant" Ranger as Dodge sold "perfect sized" Dakotas in 2009, right? In 2008 Ranger sales were more than double Dakota sales. Who's relevant?

A few cosmetic upgrades and some new mechanical pieces would be fine, but this asinine theory that every car needs to fit fit 5 American fatasses shouldn't apply to the Ranger, its fine where it is.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room