Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Officially Official: 2011 Audi A1 finally arrives

16 posts in this topic

Filed under: Geneva Motor Show, Europe, Hatchback, Audi, Diesel

01-2011-audi-a1-630op.jpg
2011 Audi A1 - Click above for high-res image gallery

After two concepts and an insufferable amount of teasing, the 2011 Audi A1 has officially arrived with its sights set squarely on the Mini Cooper.

Inspired by the Metroproject Quattro from 2007, the all-new A1 is a faithful recreation of its conceptual predecessor, complete with a squat stance, short overhangs and four customizable colors for the roof arches. With a profile reminiscent of a stretched and squashed TT, the A1 spans 155.5 inches long, 68.5 inches wide and 56 inches tall, with a 97.2-inch wheelbase. Ten exterior colors are available, along with front and rear LEDs and Xenon headlamps.

Audi's focus on the interior begins and ends with customization, with available LED lighting, black, grey, beige or "wasabi" green contrasting materials, colored air vents and an optional MMI system with a 6.5-inch screen, 10-speaker, 465-watt Bose audio system, 20 gig harddrive and Bluetooth connectivity. Although backseat passengers were apparently an afterthought, the A1 boasts 9.43 cubic feet of storage space in the rear, with 32.49 cubic feet of space available when the rear seats are folded flat.

Motivation will be provided by a choice of either two gasoline or diesel powerplants, with the 1.6-liter TDIs churning out either 90 horsepower and 169 pound feet of torque or 105 ponies and 184 lb-ft of twist. The gasoline mills will be available in either 1.2- or 1.4-liter TFSI variants, with the former putting out 86 hp and 118 lb-ft of torque and the latter delivering 122 hp and 147 lb-ft through either a five- or six-speed manual. An optional seven-speed S tronic (dual clutch) transmission is available, and both gasoline engines deliver an average of 46 mpg. For the time being, the A1 is only available with front-wheel drive.

The 2,303-pound hatch will go on sale in Europe later this year after it's official unveiling at the Geneva Motor Show, with prices starting at around 16,000 euro. Two trims - Attraction or Ambition - are available, with an S Line accessories package and 18-inch wheels coming at launch. All the details can be had in the press release after the jump, but still no word yet on U.S. availability.

Gallery: 2011 Audi A1

01-2011-audi-a1_thumbnail.jpg02-2011-audi-a1_thumbnail.jpg03-2011-audi-a1_thumbnail.jpg04-2011-audi-a1_thumbnail.jpg05-2011-audi-a1_thumbnail.jpg

Continue reading Officially Official: 2011 Audi A1 finally arrives

Officially Official: 2011 Audi A1 finally arrives originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:36:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=2rPj6hBeDag:QtkkbGPb2Ik:wF9xT autoblog?i=2rPj6hBeDag:QtkkbGPb2Ik:V_sGL
2rPj6hBeDag

View the full article

Maybe GM can spin a Cadillac 1TS off the Spark to compete with this.. (since it's A-segment, it should be 'ATS', but it looks like that name is going to their C-seg model). (J/K)

It would be nice to see this in NA to compete w/ the Mini and Fiat 500 in the micropremium seg.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

luxury cars are not supposed to be front drive (cough)

i am tired of the cute small cars thing. At least its not a childish cartoon like the mini.

The interior surprisingly is very well done, and again not a charicature, like the mini.

there should be one engine here that should have at least 160hp. again, luxury, where is the power with my high msrp?

i guess this is probably done about as well as any 'luxury' sh-tbox can be done. I am sure at 2300 pounds this thing won't feel vaultlike. I wonder how Britney will survive being t-boned by Buffy and her toddlers in the Escalade out where the well to do fairskinned and entitled folks live, the first day after dad gives her a new A1 for passing her drivers license test.

At this rate, BMW and Audi and the like will be setting up stores in the mall next to Abercrombie and Aeriopostale or whatever as this is how they are whoring out their brands........

The Fiat I like because its at least honest and true to its brand. I guess Audi does this small stuff in Europe. Just not here. I think this car could be very damaging to a brand that has just stated they want to sell more large sedans and depend less on the A4 to carry the brand. This goes exactly against that. "let's sell more A6's and A8's by trying to sell our new trial size A1!"

Edited by regfootball

Mature, premium, serious. Very nice. I want to see more photos of different colors, etc.

If I were in the market for a premium brand small hatch, I'd probably get the Alfa MiTo over this... which looks like every other Audi now. At least they tried with the aluminum roof pillars.

Very, very interesting...

So now we have the MINI, the MiTo and the A1 as the truly premium small car alternatives. I don't count the 500 because although it is probably cutest of all the small cars, it is a Fiat, so not exactly a premium offering...

Very, very interesting...

So now we have the MINI, the MiTo and the A1 as the truly premium small car alternatives. I don't count the 500 because although it is probably cutest of all the small cars, it is a Fiat, so not exactly a premium offering...

True, Fiat is not a premium brand, but the 500 is very stylized and distinct, not just another cheap turd. Compared to most of the really small cars sold in the US currently, it seems premium.

A luxurified Buick Corsa should do fine in this pack. No Caddy please.

A luxurified Buick Corsa should do fine in this pack. No Caddy please.

That just doesn't sound right. It's like MINI making a full-sized SUV. Buick's heritage is all about large, curvaceous vehicles... not agile and fun-to-drive city cars.

Then, on the other hand, there's room for such a vehicle in GM's product portfolio. Should the Buick nameplate merely signify the "premium" brand within the GM hierarchy (sandwiched between "economy" Chevrolet and "luxury" Cadillac), or should it also reflect history and tradition?

That just doesn't sound right. It's like MINI making a full-sized SUV. Buick's heritage is all about large, curvaceous vehicles... not agile and fun-to-drive city cars.

Then, on the other hand, there's room for such a vehicle in GM's product portfolio. Should the Buick nameplate merely signify the "premium" brand within the GM hierarchy (sandwiched between "economy" Chevrolet and "luxury" Cadillac), or should it also reflect history and tradition?

Given the place Buick is at this point, it is a very fluid brand. While heritage exists, it is no where as strong as Oldsmobile or Pontiac. So it does not hurt to try a radical path while being traditional. By fixing Caddy as luxury and Chevy as economy, GM is opening an uncharted territory for Buick. Given that most of the Buick lineup will be dependent on some vehicles or other, it does not hurt to get Buick float onto the uncharted waters.

Problem is with Pontiac and Saturn gone, Buick has to be the filler brand and cover this..

Ugly. Citroen Pluriel with an Audi badge.

Pretty much what I was thinking....

Well, Buick did sell the Kadett for several yerrs. Maybe not the happiest memory to stick in here, but hey.

Like the front end, especially the headlights. Like the tail lights a lot too. But it looks too short and tall.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0