Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevy Caprice PPV: Damn It, We Still Want One

15 posts in this topic

Chevy Caprice PPV: Damn It, We Still Want One

The Carpocalypse may have killed the Pontiac G8 ST, but lucky cops will be able to spend their anti-terror budgets on the Chevy Caprice Police Car, which rides on the same chassis.

That's right, this isn't a regular ol' re-skinned Pontiac G8 sedan, but rather the longest version of the Zeta platform that also underpins the Middle Eastern Chevy Caprice and the Holden VE Ute. That 118.5" wheelbase puts it smack in the middle of the 114.7" Crown Vic and 120.0" Dodge Charger.

The Caprice PPV is powered by a 6.0-liter LS2 V8 engine rated at an estimated 355 HP and 384 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed auto transmission. Power output compares favorably to the 340 HP HEMI in the Dodge Charger police edition and absolutely blows away the Ford Crown Vic's 250 HP 4.6-liter V8.

We're told that bigger engine will deliver an expected best-in-class 0-to-60 time of under six seconds along with a similarly best-in-class top speed. But, for those forces uninterested in the super-sized 6.0-liter eight-cylinder engine, we're also told a V6 engine will be offered beginning in the 2012 model year.

The Caprice with both engine sizes will recieve the same police car-specific vehicle systems like high-output alternator and standard 18-inch steelies with bolt-on center caps and will ride on a heavy-duty four-wheel independent suspension and a "police-calibrated stability control system," presumably to compensate for all the donuts onboard.

The front seats have been sculpted to "pocket" an officer's equipment belt, with the foam density of the seatback and cushion insert surfaces designed to conform to the shape of an equipment belt's various items, allowing the officer's back to rest properly on the seatback surface. The barrier between the front seat and rear seat is also positioned farther rearward than the Charger or the Crown Vic, allowing for full front-seat travel and greater recline while officers take a highway-side siesta.

The new Caprice will also have significantly larger interior volume - 112 cubic feet - than the Ford Crown Victoria, including - thanks to the longer wheelbase - nearly 4 inches more rear legroom to help give handcuffed suspects a much more comfortable experience. The Caprice PPV's long wheelbase also gives it 18 cubic feet of free trunk volume. That's enough room for a full-size spare located under a flat load surface in the trunk storage area and any number of shotguns, RPGs and dead golfers or anything else an officer may need to punish and enslave.

link:

http://jalopnik.com/5468619/chevy-caprice-ppv-damn-it-we-still-want-one

It is a cop car with a cop engine and cop brakes. All we need is cop hair now!

+1. I have the Vic Mackey (the Shield) haircut going on...I'm ready for a CVPI or Caprice PPV :) Does the PPV have a donut warmer?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

It is a cop car with a cop engine and cop brakes. All we need is cop hair now!

You are doing it wrong!

[Jake and Elwood are arguing about the new Bluesmobile]

Jake: What is this?

Elwood: What?

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac?

[Jake tries to use the car's lighter, but it does not work; he throws it out the window]

Jake: The Caddy, where's the Caddy?

Elwood The what?

Jake: The Cadillac we used to have! The Bluesmobile!

Elwood I traded it.

Jake: You traded the Bluesmobile for this?!

Elwood: No ... for a microphone.

Jake: A microphone? [pause] Okay, I can see that. But what the hell is this?

Elwood: This was a bargain. I picked it up at the Mount Prospect City police auction last spring. It's an old Mount Prospect police car. They were practically giving them away.

Jake: Well thank you, pal. The day I get out of prison, my own brother comes to pick me up in a police car.

[They stop in front of an opening drawbridge]

Elwood You don't like it?

Jake: [pause] No, I don't like it.

[Elwood jumps the car over the bridge]

Jake: [impressed] Car's got a lot of pickup.

Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say? Is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

[Jake light his cigarette using his lighter]

Jake: Fix the cigarette lighter.

You are doing it wrong!

[Jake and Elwood are arguing about the new Bluesmobile]

Jake: What is this?

Elwood: What?

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac?

[Jake tries to use the car's lighter, but it does not work; he throws it out the window]

Jake: The Caddy, where's the Caddy?

Elwood The what?

Jake: The Cadillac we used to have! The Bluesmobile!

Elwood I traded it.

Jake: You traded the Bluesmobile for this?!

Elwood: No ... for a microphone.

Jake: A microphone? [pause] Okay, I can see that. But what the hell is this?

Elwood: This was a bargain. I picked it up at the Mount Prospect City police auction last spring. It's an old Mount Prospect police car. They were practically giving them away.

Jake: Well thank you, pal. The day I get out of prison, my own brother comes to pick me up in a police car.

[They stop in front of an opening drawbridge]

Elwood You don't like it?

Jake: [pause] No, I don't like it.

[Elwood jumps the car over the bridge]

Jake: [impressed] Car's got a lot of pickup.

Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say? Is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

[Jake light his cigarette using his lighter]

Jake: Fix the cigarette lighter.

Sorry it has been a long time since I played the DVD.

...Ah yes I forgot I get to see one in three short days... No my plans haven't changed, I still want one, and hopefully someone in my family will get one...

Hyper, it's cool. I got your refrence at least.

Now if you want a quote I can give a line by line of Smokey and the Bandit in the original and edited versions. Bandit and the Blues Brothers are two I hope they never remake.

Anyone heard if the LWB car will also be available to the public or just the Short G8 based car as the SS?

Edited by hyperv6

Now if you want a quote I can give a line by line of Smokey and the Bandit in the original and edited versions. Bandit and the Blues Brothers are two I hope they never remake.

Anyone heard if the LWB car will also be available to the public or just the Short G8 based car as the SS?

I hope the LWB comes too, but I am betting it will be a SWB SS only. If you want a LWB PPV, you can get one but your going to have to jump through the hoops. Anyways I would love to see both! I really don't care as long as a I can snag a PPV, and I can... If I play my cards right.

Edited by gm4life

My dad retired from the force the same year they stopped making the Caprice this car would make him want back in :P

Seriously though, on occasion he brought a marked car home when they got a new model and I got to check it out and back then even the national police force got by without computers of any kind in the car. Based on my memory of one particular 1995 Crown Vic, all of the cars functions were still run on a switchboard that looked like it'd been lifted from a 707.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I hope the LWB comes too, but I am betting it will be a SWB SS only. If you want a LWB PPV, you can get one but your going to have to jump through the hoops. Anyways I would love to see both! I really don't care as long as a I can snag a PPV, and I can... If I play my cards right.

I kind of expect that too. With the new Impala coming I only see a push on the SWB SS for the public.

Good stuff, will be fun a few year later when these retire from police duty and the common man can get his hands one one. Although I think gm4life got a lead on getting one new.

Although I think gm4life got a lead on getting one new.

Exactly... I certainly hope so. If you want one, you can get one. :smilewide: It won't be new per-say but it will have literally zero miles on it, and will be "new" to me at least. You all certainly recall this... Caprice PPV

Edited by gm4life

Chicago 2010: Chevrolet rolls out Caprice Police Car

Late last year, General Motors announced that it would build a Zeta-based Police Car for North American duty. Though there was already a perfectly good Pontiac G8 available before GM decided to shutter the brand, this Zeta would be based on the longer version of that platform as used by the Holden Statesman and be known as the 2011 Chevrolet Caprice police patrol vehicle.

Well, what do you know. Chevy brought just such a vehicle to the Chicago Auto Show, and we managed to snap off a series of photos to share. According to the personnel manning the booth, the Caprice PPV is still in concept form, complete with a refurbished Toughbook panel from Panasonic attached to the center console.

Being a long-wheelbase Zeta, the Caprice PPV has plenty of room for a divided cockpit with what appears to be a plexiglass barrier protecting the driver and front passenger from whatever or whomever happens to be confined to the rear. Other interesting tidbits include a number of storage locations, including one for weapons between the two front seats.

We're sure the cops will appreciate the E85-compatible 6.0-liter V8 and the 355 horsepower and 385 pound-feet of torque it puts out. Now if only GM could find a way to put just such a Caprice (or, would that be a proper Impala SS?) in every single Chevrolet dealership around the country, they may really be on to something.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/12/chicago-2010-chevrolet-rolls-out-caprice-police-car/

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0