5.4-liter 3-valve Triton™ V-8

• 300 hp @ 5,000 rpm, 365 lbs.-ft. @ 3,750 rpm

• Standard 6-speed automatic transmission 

CHASSIS

Wheelbase: 119.0 in. (EL 131.0 in.)

Height: 77.2 in. (EL 77.7 in.)

Length: 206.5 in. (EL 221.3 in.)

Max width: 78.8 in.

Brakes: Four-wheel power disc brakes with (ABS) and AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control)

SUSPENSION

Front: Double wishbone short- and long-arms (SLA) architecture with coil-over, gas filled shocks

Rear: Multi-link independent

WHEELS AND TIRES

XLT:  P265/70R17 A/S BSW tires/17 in. painted aluminum wheels

P265/70R17 A/T OWL tires/17 in. machined aluminum wheels

Eddie Bauer:  P265/70R17 A/S OWL tires/17 in. aluminum wheels

P255/70R18 A/S OWL tires/18 in. machined aluminum wheels

Limited: P255/70R18 A/S OWL tires/18 in. machined aluminum wheels

Optional 20 in. chrome clad aluminum wheels

CAPACITIES

Seating Capacity: 5-9

Curb weight (2WD):  5,578 lbs. (EL 5,928 lbs.)

Cargo volume behind front row: 108.2 cu. ft. (EL 130.8 cu. ft.)

Cargo volume behind second row:  54.9 cu. ft. (EL 85.5 cu. ft.)

Maximum payload:  1,800 lbs. (EL 1,700 lbs.)

Maximum towing capacity: 9,100 lbs.

AVAILABILITY

On sale:  Fall 2006

Price: Will be announced closer to launch

These specifications are preliminary and subject to change.

Ford's Full Press Release

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Imaj

CSpec    515

The exterior is just the old one with a new face (much like the new Explorer). The interior is OK, but the T900s are better.

turbo200    6

Pretty nice update overall. Should be a viable competitor to the Tahoe, but still second best. EL is the extended length version, but it won't be as successful as the Suburban thanks to that truck's heritage and recognition and better powertrains. The new face is much much better, but the eyes are dopy, and definitely don't look the tough truck part like the Tahoe does. Overall Tahoe will win, and capture mostly all the bling bling crowd thanks to its bolder design overall.

Edited by turbo200

mjdecker    0

if the headlights were more like the Edge, and less like they Explorer headlights with the shape of the edge's.. I'd like it more

As it stands now it's pretty borring IMO.

griff7774    0

Posted Image

When in rome.... use the GM formula . Finally a viable competior. I still think gmt-900 are better

the EL will probally do better than the excursion

Edited by griff7774

BlkHhr104    0

What really ruins the Expedition IMHO is that the engine doesn't come with Cylinder Deactivation.

Your right, thats one spot where GM has them beat, but also look at the first picture really fast doesnt it look like 07 Tahoe.

SobeSVT    0

Your right, thats one spot where GM has them beat, but also look at the first picture really fast doesnt it look like 07 Tahoe.

Not really.

Imaj    0

it does look similar, the headlights and the grille..... scary

Croc    268

Posted Image

So what was I hearing in the other thread about Ford never changing the steering wheels between test mules and production models? :AH-HA_wink:

Northstar    11

I think the front is rather ugly, and the rest is the same as the current one. Interior looks good, though I'd take the Tahoe's unless I wanted a console shifter. The EL looks really ungainly, unlike the 900s where the longer ones tend to look better.

Oh, and GM, it offers a 6-speed auto STANDARD.

Variance    0

The squared-off macho look continues at Ford. I must say I like the look of everything except the protuding 3-D grille and the blocky steering wheel.

caddycruiser    50

I think the front is rather ugly, and the rest is the same as the current one. Interior looks good, though I'd take the Tahoe's unless I wanted a console shifter. The EL looks really ungainly, unlike the 900s where the longer ones tend to look better.

Oh, and GM, it offers a 6-speed auto STANDARD.

How, exactly, does it look ungainly? Compare...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Actually, in profile, they both look eerily similar, the Ford just having a greater level of detailing to the body. The Ford's wheels look a bit too small on the long model, but so do the little 16's on our Suburban...

I think if I were buying in the near future, I'd trade the '04 Burban for a new Expedition EL. Don't get me wrong, I really like most of the interior on the GM's, not to mention the general ride/handling that I'm familiar with, but the power fold-flat 3rd row that's been improved further, the added room, the console shifter, 6-speed auto, etc., etc...I'd go Ford. Like the GM's, but REALLY like the Fords...they're just a bit more of a complete package, in my view.

I have a feeling, when there's a professional comparison or two, the Ford and Chevy will be neck and neck, the Ford no longer towards the end due to a stiff ride and some cheap interior bits, and the Chevy no longer losing pace with its sloppy controls and REALLY bad interior.

As for the DOD, I still want to see more of a "real world" long term use of it to see how it ends up, so another edge for the 6-spd'd from day ONE Ford.

Edited by caddycruiser

Flybrian    0

The ungainliness of the Ford is exacerbated by that overchromed grille. The rest is very nice.

Either way, better than anything from overseas.

Bimmer325    18

Hardly worth getting excited over. All-new? C'mon.

The extended version looks like the afterthought that it is. The 900's were designed with the extended versions in mind. This thing clearly wasn't. That's what Northstar meant by ungainly, and he's right.

The body-colored grille, chrome accents, and smoked headlamps look good in the first one pictured above. Still, it's really no more than a facelift from a styling standpoint. I expected more.

pow    106

Hm, also, 300 horsepower doesn't seem like a lot saddled to 3 tons. All of its competitors, aside from the Sequoia (which is soon to be redesigned), outpower it.

bobo    91

The front is overstyled, but Ford fans should be happy with the overall end result. I prefer the cleaner styling of the current Expedition (and the prior Explorer).

sciguy_0504    0

I like the front end but everything else looks aged, especially the interior compared to the GMT900s. The interior is just average to me. The taillights look too small in comparison to such a large vehicle. GM really brought its game regarding large SUVs and it paid off. How it should be with every car.

Guest YellowJacket894   
Guest YellowJacket894

The GMT-900s have this beat hands-down, but for what it is, it's okay.

A good redesign but it will be ranked second-best.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this