Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Rumormill: Next-gen Saab 9-3 to see return of five-door bodystyle?

5 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: Performance, Europe, Hatchback, Saab, Spyker, Rumormill, Luxury

630saab93.jpg
Saab 9-3 Sedan - Click above for high-res image gallery

Hopefully, and while Spyker's at it they'll bring back the 900 name. Don't count on that last bit, but according to a report by the Dutch site Auto Internationaal, Saab will be bringing back a five-door (as in hatchback) 9-3. To even the most casual Saab fan, this makes a ton of sense. In fact, Saab's decision (even though it was really General Motors' decision) to end production of the 9-3 hatch in favor of the 9-3 sedan is still both baffling and painful, all these many years later.

The thing is, Saab has always been, and will probably always remain a niche brand. The notion that by dropping the odd five-door (and three-door) body style in favor of a more conventional sedan body, stay a high-dollar front-dollar and poach sales away from BMW is as laughable now as it was back in 2002 when Saab/GM made the switch. Bringing back a five-door is most likely the brand's best shot at salvation.

Besides, five-door, luxury/performance niche vehicles seem to be all the rage. Look no further than the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo and upcoming Audi A5 Sportback. Let's not forget about the Caddy CTS Sportwagon, either. Not only that, you have a lot of people getting older and richer who spent their formative years in Subaru WRXs, Volkswagen GTIs and MazdaSpeed3s now looking for something a little more grown up and sophisticated. We really can't see any downside to hatch'd 9-3. Now if Saab would only bring back the longitudinal, backwards engine... though probably not, as the next 9-3 will likely be Opel Astra-based.

[source: Euro Car Blog via Auto Internationnal]

Rumormill: Next-gen Saab 9-3 to see return of five-door bodystyle? originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=0XN7fpJV43g:ooBCQtx2mJI:wF9xT autoblog?i=0XN7fpJV43g:ooBCQtx2mJI:V_sGL
0XN7fpJV43g

View the full article

CSpec    515

Good news, though I never thought the current 9-3 was in any way a bad car. Hopefully they make it like the previous Mazda6 with 5door, 4door, and wagon styles all available in the US!

ZL-1    160

I find this talk aboutt he NG 9-3 quite intriguing... The Business Plan mentions a "new all-SAAB 9-3" which is totally different from an "all-new SAAB 9-3". However, why spend a load of money on the current 9-3 platform, when former parent-company GM has Delta 2 right there ready to be used? Aside form the visible bits (body, interior) it appears the only major change needed would be the rear suspension, so that a Haldex system could be used...

Croc    262

Good news, though I never thought the current 9-3 was in any way a bad car. Hopefully they make it like the previous Mazda6 with 5door, 4door, and wagon styles all available in the US!

Eh, I like the current sedan. If they make it more of a hatch, fine, but I'm not stressed. They already sell the SportCombi...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online