Food(s) you DON'T like...

I love most food. I don't like the following:

Any meat you have to work (ribs) or that is too red, but love tri-tip, sirloin and London Broil, for example

Any fish you have to work (mussels, clams, crab), but love swordfish, halibut, and shark, for example

Hate pecan pie

Can't tolerate any spicy cuisines like Thai, Indian or Ethiopian - guaranteed to be "out of commission" in 2 hours, but like Cantonese Chinese and Japanese

What are specific food items or cuisines you won't eat?

Not a fan of Indian, still trying to warm up to Ethiopian, cannot stand Americanized Chinese, "American" and "New American" food doesn't do much for me, but I still eat it occasionally.

Japanese rocks--healthiest diet hands down. Authentic Chinese is pretty damn good, too. Love Thai, enjoy some Vietnamese, some Hawaiian (no spam, gross), LOVE LOVE LOVE Jewish food.

• Agree 1

Japanese rocks--healthiest diet hands down.

For some reason, when I think of healthy cuisine, I think of Middle Eastern or Greek food, minus some of the lamb dishes and desserts, because of all those healthy ingredients and seasonings so prevalent in their cuisines. Just well-seasoned, not necessarily spicy, so that works well.

Actually, Portuguese folks who live in coastal towns have eat extremely healthy food - platters of fresh fish such as the local catch or cod, potatoes or rice, local vegetables and hearty soups. Simple and delicious food.

For me, anything spicy or anything that takes work to eat it are out.

95% of all seafood. 100% of shellfish. I can't even stand the smell.

One notable exception to this, because it is one of my favorite dishes, is Swordfish. I love a great grilled swordfish steak. I have been known to do fish-n-chips from time to time if the batter is exceptionally good.

I'm of Russian decent, so I particularly desire pastry foods like perogies, pirahi, and then borscht, etc.; however, I never shy away from other ethnic foods. I'm not particularly a fan of Mexican the way I notice so many people practically cream themselves over a bean burrito or taco. To me, those are boring quick fixin' foods when we don't feel like cooking. Also, anything overly spicy just ruins the experience.

I really only have two 'food nevers':

- Beets

Not exactly sure why, but I'm not too fond of the odd-flavour sweetness. Which leads me to my next non-favourite...

- Pineapple topping on pizza

To me, virtually every ingredient on a pizza is anything but sweet. To add a sugary sweetness to things like tomato sauce and meats is just too much over-flavouring and too busy for the pallet.

Any other foods I can tolerate to a degree, but these two just can't pass my lips.

Edited by ShadowDog

Can't eat anything with eggplant. I get dry heaves at the sight of it.

Don't care for peaches or peach flavoring in anything.

Black beans or 'brown beans' (the muddy mess often served w/ rice in Mexican dishes). Can't stand the taste or the horrific reaction my stomach has to them. Though I like white beans and green beans.

Don't care for black olives or olives in any context other than martinis.

What I do like--a little bit of everything..most everything else. (though I won't try blood pudding or haggis, though I like Paul Haggis-penned movies usually).

I'm of Russian decent, so I particularly desire pastry foods like perogies, pirahi, and then borscht, etc.; however, I never shy away from other ethnic foods. I'm not particularly a fan of Mexican the way I notice so many people practically cream themselves over a bean burrito or taco. To me, those are boring quick fixin' foods when we don't feel like cooking. Also, anything overly spicy just ruins the experience.

I really only have two 'food nevers':

- Beets

Not exactly sure why, but I'm not too fond of the odd-flavour sweetness. Which leads me to my next non-favourite...

- Pineapple topping on pizza

To me, virtually every ingredient on a pizza is anything but sweet. To add a sugary sweetness to things like tomato sauce and meats is just too much over-flavouring and too busy for the pallet.

Any other foods I can tolerate to a degree, but these two just can't pass my lips.

You can't have had REAL Mexican food:

salbutes.jpg

Salbutes

hotel-casa-marques-cochinita-pibil.jpg

Cochinita Pibil

Mmmmmmmmmm

Can't eat anything with eggplant.

+1 (a la dave)

Eggplant. Disgusting. I hate it. One of the biggest disappointments is when you walk up to a serving line and find out that what you thought was a thin slice of chicken parmigiana is ACTUALLY eggplant parmigiana.

Most seafood. I generally only eat whitefish and crab. Would like to try a steak from a fish some day, as long as it's not salmon or tuna.

HATE okra, mushrooms, spinach, rutabaga, lima beans.

Also, I don't eat ANY condiments based on mayonnaise, which rules out most salad dressings. Or anything with anything remotely resembling mayonnaise as one of the ingredients.

You can't have had REAL Mexican food:

Mmmmmmmmmm

There's a new place nearby called Mazatlan serving some exciting dishes. I must admit that I haven't dined there yet, so I'll reserve judgment on the taste until I've heard from others how nicely they'll have prepared their dishes. Still, most of the hippies living among us have this peculiar desire for the simple Mexican dish that isn't much different than fine dining at McDonalds.

"Not really into meat, especially with bones."

I'm surprised to hear that from our bobo. :)

I like a lot of different ethnic foods. I just had sushi for lunch. There's one thing that bothers me about eating sushi, though. It makes me phlegmy and I start to cough. I wish I knew which component was causing my problem. Eating certain other foods I get the same way, and I wish I could figure out what was doing it.

I refuse to eat veal because of how the calves are kept a lot of the time (in cages so small they cannot even turn around).

Edited by ocnblu

I've never met a cuisine I've tried that I didn't like... as long as it's done well! A Taco Bell bean and cheese burrito is very different from good barbacoa de borrego. Fresh, sweet oysters are nice, whereas gross canned ones are... gross. There are certain elements of food that are universally tasty, IMO. It probably helps that during my childhood I was exposed to a lot of different Asian foods.

That said, I've never tried Ethiopian food. Completely raw chunks of meat and textureless bread don't seem all that appealing...

That said, I've never tried Ethiopian food. Completely raw chunks of meat and textureless bread don't seem all that appealing...

Oh I love the bread--it definitely has texture to it. It's weird...kinda like foam in texture, but the taste is similar to sourdough. Yeah the raw meat is the best...love the "kitfo" as they call it.

I tried a place that was "meh alright" on yelp, and I now want to go to the highest rated Ethiopian place in LA: Meals by Genet.

I just had a great dinner with some friends at Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo. Had the sashimi dinner w/ Tempura and a side of natto with a quail egg. The sashimi was pretty good. Would have liked a little more variety, but still good. Tempura was top notch. Natto? Meh, it wasn't very fermented to be honest. Too mild for me, and nowhere near as good as the natto at Suehiro Cafe, which has the best natto I've had in LA thus far.

Oh I love the bread--it definitely has texture to it. It's weird...kinda like foam in texture, but the taste is similar to sourdough. Yeah the raw meat is the best...love the "kitfo" as they call it.

I tried a place that was "meh alright" on yelp, and I now want to go to the highest rated Ethiopian place in LA: Meals by Genet.

I just had a great dinner with some friends at Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo. Had the sashimi dinner w/ Tempura and a side of natto with a quail egg. The sashimi was pretty good. Would have liked a little more variety, but still good. Tempura was top notch. Natto? Meh, it wasn't very fermented to be honest. Too mild for me, and nowhere near as good as the natto at Suehiro Cafe, which has the best natto I've had in LA thus far.

I've been to a few good Ethiopian places in the Denver area, been a couple that were 'meh'. I kind of like it, definitely different. Haven't tried any out here in the Phoenix area.

One cuisine I really haven't tried that I want to try soon is Phillipine--there are a couple Filipino restaurants out in Chandler near work. Haven't been for sushi or tempura in a while, going to have to try a couple of the sushi places near work.

Hate pecan pie

With you on that one.

Also: chocolate/chocolate flavored stuff

raw onions

breads/cookies with nuts in them...bleh

Can't forget Taco Bell either...haven't eaten it in years, and don't plan to ever again.

Otherwise, if it's edible I'll probably eat it

Edited by PONTIAC06

I've been to a few good Ethiopian places in the Denver area, been a couple that were 'meh'. I kind of like it, definitely different. Haven't tried any out here in the Phoenix area.

One cuisine I really haven't tried that I want to try soon is Phillipine--there are a couple Filipino restaurants out in Chandler near work. Haven't been for sushi or tempura in a while, going to have to try a couple of the sushi places near work.

I need to try Filipino Town fer sher...it's the one "Town" in LA I haven't hit up, and I know next to nothing about Filipino food.

You can't have had REAL Mexican food

I don't think most people realize that "Mexican food" and "Chinese food" are extremely Americanized in 95% of restaraunts. Then again, to me real mexican food involves mostly beans, rice, potatoes, and meat. It's the way my grandparents/parents raised all of us kids. There is alot of unique foods that people don't see though. I especially love Cuban and Brazilian food too.

Canned vegetables. Can't stand them, Fresh or frozen, preferably either steamed or grilled is how I like them.

Which brings me to boiled foods. Yuck, particularly meat. Vegetables are more tolerable, but like most food (IMO), it's better cooked on the grill.

Bleu Cheese

Miracle Whip

Asparagus

Brussel Sprouts

Anchovies

Bad BBQ sauce

Meat that isn't tender. If it's chewy I will literally gag.

:yuck:

I used to not like eating off the bone..for some reason it bothered me as a kid. Doesn't now. Which is good since I love baby back ribs.