Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Honda confirms fresh Ridgeline for 2011

15 posts in this topic

Honda confirms fresh Ridgeline for 2011

02/11/2010, 7:23 PMBY MARK KLEIS

The Chicago Auto Show paled in terms of reveals compared to many, but amongst the flashy displays and concept cars there were also some tidbits of information finding their way to the public for the first time. For instance, Vicki Poponi, Honda’s vice president of product planning revealed that Honda has plans to introduce a fully revised version of its unibody pickup for the 2011 model year.

The Honda Ridgeline represents Honda’s first foray into the truck segment, first unveiled at the 2004 Detroit Auto Show, and later launched as a 2006 model year. The Ridgeline was originally projected to sell 50,000 units annually, and early on it even surpassed that figure. In recent years however, the sales figures have declined dramatically with 33,875 sold in 2008, followed by a drop of 51.4 percent to 16,464 for 2009.

“The customers love the Ridgeline,” Poponi said. “It’s really a unique truck. It’s its own segment. But because it’s a niche vehicle, they’re really aren’t many people out looking for it. It’s also a bit older than we like.”

The Ridgeline received its last mid-cycle refresh for 2009, and after five years on the market without a major overhaul this unibody pickup is beginning to show its age.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-confirms-fresh-ridgeline-for-2011.html

"unibody pickup" isn't that a contradiction? :lol:

wonder if it'll actually get "good mileage" ... better than a v8 chevy/ford/toyota....

honda ever gonna go to more than a 5speed? or am i behind the times? (not counting acura)

A lot less capability, a lot less power, for the same fuel economy as an Avalanche = fail

Honda should apply their resources elsewhere.

Remember, it doesn't matter if the vehicle makes practical sense or appeals to enthusiasts... it only matters whether it can part morons from their money.

In a perfect world, the BMW X6, Acura ZDX, Honda Ridgeline and Subaru Baja would not exist. Also, lap dances would be free and the lawn would never need mowing, but that's a subject for a different thread. :)

I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.

:roflmao:

A lot less capability, a lot less power, for the same fuel economy as an Avalanche = fail

A bit of an embellishment. The Avalanche has improved a lot over the last few years, and is a better vehicle than the Ridgeline in many respects. Thanks to the Avalanche's 6-speed, the Ridgeline doesn't even get better mileage anymore. I'm thinking the next Ridgeline will be (needs to be) much improved over the first one. It was Honda's first foray into trucks after all, a market that GM has been in for 100 years. With the 3.7L V6 and 6-speed auto, I think the next Ridgeline will be considerably better on both the performance and mileage front. Not sure if it is actually getting that drivetrain, but if Honda wants to compete they need to do it.

"unibody pickup" isn't that a contradiction? :lol:

wonder if it'll actually get "good mileage" ... better than a v8 chevy/ford/toyota....

honda ever gonna go to more than a 5speed? or am i behind the times? (not counting acura)

Honda's first 6-speed auto made its intro on the ZDX and refreshed MDX just this year. It will likely spread through the lineup quickly.

Honda's first 6-speed auto made its intro on the ZDX and refreshed MDX just this year. It will likely spread through the lineup quickly.

gotcha, more than likely, but i was excluding acura. ;)

Remember, it doesn't matter if the vehicle makes practical sense or appeals to enthusiasts... it only matters whether it can part morons from their money.

By which metric the Ridgeline has already failed.

This is a tiny slice of the market that GM has failed to take full ownership of. The Avalanche is a clearly superior vehicle in all respects, yet it's own sales are slipping.

1) Because it costs way too much

2) It has very restrictive and irrational option bundling

3) It isn't promoted - at all

The Avalanche is really one of the best examples of innovative thinking and practical versatility in GM's portfolio, yet they let it exist in obscurity.

That needs to change.

This is a tiny slice of the market that GM has failed to take full ownership of. The Avalanche is a clearly superior vehicle in all respects, yet it's own sales are slipping.

1) Because it costs way too much

2) It has very restrictive and irrational option bundling

3) It isn't promoted - at all

The Avalanche is really one of the best examples of innovative thinking and practical versatility in GM's portfolio, yet they let it exist in obscurity.

That needs to change.

Pretty much sums it. I would have expected Avalanche to take at least 10% of GM truck market given the innovation, but price and options have kept people from buying one. GM should have put the Duramax in this vehicle.

>>"I would have expected Avalanche to take at least 10% of GM truck market given the innovation"<<

Not to question your number per say, but I get a degree of 'compromise' from the Avalanche that I could see not a lot of truck owners gravitating to... but that's not based on anything concrete- I've not even seen the Midgate in person.

>>"I would have expected Avalanche to take at least 10% of GM truck market given the innovation"<<

Not to question your number per say, but I get a degree of 'compromise' from the Avalanche that I could see not a lot of truck owners gravitating to... but that's not based on anything concrete- I've not even seen the Midgate in person.

Trust me, it's impressive.

There is no compromise in an Avalanche that a crew cab with shortbed doesn't already have.