http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/1597852934.html

Another one out of an F-Body:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/1588330249.html

Another one (sadly) out of a SyTy truck:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/1589345358.html

And another:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1594783760.html

Edited by whiteknight

WK: Seen all of those, I'm told none of them will work. Has to be an early EFI truck.

Is your transmission a 4L60 or 4L60-E? If it was a 4L60, I actually want to say the '84 model transmission I linked to should work, regardless of EFI.

I'm not 100 percent sure, though.

Obviously, the 4L60 wouldn't work in a truck with a 4L60-E.

Perhaps this chart would help? http://www.gmautomatictransmissions.com/transmission_applications.php

EDIT: Well, the ECM is a factor I didn't really consider, so now I'm really unsure.

Edited by whiteknight

Is your transmission a 4L60 or 4L60-E? If it was a 4L60, I actually want to say the '84 model transmission I linked to should work, regardless of EFI.

I'm not 100 percent sure, though.

Obviously, the 4L60 wouldn't work in a truck with a 4L60-E.

Perhaps this chart would help? http://www.gmautomatictransmissions.com/transmission_applications.php

EDIT: Well, the ECM is a factor I didn't really consider, so now I'm really unsure.

Yep, the ECM is the issue. I have to have one with all the right connections, has to be 4x4, has to be a 700R4 and not a 4L60, has to be a TBI truck, etc.

People do wacky things out of desperation. They might even sneak out and find a similar truck, steal it, do a quick and dirty surgery and go on their merry way. Not that I would condone such behavior, just saying that it is something someone could do.

People do wacky things out of desperation. They might even sneak out and find a similar truck, steal it, do a quick and dirty surgery and go on their merry way. Not that I would condone such behavior, just saying that it is something someone could do.

:lol: Very true.

This would be a tough one though, without a lift, air tools, and tranmission jack.

I'm not even tempted. :AH-HA:

Yeah, it's an '89.

I was thinking '91 for some reason.

Stuff becomes sooo obsolete soooo quickly these days. I didn't anticipate not being able to buy a reman unit.

Honestly, there isn't much that doesn't become obsolete overnight. I can't think of one consumer product, cars or whatever, that's an exception to the rule. It's a little bit ridiculous.

Yep, the ECM is the issue. I have to have one with all the right connections, has to be 4x4, has to be a 700R4 and not a 4L60, has to be a TBI truck, etc.

Just a stupid thought, but why not disconnect the ECM to tranny link and see who the current busted tranny runs. I would think it would still function well enough and not do any damage... but you'll get a CEL. Then you could use a "regular" 4x4 ready 700r4 to get by and fix it right later.

Just a stupid thought, but why not disconnect the ECM to tranny link and see who the current busted tranny runs. I would think it would still function well enough and not do any damage... but you'll get a CEL. Then you could use a "regular" 4x4 ready 700r4 to get by and fix it right later.

Not a bad idea!

Looking up the tranny in the Hollander shows quite a few donor vehicles...

Its a 1904B, but 1904A interchanges, as one has a aux valve body. Seems to be pretty common 1983-1989 4x4s.

Its a long list. If you want I can scan it, but its likely easier to just ask me... pretty much everything 4x4 and gas... goes to 1992 in Suburbans.

If I'm not getting everything assbackwards, the ECM controls transmission functions, tells it when it should shift, controls the torque-converter lock up, and so on. Without the trans hooked up to it, you'll be sitting.

My problem is knowing how to get rid of '80s model engine electronic systems, not work with them.

Actually, Camino, that's what I would do with your plow truck, get rid of the ECM so that the truck is simpler and easier to patch up. It can be done with the EFI motor in your truck. Or do you have to keep it for emissions testing?

Legality is an option for this truck - I don't really care if it is legal.

It just has to push snow (and be able to back-up) :smilewide:

I'm told there are conversion kits to put a TH400 in this truck, but I don't care about it enough to do that.

Looking up the tranny in the Hollander shows quite a few donor vehicles...

Its a 1904B, but 1904A interchanges, as one has a aux valve body. Seems to be pretty common 1983-1989 4x4s.

Its a long list. If you want I can scan it, but its likely easier to just ask me... pretty much everything 4x4 and gas... goes to 1992 in Suburbans.

Thanks!

That sounds promising as I saw one from an '84 shortbed on CL that is close by and cheap.

I found out the hard way that '92 is the cut-off at that end. The dealership had a junk '93 brought in and discovered that the trans was wrong only after it was out...

Legality is an option for this truck - I don't really care if it is legal.

It just has to push snow (and be able to back-up) :smilewide:

I'm told there are conversion kits to put a TH400 in this truck, but I don't care about it enough to do that.

Definitely buy a cheap SBC MSD ignition kit, intake manifold, and carb and get to town on ripping that ECM out of there then. Your plow truck would be so much easier to patch up afterward.

Edited by whiteknight

1984:

Blazer/Jimmy FS '83-86 AT, gas

Chevy/GMC Pickup Tr. '82-86 AT, 4x4, TH700, gas

Suburban '82-86 AT 4x4 TH700, gas

These are 1904As, so you may have to swap the speedo from cable to electronic. Might screw up ABS, but I think you could live with that.

I love threads like this.

Other threads people are complaining about fit and finish, interior plastics, navigation and cup holder counts...

This thread:

Legality optional, ABS broken, no Speedo, disable the ECM, Only needs first and reverse! This is my kinda thread.

In other news, I'll be probably looking for a gently used 4T65E-HD soon.

Yeah, it would be fun if the damn snow didn't have me so stressed-out!

The ROPOS will ride again.

I hear ya. I have to step up the fixing of the Caprice (broken for one year, ugh!), so I have something when the Bonne's tranny gives out... but the garage is too tight... I have to be halfway outside in the snow! And the garage leaks, so I have meltwater on the floor... not prime car working time.

Whew!

It's been a long, frustrating, day fighting all of the idiots relieving their cabin fever. Traffic everywhere, and accidents too, but I finally managed to get a transmission and deliver it to the shop. With any luck, the ROPOS will be ready for monday night's storm.

I'm exhausted and stressed-out, but I've done all I can do to make it happen.