2010 Chevy Equinox

BigPontiac

So I have a friend who decided she wanted to buy a small SUV. After much convincing, I finally got her to *consider* test driving the Chevy Equinox...all her neighbors had convinced her she should buy either a Toyota RAV4 or a Subaru Forester. I check a few local Chevy dealers that have some Equinox's in stock and we set out to test drive. Dealer has 2 AWD Equinox LTZs in stock, V-6, full loaded, $37K. Both have *way* too much crap on them, but serve the purpose to sell the Equinox and provide a test drive. She likes it, but wants the gas mileage of the 4 cylinder...so we move on to test drive the CR-V, RAV4, Forester, etc. One weekend down.

When all is said and done, she still likes the Equinox so the next weekend we drive an hour away to the only other Chevy dealer that has a 4 cylinder in stock for a test drive, a Red AWD 2LT...it also has the standard radio instead of the Nav like the previous test drive candidate, so she can decide whether she wants the factory Nav or not. The EcoTec passes muster, however she wants the LTZ in Silver w/solid black interior, so the 2LT is out. Second weekend down.

Back to the local Chevy dealer, no searches yield a 4 cylinder LTZ in Silver w/black, sunroof and the 18in wheels. So, it's on to placing the factory order -- dealer says 6-8 weeks. Dealer takes the order, deposit placed, life is good. Third weekend is the charm.

So the deposit was placed on Sat Jan 16, 2010.

No word from the sales guy since the deposit was placed, so I advised her to check-in (since it's been 4 weeks) and see if they can provide a status. Estimated build date is March 21, 2010! with estimated delivery at the dealer around April 10, 2010.

Now as her current car is slowly disintegrating, she actually *needs* a new car, this is extremely annoying. At this point, I'm wishing I hadn't even mentioned the Equinox! We may still end up at the Honda dealer before this ordeal is over.

i know GM is trying to keep up with Equinox orders. TBH, if she cancelled it and bought one of the others at this point that would be fair.

Please though! tell her to look at a CX-7, Outback, and Sorento too while she can, anything to avoid the CVR RAV4 and forester. those three are all terrible vehicles. . I would even add the outlander as one to look at. I am sure she is frustrated by this point. It kind of sounds like maybe the dealer is not top drawer either.

A CPO Vue is not entirely a bad option either. My gosh even the new Tucson is pretty nice!

The popularity of the CVR RAV4 and Forester is actually beyond comprehension to me. Maybe its because those are overtly feminine/p-y whipped male vehicles that to me are weak fluff, delicate and cheap, and really tailored for people who prioritize the worst attributes in car purchasing.

Even if she still gets the equinox now, she'll hate it for sure, only because of having to jump through hoops to get it. probably is better off to just let her bolt and fulfill the prophecy of domestic downers incorporated.

Edited by regfootball

Is "6-8 weeks" from order to build, or to delivery? Because if it's 'to build'- she agreed via the order to wait 6-8 weeks, and Jan 16 ~ Mar 21 is 9 weeks. Big deal. I CAN'T call that 'jumping thru hoops' in the least.

The factor of her current car disintigrating is indeed a driving, frustrating factor, tho it sounds like she pushed her situation with her DD to the brink and forced herself into that corner to a degree.

No guarantee she'll find what she specifically wants on another lot, either.

It is not GM's fault her current car is failing. So she needs to share some of the blame here if she waited too long.

To order a car that span is not a bad time frame for a car that is a hot seller.

If she wants it that bad she can change colors or some options to speed it up if she wants one that bad. IF she gives up on on the nox this easy it sound as if she really does not care that much what she buys.

Just try to order a Honda or Toyota not in stock! I have had friends who had to wait months for the right ship to come in with the car they want.

Good things only come to those who wait.

Always interesting to see different opinions and perspectives.

The 6-8 week time frame quoted by the salesman was "built, shipped and on our lot". I asked about him to confirm it 3 times! He also said GM had addressed the short supply issues.

So there are a few issue in play here:

- The salesman set an unrealistic delivery date expectation with the customer

- The salesman never followed through on the promised follow-up communication

- The customer, acting on the salesman's lack of follow-up, discovers promised commitments will not be met

- Communication and commitment issues lead to a feeling of mistrust on the part of the customer

- Customer is left with a negative impression of the GM buying experience before they even get the vehicle

- Customer shares these negative experiences with their friends and co-workers, thereby reinforcing a negative image for GM

This is another clear case of "Over-commit and under-deliver" and GM's dealer body still seems to not grasp the basics of retail, especially an item costing $33K.

And as the person who put their personal reputation on the line to "vouch" for GM to even get them to be *considered* in the shopping process, I am not happy. I've also shared this negative experience with the two other prospective Equinox and Terrain buyers I had pointed towards GM.

that sucks. could a cheap beater work? or is rental too much, no friends to loan her a car, or drive her around?

The current car will go on Craigslist as someone else's cheap beater! It was actually quite bulletproof until the first trade-in appraisal...after that it seemed to know it's days were numbered and began to rebel :mellow:

I'm a bit surprised that a 2000 Dodge Neon ES with 198,000 mi has lasted this long! I am still lobbying to turn it into a LeMons racer...

i know GM is trying to keep up with Equinox orders. TBH, if she cancelled it and bought one of the others at this point that would be fair.

Please though! tell her to look at a CX-7, Outback, and Sorento too while she can, anything to avoid the CVR RAV4 and forester. those three are all terrible vehicles. . I would even add the outlander as one to look at. I am sure she is frustrated by this point. It kind of sounds like maybe the dealer is not top drawer either.

A CPO Vue is not entirely a bad option either. My gosh even the new Tucson is pretty nice!

The popularity of the CVR RAV4 and Forester is actually beyond comprehension to me. Maybe its because those are overtly feminine/p-y whipped male vehicles that to me are weak fluff, delicate and cheap, and really tailored for people who prioritize the worst attributes in car purchasing.

Even if she still gets the equinox now, she'll hate it for sure, only because of having to jump through hoops to get it. probably is better off to just let her bolt and fulfill the prophecy of domestic downers incorporated.

She didn't like the look of the CX-7 for some reason...gas mileage was also on the lower end of the spectrum. VW Tiguan was branded "too manly", also not great mileage. GMC Terrain - "fugly". Hyundai/Kia - "I'm not buying a damn Hyundai/Kia". Toyota RAV4 - started as a lock, cheap interior turned her off. Subaru Forester - "kind of plain looking, not enough stuff (re:features) inside". Honda CRV - "nice, but the Equinox had a nicer design inside/outside..and more stuff". I think you get the gist...

She did like the Vue online, but wanted new and by shopping time the Saturn dealers were closed.

this is 2010, if someone wants to buy a car and its not available, there is no reason to wait. myself, i would bail and buy something else.

This is 2010, GM ought to know how to do lean manufacturing, which is going to result in NOT having every single color and option configuration on every lot. To do so would result in absolutely ridiculous overproduction that would just lead GM into another bankruptcy. It would be excellent if time from order to lot was shorter, and if the dealer would know the timeframe more accurately and communicate better with the customer, setting expectations better.

Is "6-8 weeks" from order to build, or to delivery? Because if it's 'to build'- she agreed via the order to wait 6-8 weeks, and Jan 16 ~ Mar 21 is 9 weeks. Big deal. I CAN'T call that 'jumping thru hoops' in the least.

The factor of her current car disintigrating is indeed a driving, frustrating factor, tho it sounds like she pushed her situation with her DD to the brink and forced herself into that corner to a degree.

No guarantee she'll find what she specifically wants on another lot, either.

Current car was slated for replacement in early 2009, death in the family forced reallocating the saved car funds to the estate. Life happens. Shopping kicked off when the executor reimbursement check was finally cut as the estate was settled.

I would also check with other dealers. When I bought my SS I had one dealer who would not search very far for what I wanted and then I had another that was willing to go anywhere to get what I needed at no charge.

It was the end of the model year and I had to change the color and get a roof rack but for the price I got It was well worth it.

It was my own fault I waited too long but I did find a dealer and salesman that worked with me 3 days to find what I needed.

He was willing to send someone to GA from OH to get what I wanted in the right color till the dealer there backed out of the inter dealer trade.

By changing colors It saved me 3 months to order one and about $2,000.

If you want the vehicle bad enough there are ways to work this out.

I would press this dealer to find one that is close and has a few more options then sell it for the same price. Make a free upgrade so to speak to save the sale.

Edited by hyperv6

$37,000 for any Equinox is madness, IMO, and bound for instant end-of-the-year incentives. Her 4-cylinder LTZ model seems like a good buy though.

Other than a ZR1 who pays sticker? Once demand catches up and the few idiots stop paying too much that one will be a good buy. I have averaged $7K off sticker off my last three GM cars.

Other than a ZR1 who pays sticker? Once demand catches up and the few idiots stop paying too much that one will be a good buy. I have averaged $7K off sticker off my last three GM cars.

The whole "I wont buy a GM without rebates" mentality is a part of why GM filed bankruptcy. I'm not saying that its bad to work a deal, but when people expect to get $5k off before any negotiating happens, something is wrong. It is GM's fault for pricing their cars above what they're worth, then overproducing them, then spending years bribing people to buy them.

Edmunds says people are averaging about $700 off the price of a Terrain with negotiating. Dealer south of here has a sharp Cyber Gray SLE-1 AWD at $26,745 MSRP. I was looking at 2.5L XLT Escapes today, too, and they're the same price or more than that snazzy Terrain.

Edmunds says people are averaging about $700 off the price of a Terrain with negotiating. Dealer south of here has a sharp Cyber Gray SLE-1 AWD at $26,745 MSRP. I was looking at 2.5L XLT Escapes today, too, and they're the same price or more than that snazzy Terrain.

The big thing seems to be "do you belong to a credit union?". If you do and you're on the list the dealer has, you qualify for Supplier Pricing. Two of the three dealers asked this question. My friend ended up paying supplier pricing on her Equinox as a result...I'm assuming this program is larger than just CT.

The whole "I wont buy a GM without rebates" mentality is a part of why GM filed bankruptcy. I'm not saying that its bad to work a deal, but when people expect to get $5k off before any negotiating happens, something is wrong. It is GM's fault for pricing their cars above what they're worth, then overproducing them, then spending years bribing people to buy them.

Not all but most have trained people to watch for sales and rebate packages. Also dumping cars on fleets sales kills resale so many feel they need to get their pound of flesh upfront.

Still even before the rebate train left the station there was never a need to pay sticker unless demad for a vehicle was so high and their numbers were so low.

Pricing is all supply and demand but GM had to build the cars as closing the plants cost even more than over producing. Kind of a bad case and even worse case deal. The only way to get the cash back was with rebates to get at least some of the money back. Kind of a death spiral.

I also spent time today in the Nox and Terrain. Much the same but the back interior of the terrain just was a black hole. It just looked Cheap. I need to see it in a dual tone and brighter interior. We were in all three Nox leather interiors and we like the two dual tone.

Also drove the Hyrogen Fuel Cell Nox today. If the electric motors are similar to the Volt it was a good drive. Lots of instant torque like a RC car.

Edited by hyperv6

• 2 weeks later...

I think they made the connection when they moved ahead with plans to expand the plant to build more NOX. I don't think they ever expected them to take off this well.

If I read correclty Sales are well over 135% over last years sales already. That is not counting the GMC sales.

The Camaro has been running full too and limited due to delays in getting tires from Brazil.

Edited by hyperv6

I think they made the connection when they moved ahead with plans to expand the plant to build more NOX. I don't think they ever expected them to take off this well.

If I read correclty Sales are well over 135% over last years sales already. That is not counting the GMC sales.

The Camaro has been running full too and limited due to delays in getting tires from Brazil.

GM announced those plans on the Equinox plant/shifts before this whole ordeal began. I asked the dealer specifically if GM resolved their supply issues before the order was placed and was assured it was resolved.

Supposed to be built between 3/15 and 3/22. At least once they under-deliver against initial expectations they track consistently to their late delivery schedule...

Last I read in Nov the expantion of the assmebly line would not take place for six months. That may mean it will not effect the 2010 line but the 2011 line.

Here was the original story.

Filed under: Plants/Manufacturing , Crossover , Chevrolet , GM , GMC , Canada 2010 Chevrolet Equinox - Click above for high-res image gallery It’s early, but so far, General Motors’ 2010 Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain twins are exceeding sales expectations by enough of a margin that the automaker may have to shell out some serious coin to better-align production with demand. Reuters and the Toronto Star say GM will pay $100 million loonies ($93M USD) to upgrade its CAMI assembly facility in Ingersoll, Ontario to pump out more copies of the well-received crossovers. The move comes after The General added a third shift at the facility on October 19, resulting in 350 new jobs. The plant expansion, which Canadian officials told The Star would occur over the next six months, would result in the call-back of an additional 150 laid off positions. The Equinox and Terrain were major factors in GM’s 4% year-over-year sales increase in October, as the two new crossovers accounted for 7,868 and 2,994 October sales, respectively. Gallery: Review: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox Gallery: New York: 2010 GMC Terrain [source: Reuters ] REPORT: GM to invest C$100M in Ingersoll plant to boost GMC Terrain, Chevy Equinox volume originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds

There was a lot of work to shut down the Suzuki line and change it over to an expanded line for the Nox and Terrain.

Either way I hope you see it soon. Anything good is worth waiting for.

Edited by hyperv6

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where you are at but a quick check of sealers in this area show 3-5 Nox on the lots.

Most are LTZ or LT with a good mix of AWD and FWD.

Might have the dealer do a search and bring one in if they have something close. If it is more get them to discount it.

If you have a good dealer they should be willing to do this. My last car we searched up to from Ohio to NJ, NY, CT,NC, SC, VA, PA, GA, WV, JY, TN, MO, IL, IN, MI. I got what I wanted and a few extra options at no charge.

Edited by hyperv6

Not sure where you are at but a quick check of sealers in this area show 3-5 Nox on the lots.

Most are LTZ or LT with a good mix of AWD and FWD.

Might have the dealer do a search and bring one in if they have something close. If it is more get them to discount it.

If you have a good dealer they should be willing to do this. My last car we searched up to from Ohio to NJ, NY, CT,NC, SC, VA, PA, GA, WV, JY, TN, MO, IL, IN, MI. I got what I wanted and a few extra options at no charge.

Dealer is not proactive at communicating. Tried another dealer over weekend, exactly one Equinox that matches what she ordered...in VA, which is more than 300mi away so they won't do a locate on it. After waiting nearly 10 weeks, she's certainly not going to settle now.

We all earn our reputation every day...and what this first hand experience is showing me is that GM still can't out of it's own way and some of their dealership body still lacks grounding in basic customer relationship management skills. Learning how to honor customer commitments might be another item GM and their dealers should investigate.

As the saying goes -- we appreciate effort, but we reward for results.

I am truly embarrassed to have recommended GM at this point. Should have let her go for the Subaru or the Honda.

Did GM customer service contact you?

They did on 3/15. They asked for the order number; I gave them what she said was the order number (unknown what the format of a GM order number looks like). Have not heard back. I e-mailed them again tonight.

You sound like this is the first time anyone has had to wait for a ordered car. This has gone on for years at GM, Ford and Chrysler from time to time. Supplier issues, high demads for some cars, line or quality issues that needed address have done this for years.

I remember a Trans Am that took 6 months due to a special seat option that was delayed by the supplier.

The only reason the imports from Japan don't have these issues is that you can not get what you want and you have to take what they offer 90% of the time. Try to order a exact Subaru or Honda. They give you few choices and you don't order them from the factory.

I can remember friends waiting 5 months for the right color Toyota to come in so they could buy it since they could not order it. No other dealer had it. They had to wait till the dealer called and told them they got one in.

If the dealer will not go 300 miles you need a new dealer. I have had several cars come in from that far in the past in dealer trades. It was never hard for me to get them to do it if they want to sell a car bad enough.

I know waiting is a pain but it is a part of life. If you want something bad enough the wait will be worth it.

If the dealer will not go 300 miles you need a new dealer. I have had several cars come in from that far in the past in dealer trades. It was never hard for me to get them to do it if they want to sell a car bad enough.

I agree, I used to do deliveries and trades for the local Nissan/Honda dealership here and we would drive to Denver, Salt Lake, and lots of places in between all the time. Denver is only about 130 miles, but Salt Lake is almost 400

It's just a shame that you've had so many problems, especially since it is for someone else...

Notification from both GM and the dealer today that the Equinox was built yesterday. Dealer's best case for delivery is still April 10, though I'll believe it when I see it. 4/10 would put this at 12 weeks. Would have been nice had the dealer been honest and upfront from the beginning about the timing of this.

You sound like this is the first time anyone has had to wait for a ordered car. This has gone on for years at GM, Ford and Chrysler from time to time. Supplier issues, high demads for some cars, line or quality issues that needed address have done this for years.

I remember a Trans Am that took 6 months due to a special seat option that was delayed by the supplier.

The only reason the imports from Japan don't have these issues is that you can not get what you want and you have to take what they offer 90% of the time. Try to order a exact Subaru or Honda. They give you few choices and you don't order them from the factory.

I can remember friends waiting 5 months for the right color Toyota to come in so they could buy it since they could not order it. No other dealer had it. They had to wait till the dealer called and told them they got one in.

I know waiting is a pain but it is a part of life. If you want something bad enough the wait will be worth it.

You're describing "old GM". This is supposed to be "new GM" who's learned from their past mistakes, shed their dishonest dealerships and claims to be focused on the customer so they can attract buyers who normally would not have considered GM in the past. What I am pointing out is the vast gap between GM's perception of where they are and the reality of what I am observing from the customer's perspective.

Rather than making excuses for GM and accepting mediocrity and the business as usual "that's just the way it is, live with it" attitude, I choose not to. I read a lot of rhetoric from all the GM execs on how GM has been given a second chance after bankruptcy and how this time it's different (really!) and yet from my first hand observations in this particular situation, it's all BS.

And I do know someone who ordered a Subaru Forester in Jan...she had her car in 3 weeks.

You're describing "old GM". This is supposed to be "new GM" who's learned from their past mistakes, shed their dishonest dealerships and claims to be focused on the customer so they can attract buyers who normally would not have considered GM in the past. What I am pointing out is the vast gap between GM's perception of where they are and the reality of what I am observing from the customer's perspective.

Rather than making excuses for GM and accepting mediocrity and the business as usual "that's just the way it is, live with it" attitude, I choose not to. I read a lot of rhetoric from all the GM execs on how GM has been given a second chance after bankruptcy and how this time it's different (really!) and yet from my first hand observations in this particular situation, it's all BS.

And I do know someone who ordered a Subaru Forester in Jan...she had her car in 3 weeks.

I could have given you the number of a dealer that could have got what you wanted and not even had to order it.....

If the Forester was not built here it was picked up in a dealer trade as you don't order from Japan. I would not be suprised it was not a trade anyway even if it was built in this country.

I think you issue is with the dealer you chose and the fact you got burned by them. This is why I was not upset to see many of the dealers go and more that should have.

Yep, it finally is coming on line. There should be plenty to go around soon. The key now is not to make do many they are rotting on the lots and they have to dump them on Avis.

• 3 weeks later...

12 weeks later, an Equinox is finally delivered. Despite the salesman's best efforts to blow the deal once the vehicle hit the lot (and getting an attorney involved) my friend finally has her Equinox.

post-236-12711225917456.jpg

Congrats.

BP you should email the event to Reuss as he wants satisfied customers - so in future at least some other customer won't get shafted by the dealer.

The way your friend has been treated is unacceptable given GM is fighting in the trenches for every sale.

Well, sorry she had to go through The School of Hard 'Nox to get her new CUV, but damn, that's a good looking trucklet. I hope it serves her well, and I hope she can find another dealer with a good service department for her maintenance needs.

Nice looking ride.

I would for sure find a better dealer If people would stop dealing with them they will go away.

Fill out the customer surveys for your salesman. They really do get taking into notice. As for 12 weeks I have seen many over the years go much longer time wise with many companies but you still should have been treated better by the dealer salesman.

If there service is not any better I would take any issues to another reliable dealer.

The sad part this is only one dealer out of many more like this so choose carefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: She loves her Equinox now that she has it...good news!

Also, my dad bought an Equinox after seeing hers. He however did a locate and used the good Chevy dealer. Red, 2LT, V6, AWD, sunroof, 18s, two-tone interior. That's both a 2010 Malibu and Equinox in his garage now. I've been pretty successful at this purchase influencing...