GMC or Buick? (used)

Which CPO mid-size SUV would you choose?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If you were in the market for a CPO GM mid-size SUV, which of the following would you choose?

• 2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD (25k miles)
    • 2006 GMC Envoy SLT-2 4WD (35k miles)

The Buick easily. Looks far more upscale, not everyone and their mother has one, 10k fewer miles, and of course uses the clearly superior Oldsmobile body shell. :neenerneener::cutlass:

And it's not white. White SUVs look too stereotypical family hauler or commercial use to me, for some reason.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Thanks for the votes and feedback so far... keep it coming guys!!

Question about the God awful dealer-added tape pinstripes. If I buy either of these SUVs and asked for the tape pinstripe to be removed prior to me taking delivery, does anyone here think that damage will show from where the stripes used to be? I am not a fan of non-factory pinstripes, especially the $10-$15 tape stripes sold by dealers for $150 bucks!! But I don't want any paint/clearcoat damage to be done by their removal.

Thanks for the votes and feedback so far... keep it coming guys!!

Question about the God awful dealer-added tape pinstripes. If I buy either of these SUVs and asked for the tape pinstripe to be removed prior to me taking delivery, does anyone here think that damage will show from where the stripes used to be? I am not a fan of non-factory pinstripes, especially the $10-$15 tape stripes sold by dealers for $150 bucks!! But I don't want any paint/clearcoat damage to be done by their removal.

It all depends on if who removes the stripes knows what they are doing.

whiteknight, is there a process I should instruct them to follow, or ask if they do it? I truly don't like pinstripes on my vehicles!!

5 to 1 for the Buick... my instinct tells me to go for the Buick too, since it has the G80 locking rear differential and the head curtain airbags (Envoy doesn't have either), the QuietTuning insulation, and the rear air suspension.

BUT, being a GMC fan, I'm drawn to the Envoy and that was what I was searching for in the first place (I really do like it's styling overall the best). And though the wife and I leased a 2005 Envoy SLT, I would have purchased it had I forseen the financial crisis that hit in 2009 (I was expecting to be able to finally get a Sierra, but between the '08 gas crisis, the '09 financial crisis, and then my own job crisis in '09, I had no other option but to let that plan go by). The 10k more mileage does also raise a flag, especially since the price of the Envoy is barely a $1,000 less than the Buick.

I plan to test drive the Buick on Saturday, and if all goes well, I may choose that over the GMC.

whiteknight, is there a process I should instruct them to follow, or ask if they do it? I truly don't like pinstripes on my vehicles!!

I'm not going to be much help here, but I will do the best I can to tell you what I do know. Ocn can probably elaborate on this better than me. :AH-HA:

There are four methods that I know that people use to remove pinstripes: a stripe-off wheel, a razor blade, spray-on chemicals, or a heat gun.

• The razor blade is for DIYers who don't feel like slapping down $10 bucks on a stripe-off wheel or $50 to $100 bucks for a heat gun, so it's pretty much safe to say that I don't think any professional body shops use this particular method. You can cause clear coat damage using a razor blade after all.
  • The 3M Stripe-Off Wheel is a giant rubber disc that is attached to a shank. DIYers and professionals alike use them because they can be used in power tools capable of spinning at least 4000rpms, like a power drill or Dremel tool. They can also be used in combination with a Large Area Stripe Remover disc for things like large decals, etc. Now, I will caution that the SOW can not only remove pinstripes, but burn clear coat off as well. It's fairly difficult not to on old, cracking pinstripe. I removed the pinstripe on my old '98 S-10 with a SOW in an old power drill and wound up burning the clear coat off of the passenger side front quarter panel (it did great everywhere else). With such little age on that Buick, though, I think there would be little chance for that happening. Whoever uses one should use it very carefully.
  • The heat gun is another method that leaves a fair amount of chance of not allowing the adhesive of the pinstripe to remove sections of clear coat. I would also expect some professional bodyshops to use this method as well.
  • There's also spray on products from 3M (GP Adhesive Remover, Decal and Woodgrain Remover) that can remove pinstripes quite safely as well. Sometimes these products can break down pinstripe to where it takes a rag, some elbow grease, and a good hand wash to get them off.

I would ask your dealer if they can remove the stripes and then ask exactly what method they use to remove them. Use your best judgment based on what they tell you.

If I'm telling him something monumentally wrong, someone step in and correct me. I know how much it sucks to remove pinstripe and damage the clear in the process.

Edited by whiteknight

*UPDATE*

So two vehicles weren't enough for me apparently, so I have to add in another to mess things up. There is a CarSense dealership 1.5 miles from my house (extremely close). I checked their website last night and they recently got in a 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP AWD, similar to this:

2CKDL737186021400-a.jpg

20k miles, same price as the Rainier (2 years newer, 5k miles less), 3.6L V6 engine/6-speed auto trans, factory remote start, more fuel efficient than the Envoy/Rainier, a little less roomy on the inside for a family of 5...

I went and test drove it tonight and I do like it, though I'm not sure I want to give up on the Envoy/Rainier yet (though the Torrent is closer in size to the vehicle I wish I could afford, a 2010 GMC Terrain).

So, given this new addition, would you still recommend the Rainier over the others???

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Heh, when I read you say Torrent GXP earlier today, I thought...different...but I think he's going to like it. Then again, perhaps you're like me & "like" something a lot about almost everything new or different you drive. Either way, cool idea, and a nice alternative. Not a true truck, so it sort of fits that niche like an Acadia does vs. an Avalanche, etc. for me. It's the lighter, faster, sportier, but still very roomy alternative to the true truck. I'm not a huge fan of the 1st gen Theta SUV's, but a GXP/Sport is as good as they got and very good at that.

Hard to say. Do you want more car, sharper handling, and a smaller tank/somewhat better economy, or do you want a heavier feel, truck strength, and not thirsty but just a bit more drink happy BOF mid-size SUV? I drove a GMT-900 and a Lambda back to back, but liked things about each in different ways, so it's hard to say...mmm...right now I'd say Buick-Pontiac-GMC...hard to put them in order, either way, ADD like me, one is never 100%, that grass is always greener.

Otherwise...on the pinstripes, shouldn't be a big worry. Pointe doesn't do anything, but does seem to like striping various vehicles from time to time. My G8 is...but...I liked it, heh. Otherwise, I actually have no doubt they'd get the detail guys to simply enough make them go away or the striper they call in, himself. Not a big issue.

Edited by caddycruiser

I am totally at a loss over which vehicle I want and for what reasons.

The 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP AWD is great because it is 2 years newer, has the balance of the factory warranty in addition to the warranties CarSense gives, the CarSense dealership is close by if needed for warranty repairs, it is a decent sized family hauler that offers both utility and performance, it has enough options to make me happy (namely the factory remote start, heated cloth seats, and 6-disc CD radio with AUX INPUT jack), being a GXP I love the sporty look, lowered suspension, and the fact that it is not as common as the regular Torrent (and silver isn't as common as black), and the fuel efficiency it affords because of the 3.6L V6 and being a lighter vehicle over the GMT-360s. Of course if I was able to afford a brand new vehicle, it would be the GMC Terrain which is the same size as the Pontiac Torrent. Also, being a Pontiac enthusiast this is the closest I can get to buying a nearly new Pontiac to boot.

BUT, the wife likes the 2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD the best out of all three choices. The luxury afforded by the Buick (and the GMC to an extent) beats out the Pontiac hands down. The Buick has 4-5k more miles and is 2 years older, but is priced $600 less than the smaller Pontiac. The Buick has a GM warranty in effect until August of 2011, and I'm sure it can be extended longer if I;m willing to pay for it. The Buick sits higher than the Pontiac, and being larger overall allows for more comfort for all passengers (family of 5, one child in a booster seat & another on the way for an infant carrier). No factory remote start and no AUX INPUT jack for my iPod are disappointments, but not really dealbreakers. The biggest hurlde though for me is the fuel consumption due to the heavier weight & the 4200 Atlas I-4 engine. Having leased a 2005 Envoy SLT 4WD, I know how these things like to gulp gas on trips and feeding a 22-gal gas tank is not a fun task to afford. But the size, features, and packaging of the Rainier are all plusses for me (I like the Envoy and really, really want to own a GMC most of all, but I can't pass up the better equipped and more luxurious looking Buick Rainier - plus it has 10k miles less than the GMC).

So, do I go for the newer vehicle with the better fuel efficiency and driving performannce in a smaller, sporty package ('08 Pontiac Torrent GXP), or do I go for the older & larger vehicle that I know can fit my family well, is more comfortable, and is better equipped, but at the expense of a higher fuel bill ('06 Buick Rainier CXL)?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Roger,

The Torrent is no doubt a nice SUV, and has lots of great features, but if you plan to tow or haul something medium/large sized a Rainer is a better fit. Now if you plan to do mostly around town running and no major towing or hauling the Torrent becomes a great option. However my 2007 averages 16/17ish in my town with lots of hills and barely crack 22/23ish on the highway @ 70-75mph. If you want to haul or tow go with the Buick if want something slightly sportier and slightly more fuel efficent I would go with the Torrent. I have had a few "bugs" with mine for instance my front seat bracket that holds the fabric down and it keeps snapping off. I have had a dead battery that could not even be jump started last summer and my rear wiper motor died. The battery issue is the only thing I am a little scared and un-certain off. Over all I have had good luck with it and 22,000 miles later still like it. I have taken it on two family trips and wish it had more cargo room out back, something you gain in the Rainer. They each look very nice but if your a "truck" guy the Buick will prolly speak to you, more than the "cuv". Considering what you have said it sounds like the Rainer might work out better.

Edited by gm4life

So the plan is to see the Buick Rainier Saturday morning, and if I like it more than the Torrent than I will proceed from there. If I'm not satisfied with the Buick, then the wife and I will stop back at CarSense to check out the Torrent. I've ruled out the Envoy, as I've already had one and would like something a little different this time around.

'06 Buick Rainier CXL AWD (silver, 24k mi) sold Tursday night (deal was signed Friday), salesman e-mailed me to let me know and to tell me about another Rainer they have - '06, AWD, 5.3L V8, Nav - 36,3xx miles, Red Jewelcoat Metallic. Not sure if I will check that one out. Any comments about teh V8 engine and/or the Nav radio?

Still thinking about the '08 Pontiac Torrent GXP AWD, though I am concerned about the overall size for family duty after reading gm4life's post.

I'd go for the Saab 9-7x meself.......

if there is any torrent to get, the GXP is it.

Still kinda likin the Ranier option myself.

You know, once you add the 5.3 into the equation, a used Tahoe could even be considered. I know its bigger, but the FE is darn close to the same and the interior I think you would find nicer.

I'd go for the Saab 9-7x meself.......

if there is any torrent to get, the GXP is it.

Still kinda likin the Ranier option myself.

You know, once you add the 5.3 into the equation, a used Tahoe could even be considered. I know its bigger, but the FE is darn close to the same and the interior I think you would find nicer.

Not really a fan of a Saab "truck/SUV" or Saab in general, and I'm reaching at the Buick too (when I think of GM trucks, I think GMC first). I'm leaning more towards the Torrent GXP because if I was going with a new purchase, it would be for a GMC Terrain and the Torrent is pretty much the same size. I looked for 2005 & 2006 GMC Yukons, but none were equipped the way I want, had too high of a selling price, or had high mileage. The only reason I'm not ga-ga over the red '06 Rainier is because it has the 5.3L V8 - I know how thirsty the 4.2 Atlas I-6 is, I can only imagine me with a V8!!

Not really a fan of a Saab "truck/SUV" or Saab in general, and I'm reaching at the Buick too (when I think of GM trucks, I think GMC first). I'm leaning more towards the Torrent GXP because if I was going with a new purchase, it would be for a GMC Terrain and the Torrent is pretty much the same size. I looked for 2005 & 2006 GMC Yukons, but none were equipped the way I want, had too high of a selling price, or had high mileage. The only reason I'm not ga-ga over the red '06 Rainier is because it has the 5.3L V8 - I know how thirsty the 4.2 Atlas I-6 is, I can only imagine me with a V8!!

True.....

Go for the GMC Envoy.

If a Rainier slipped out from under you, maybe it wasn't meant to be (glass is half empty).

Or, if another one became available, maybe it was meant to be (glass is half full).

Ok, so back to the topic:

- GMC still sells that vehicle...Rainier is discontinued...and that model name probably gets a "huh" from those not as familiar with vehicles as the people on this forum

- white is safer at night...and doesn't fade

- 10,000 miles is not much difference...everything has "seated" by now

- the 4.2 I6 is, as you say, thirsty...however, it has supposedly held up ok over the long haul (learn something new every day: never knew it was called Atlas, though I do remember Vortecs)...but, considering the Jeeps for a second, all the 6s in those vehicles also consume a lot of fuel

Let us know what you decide, or if you are going to pass on both.

Went to check out the Torrent GXP (2008) and Envoy SLT (2006), in addition to a few other vehicles per the wife's request. I didn't bother with the '06 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8 because I won't be towing anything and don't want to feed a V8 habit. As nice and unique as the Rainiers are, there are no others that impress me as much as the silver 2006 one that sold last Thursday night (the downside of not finding vehicles locally).

Moving on... I did select a vehicle tonight and placed a deposit on it to hold it for the next week. My credit union called me today and left a message regarding my request for a loan; I need to call the loan officer back tomorrow to find out the result. All I need to do is sell my '96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. The dealership I'm planning to buy from gave me a horrible trade-in appraisal and were not interested in improving on their offer before I left. I told the owner of the dealership that to make the deal go through a much better trade-in offer would seal the deal on the spot, but his reply was "that's my wholesaler's best offer".

So I'm not saying anything about the vehicle I selected today until (A) I know what my credit union is offering and (B) I find a buyer for the FWB (I am motivated to move it quickly).

'06 Buick Rainier CXL AWD (silver, 24k mi) sold Tursday night (deal was signed Friday), salesman e-mailed me to let me know and to tell me about another Rainer they have - '06, AWD, 5.3L V8, Nav - 36,3xx miles, Red Jewelcoat Metallic. Not sure if I will check that one out. Any comments about teh V8 engine and/or the Nav radio?

Still thinking about the '08 Pontiac Torrent GXP AWD, though I am concerned about the overall size for family duty after reading gm4life's post.

Listen I love mine, but it lacks some of the cargo room you gain with a GMT-360, and towing should you ever decide to tow. How my childern do you have?

Anys good luck can't wait to find out what you got!

Listen I love mine, but it lacks some of the cargo room you gain with a GMT-360, and towing should you ever decide to tow. How my childern do you have?

Anys good luck can't wait to find out what you got!

Well, I have selected a CPO vehicle, got approved for the loan request I made, and have placed a small deposit to hold the vehicle. BUT...

...I have to sell the Cadillac in order to make the deal work. So far no takers, and I lowered the price to $3,900 (what I need to satisfy my credit union loan on the car and to be able to get into the new vehicle). I'm not sure how much longer past Monday the dealer will hold the CPO vehicle, but I will ask for an extension (seeing as how they got the financing arranged and are holding the vehicle, why would they want to back out so soon?). If it doesn't work out, so be it, but me & the Caddy won't be together much longer anyway.

If I cannot sell the FWB for $3,900 now, I have no choice but to keep it. Not that I don't love the car, but I'm at the point that I don't want it anymore as my daily driver (if I could keep it as a 3rd car and slowly work on bringing it back to showroom new, I would - but I can't). So I'll work on an alternate plan where I can find a vehicle to use for work (haven't figured this one out yet, but have a couple of ideas), and in the process try listing the Cadillac on eBay and Craigslist to see if I can get the amount of money I'm asking for.

What makes me mad is the fact that here's another vehicle that I've purchased with the thought that it would be easy to sell when the time came XD Boy do I miss the ease of leasing my vehicles!! :yes:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Well, I have selected a CPO vehicle, got approved for the loan request I made, and have placed a small deposit to hold the vehicle. BUT...

I have to sell the Cadillac in order to make the deal work. So far no takers, and I lowered the price to $3,900 (what I need to satisfy my credit union loan on the car and to be able to get into the new vehicle). I'm not sure how much longer past Monday the dealer will give me to hold the CPO vehicle, but I will ask for an extension (seeing as how they got the financing arranged and are holding the vehicle, why would they want to back out so soon?).

If I cannot sell the FWB for $3,900 now, I have no choice but to keep it. Not that I don;t love the car, but I'm at the point that I don't want it anymore as my daily driver (if I could keep it as a 3rd car and slowly work on bringing it back to showroom new, I would - but I can't). So I'll work on an alternate plan where I can find a vehicle to use for work (haven't figured this one out yet, but have a couple of ideas), and in the process try listing the Cadillac on eBay and Craigslist to see if I can get the amount of money I'm asking for.

What makes me made is that here's another vehicle that I've purchased that I thought would be easy to sell when the time came XD Boy do I miss the ease of leasing!! :yes:

It's been listed barely a week!

Tell you what, if you write up a full, proper listing in one post, I can syndicate it out to Twitter, Facebook, and probably get it on a Cadillac forum.

It's been listed barely a week!

Tell you what, if you write up a full, proper listing in one post, I can syndicate it out to Twitter, Facebook, and probably get it on a Cadillac forum.

I know, that's my fault for going out and finding the replacement vehicle without actually finding a buyer first!! So I guess I'm acting in haste because I want the new CPO vehicle instead of my FWB.

I'll see what I can do. Is there a special format/sample for me to follow that you'd prefer?

I know, that's my fault for going out and finding the replacement vehicle without actually finding a buyer first!! So I guess I'm acting in haste because I want the new CPO vehicle instead of my FWB.

I'll see what I can do. Is there a special format/sample for me to follow that you'd prefer?

Just make it up like an excellent craigslist ad. Basically consolidate all of your posts about it into one post.

I will do that Drew. I get out of work ealry today due to the weather and should be able to do that at home sometime this evening. Do you want me to include pictures, and do I post it here or e-mail it to you? Thank you for offering me this service.

Post it in the member's marketplace section with pictures

I just saw the link to the beast on Twitter...it will sell Roger, eventually. Then again, this from someone (me) who listed his G8 with thousands in mods and expected it to sell in 2 hours...then traded it for a loss.

Gosh, I want that car...even if I didn't drive it much...THAT'd be a great toy...thinking back to my daily driver days with one...