Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: Eight-speed transmissions to proliferate through Audi lineup

5 posts in this topic

Report: Eight-speed transmissions to proliferate through Audi lineup

How many gears are enough? While it seems that six-speed automatic transmissions are just now becoming the de facto standard in most circles, Mercedes-Benz has been working with seven ratios for a while now and Lexus did its German rival one better by designing its own eight-speed. Not content to sit idle while other marques earn bragging rights, Audi and BMW have recently utilized eight-speeders of their own for their latest flagship models.

Citing unnamed sources within Audi, the crew at Inside Line are suggesting that the automaker will spread the eight-gear love across its model line, including even the lowly entry-level A3 hatchback with its 2.0-liter turbocharged four. Why all those gears? More ratios to choose from generally equals quicker and smoother acceleration along with increased fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.

As an aside, we're not quite sure where the law of diminishing returns will intersect with the desire for performance and bragging rights when it comes to automatic transmissions. In other words, what are the chances that we'll someday see nine or 10-speed gearboxes in luxury cars? Time will tell.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/16/report-eight-speed-transmissions-to-proliferate-through-audi-li/

i'm kinda surprised a 2 speed slapped on a 4 speed hadn't happened long ago. just as a "cruising adder" mostly, or a cold gear and a warm gear...?

i'm kinda surprised a 2 speed slapped on a 4 speed hadn't happened long ago. just as a "cruising adder" mostly, or a cold gear and a warm gear...?

That's an interesting thought - much like a bicycle 10 speed only needs 7 gears.

And when will GM do a reliable CVT. That would be much better in the CAFE wars, with a diesel it'd be a major plus.

after driving the generally very good altima CVT for nearly 1000 miles recently, i think i still prefer a stepped automatic over a CVT.

i guess at some point we all knew 6 speeds were not enough.

for the record, the CVT i found nicer than the VW DSG's I have driven. I sure hope they keep trying to improve those if they plan to keep making them.

If they can still improve over those altima CVT's and make them better still, maybe the CVT has legs.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0