Interactive Review: 2010 GMC Acadia SLT-2

Drew Dowdell

This Just In:

2010 GMC Acadia SLT-2

Stock%20GMC%20Acadia%20Front.png

Kicking off our next interactive review, today I received a 2010 GMC Acadia SLT-2. My first impression was at how big this vehicle is. As a former Avalanche owner, I doubt anyone stepping down from a Tahoe or Yukon would miss anything size wise. It feels like a big vehicle, but it drives much smaller than it is. It's an elephant doing it's best Fred Astaire impression. The wheels are freaking huge and probably give me a heart attack when it came time to replace them.

This particular Acadia came loaded with nearly every option and stickers at an eye popping $49,700.

gallery_51_25_305789.png

I leave tomorrow for a run to Columbus Ohio... so compile a list of questions for me to answer.

In other news, filled out the paperwork today to be added to Ford's press fleet, so if you have a FoMoCo vehicle you want me to request, let me know.

Can it maintain speed in 6th gear if you come to any type of hill, at highway speeds? My brother has an Enclave that I have taken on a few trips, and it seems like it shifts a lot between 5 and 6. How is the Acadia?

Edited by JamesBond
fixed it for you jwbouch

Thought about and still thinking about one...having driven 3-4 original 2007 & 2008 models of each brand, the '10 Acadia SLT I just drove with the DI 3.6L & latest trans program was VERY different. Still not a torquey pushrod feel like other GM trucks, but that just lets it waft along silently & if you do pound it, it MOVES. Much better than earlier models too. Both from a stop and trounced when cruising along, I was happy with the response.

Being a V6 & efficiency tuned 6-spd, it'll always shift a little more, but it performs well. On a quick 2 lane drive mostly cruising but the few hard spurts, I easily got 22-23mpg in the FWD model I drove with 4 miles.

I'm curious to see what you think of the flip and slide second row. The idea is cool, but at auto shows it always seemed to be kind of jerky and right on the edge of breaking.

We had one for a rental a while back and the second row worked really smoothly. The third row was surprisingly comfortable for 2, in fact it was fine for 7 people on a quick road trip.

Thought about and still thinking about one...having driven 3-4 original 2007 & 2008 models of each brand, the '10 Acadia SLT I just drove with the DI 3.6L & latest trans program was VERY different. Still not a torquey pushrod feel like other GM trucks, but that just lets it waft along silently & if you do pound it, it MOVES. Much better than earlier models too. Both from a stop and trounced when cruising along, I was happy with the response.

Being a V6 & efficiency tuned 6-spd, it'll always shift a little more, but it performs well. On a quick 2 lane drive mostly cruising but the few hard spurts, I easily got 22-23mpg in the FWD model I drove with 4 miles.

This is totally off topic, but I LOVE your car! That is what I want when I get a new car in 2 years! I have been fantasizing about G8's since I first read about them in late 06?

This is totally off topic, but I LOVE your car! That is what I want when I get a new car in 2 years! I have been fantasizing about G8's since I first read about them in late 06?

Sale Mr. Lucas!

You're both rather close to each other.

primarily mpg, second row comfort and footspace, and practical hauling ability. can you get plywood in one? second row seat seems low and footspace does not seem proper.

when i was test driving, the outlook and acadia were not nearly as nimble as my taurus x, but the lambdas ride larger and hold more stuff and were more commodious.

that second row slide mechanism really ought to be a power operated device as an option. the manual slider does seem fragile over time.

the lambdas are a great product. just too damn spendy when outfitted nicely.

Edited by regfootball

Well 200 miles down. This thing was just designed to gobble up interstate. The seats are very comfortable for long range driving. At first I wasn't too pleased with the thigh support but some fine tuning of the seat took care of that... it could be better... but it's not bad.

It does shift a lot in the 70-75mph range on inclines, but it's so smooth about it you only notice it if you're watching the tack. Engine noise is very muted, so much so that the washer pump seems louder than normal at highway speeds.

The cruise is willing to let you drift +/- 4mph to avoid shifting. Clearly a fuel economy thing, but probably annoying to other drivers on the road. I got a rather disappointing 17.5 mpg average so far, but the first hour I was stuck in bumper 2 bumper traffic. Still, my 5.3 liter Avalanche could do that. (it made the trip to Columbus once)

This Acadia has the heads up display. It's interesting because it's reconfigurable to your tastes. It will also display NAV direction summaries as you approach a turn and will show the song title of whatever is playing on XM.

The little woman who lives in the NAV system is the harpy annoying wife I'll never have, more so than other NAVs that I've experienced. Interface design is excellent and easy to use.

The stereo system simply rocks.

The exterior styling isn't my cup of tea, I'd really rather have a Buick, but it's still handsome and understated.

I'm trying to figure out why there are stereo controls in the trunk area.

How is visibility when changing lanes? Do high-end Lambdas have a blind-spot system? Would it be a worthy addition to the features list? They look like they sit up nice and high for good visibility out the front.

Visibility out the front is decent. The A-pillar is huge like on almost all GMs these days. I didn't have any lane changing issues. There is no blind spot system on this Acadia.

Well on the trip back from Columbus the Acadia performed a lot better, no hours worth of traffic jams, no terrible weather, just a nice steady drive.

I did the 203 mile run from the Columbus suburb of Dublin, Ohio to my house in 3 hours 32 minutes with no stopping. According to the trip computer I used 9 gallons of gas, which the computer confirmed with a 22.5 mpg result. Most of the run was at 70mph with about a quarter of it at 65mph. Computer says I have 275 miles left on this tank of gas.... I'm just below the 3/4 mark on the fuel gauge.

I'm going to head out an photograph the car in a little bit, so post here if there is something specific you want me to take a pic of.

Apples & oranges, but compared to something like a GMT-800 or 900 in daily driving, on the highway, on big bumps, bridge lumps and then curves...what do you think of the ride/handling/solidity feel?

I love how these things drive...SMOOTH is the word...but still being so "car" in guts, and a little soft overall and large in size, I'm not sure how I'd like or not like one 365 days a year vs. a bigger BOF SUV.

I'm curious to see what you think of the flip and slide second row. The idea is cool, but at auto shows it always seemed to be kind of jerky and right on the edge of breaking.

It isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be, but it works and doesn't give me the feeling that it will break. I have some video that I will post of it.

primarily mpg,

22.5 highway, 17.5 around down with me being...."assertive"

second row comfort and footspace,

Perfectly comfortable second row, the seats slide for foot room though the range isn't as far as I'd expect. I'm 5'10" and with the second row all the way back I have more leg room than I'd know what to do with.

and practical hauling ability. can you get plywood in one?

With the driver seat adjusted to my tastes, the cargo area with all rear seats folded measures 4' x 7'. You'll get everything but the ubiquitous sheet of plywood in there.

second row seat seems low and footspace does not seem proper.

I didn't feel the second row seems slightly lower than most sedans, but it wasn't noticeable after a moment.

when i was test driving, the outlook and acadia were not nearly as nimble as my taurus x, but the lambdas ride larger and hold more stuff and were more commodious.

Driving this thing feels like you're driving a full size SUV, but you can get it into places a Tahoe could only dream of. Highway on ramps are where the difference between the Lambdas and the GMT-900s really shows.

that second row slide mechanism really ought to be a power operated device as an option. the manual slider does seem fragile over time.

The mechanism itself is probably robust enough. Could probably stand a more substantial lever.

the lambdas are a great product. just too damn spendy when outfitted nicely.

$49,700...... ouch.... but I have a fairly base Traverse coming next week.

Apples & oranges, but compared to something like a GMT-800 or 900 in daily driving, on the highway, on big bumps, bridge lumps and then curves...what do you think of the ride/handling/solidity feel?

I love how these things drive...SMOOTH is the word...but still being so "car" in guts, and a little soft overall and large in size, I'm not sure how I'd like or not like one 365 days a year vs. a bigger BOF SUV.

The Lambdas are much more "car like" in their ride. I never felt missing any power unless I was on a sharp grade in West Virginia. From a comfort perspective, I'd gather that the Lambdas are much better long distance travelers. Not that the 900s are bad, just the Lambdas are better.

After driving the Acadia, I'm interested to try an Enclave for any quiet tuning they did. The Acadia is already damn quiet.

How is the build quality, and rattles or misaligned plastic? Has anyone one at a gas station/parking garage/etc asked out about it yet (ie does it turn heads)?

I didn't find any build quality issues. I had a woman at a gas station staring at the GMC while she was filling her Bonneville. A woman at the drive in at Wendy's complimented me on the color and said she had nail polish the same color if I ever needed touch up paint. The friend/client I work for who is on his 3rd Avalon crawled all over it and was impressed. He is looking for an Avalon replacement that will also cover the needs of hauling grandkids.

This thing just barely fit in my garage.... a garage where I was able to park a Roadmaster Estate surprisingly comfortably by putting the nose under the shelf.

It is ridiculous how much the Lambda's have increased in cost. I remember when the Enclave came out, a loaded one was about $45K. Now Acadia's are basically $50k!?

I don't recall with the original Enclave.... did they have all the techno gadgets like heads up display, rear parking camera, and built in LCD screens for rear passengers?

Nice review. I'm "THIS" close to making a deal on a new GMT-900, but I did like that '10 Acadia SLT I drove so much...then pondered an Enclave...I don't know. Gas mileage and overall feel, features, etc., I do prefer the Lambda's, but i continued to fret "too much car..." even though that's what makes them great.

Would like to try an AWD with the DI engine. I've only driven FWD models and they certainly move, without noticeable traction issues, but it depends. Hmm. Lambda's, I like you. Even if you are fancy minivans, sort of...

Nice review. I'm "THIS" close to making a deal on a new GMT-900, but I did like that '10 Acadia SLT I drove so much...then pondered an Enclave...I don't know. Gas mileage and overall feel, features, etc., I do prefer the Lambda's, but i continued to fret "too much car..." even though that's what makes them great.

Would like to try an AWD with the DI engine. I've only driven FWD models and they certainly move, without noticeable traction issues, but it depends. Hmm. Lambda's, I like you. Even if you are fancy minivans, sort of...

My brother (actually it is my sister-in-law's) has an 08 Enclave, front wheel drive. He lives in Ohio and he regrets not going AWD. He said it is terrible in the snow. I've never driven it in the snow, so I can only say what he told me.

I don't recall with the original Enclave.... did they have all the techno gadgets like heads up display, rear parking camera, and built in LCD screens for rear passengers?

The Enclave has never had HUD to my knowledge. The Acadia was originally a Pontiac, hence it got the HUD. It didn't have the LCD screens for the rear, but you could still get the regular rear DVD and sunroof at the same time, I'm pretty sure. And I'm pretty sure it had the rearview camera as well.

Of the Lambdas, I think my favorite is Acadia and closely behind is the Enclave, purely based on interior and exterior styling and features. The Traverse seems like too much of a family hauler/quasi-minivan to me (though all of them fit that description, the Traverse seems more so). Have sat in all of them incl. the Outlook, haven't driven one.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

My brother (actually it is my sister-in-law's) has an 08 Enclave, front wheel drive. He lives in Ohio and he regrets not going AWD. He said it is terrible in the snow. I've never driven it in the snow, so I can only say what he told me.

i think the mpg difference is minimal, and the resale will be much better with AWD. A lambda i would advise to purchase AWD. But like if its your second or third car, .....prob not as big a deal.