Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

IIHS names 2011 Hyundai Sonata a Top Safety Pick

11 posts in this topic

Filed under: Budget, Sedan, Safety, Hyundai

2011sonataopt.jpg
2011 Hyundai Sonata - Click above for high-res image gallery

The 2011 Hyundai Sonata has a lot of things going for it. Not only does the sedan wear sleek new sheetmetal, it's powered by a powerful yet fuel-efficient 2.4-liter four-pot mill with direct injection, capable of achieving up to 35 miles per gallon on the highway and it's priced below the $20,000 mark. Now, the Sonata can wear another badge of honor, as it has just earned the rating of Top Safety Pick from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

According to the IIHS, a Top Safety Pick vehicle must earn the highest rating of "good" in all front, side and rear crash tests, and it must be equipped with electronic stability control. This is a relatively big achievement for Hyundai, as the 2011 model is the first Sonata to receive this high honor.

We're in the process of conducting our first drive on the Sonata as you read this, so stay tuned for full driving impressions in the not-too-distant future.

[source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety]

IIHS names 2011 Hyundai Sonata a Top Safety Pick originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=pp2onJYRnSc:AWFNQMVQkAw:wF9xT autoblog?i=pp2onJYRnSc:AWFNQMVQkAw:V_sGL
pp2onJYRnSc

View the full article

Good for Hyundai. On another note, GM needs to hire Hyundai's photographers.

2011sonata005.jpg

2011sonata004.jpg

2011sonata006.jpg

2011sonata018.jpg

2011sonata000.jpg

Wheras this is what GM typically gives us: chevrolet-malibu.jpg

Whether you like the Sonata or not is not the point, the point is that Hyundai's got better photographers.

Still looks like a Klingon.

I'm not crazy about the way it looks, but IMO it looks better than the Solara.

Toyota-Camry_Solara_Coupe_2004_800x.jpg

I'm not crazy about the way it looks, but IMO it looks better than the Solara.

I'd say they are on par and I'd give the Solara the nod because it was a 2dr and they had a convertible version. Both a bit odd looking, esp. the noses and front lighting.

in person the car is very nice.

mpg=tops

safety=top pick

warranty=one of the top ones

price=competitive to lowest

styling=new and fresh done nicely

interior=from the outside looking in, looks pretty well done

space for passengers=of the tops in its class

power=best in class (4 cyl)

reliability=hyundai is now considered one of the better ones

now you know why GM is saying they are concerned about hyundai.

as soon as a dealer around here gets one with a stick, i want to test one out. a 200hp manual large sedan would be a nice sleeper car for myself.

The formula is great. I'm just not sold on the exterior looks.... and I have seen one in person

Not going to ageee on the pics presented above WRT quality. Having corners of your product disappear in non-existant lighting unintentionally is not 'good photography'. Tha Malibu shot does have the typical GM 'fake lighting' that's not natural when you analyze it, but at least you can see the whole car.

Last hyunda shot really makes it look quite awkward, but the typical rental customer prolly doesn't care in the least.

Hyundai really pulled out the stops. The exterior will take some getting used to, and I do think it's quite hideous, but the paper specs are hard to ignore. I wonder if it still drives like a Hyundai.

Not that it matters, I would never buy a Hyundai cause I'm a badge snob. :thumbsup: