Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Cadillac plans to relaunch in Europe

7 posts in this topic

Cadillac plans to relaunch in Europe

Chrissie Thompson

Automotive News Europe -- February 22, 2010 09:03 CET

DETROIT -- General Motors Co. will create a European arm for its Cadillac luxury brand after distributor Kroymans Corp. declared bankruptcy last year.

Cadillac Europe will import, market and distribute Cadillacs through a sales and service network in “key European markets,” GM said on Monday in a statement. The company said it would give details later.

Kroymans, a Dutch dealership group, went bankrupt in March. But some Cadillacs, such as the CTS and the CTS-V sedans, have remained on sale in Europe since then, Cadillac spokesman Nick Twork said in an e-mail.

"Europe is an important market for Cadillac," Bryan Nesbitt, Cadillac general manager said in a statement. "Re-establishing distribution of our premium offerings is good news for those who seek import exclusiveness."

Although Cadillac is one of America's top-selling luxury brands, it has never gained a foothold in the European premium market dominated by German luxury carmakers BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi.

Many Europeans are put off by the brand's brash styling and Cadillac also was late in introducing diesel models in Europe where about half of new cars sold are diesels.

At the Geneva auto show on March 2, Cadillac will give its CTS coupe a European debut. The car will go on sale in Europe this fall after its summer launch in the U.S.

The CTS Sport Sedan and range-topping CTS-V, both on sale now, will also be on display in Geneva, along with the CTS Sport Wagon, which will go on sale later this year. A redesigned SRX crossover also will be shown. SRX sales start this summer.

Cadillac's European sales have been handled out of General Motors Europe's offices in Zurich, Switzerland, since Kroymans collapsed.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20100222/ANE/100229981/1260#ixzz0gGmFTn9c

Infiniti is launching a turbo-diesel V6, where is GM's? Where is a turbodiesel 4 cylinder rated at around 200hp for an entry-level CTS? Where is a turbo 4 (the 220hp DI turbo I4 used on the Insignia, for example) also for an entry-level CTS?

EDIT - I mean entry-level in relative pricing, not Buick CX style entry-level. I actually think Cadillac's lineup should be built around the Platinum and V trim levels exclusively.

Edited by ZL-1

Infiniti is launching a turbo-diesel V6, where is GM's? Where is a turbodiesel 4 cylinder rated at around 200hp for an entry-level CTS? Where is a turbo 4 (the 220hp DI turbo I4 used on the Insignia, for example) also for an entry-level CTS?

EDIT - I mean entry-level in relative pricing, not Buick CX style entry-level. I actually think Cadillac's lineup should be built around the Platinum and V trim levels exclusively.

GM's diesel V6 is right here.

I think the CTS is probably too heavy for a 200hp 4-cylinder TD

GM's diesel V6 is right here.

I think the CTS is probably too heavy for a 200hp 4-cylinder TD

1) That's an article from 2007, we are in February 2010. As far as I know, GM stopped the development of that engine, although I think it still appears in VM Motori's website.

2) The new 5 series, which I assume is where Cadillac is aiming at with the CTS, will be offering a 184PS turbodiesel I4. It sells well over here and not only in low spec models as many executive sedans in Europe are very well equiped 520d models.

If Cadillac wants volume in Europe these things have to be addressed before an importer/dealer structure is put in place. I hope they are for the refresh or NG of the CTS around 2012.

Edited by ZL-1

Cadillac to set up new distribution network in Europe, diesel dead

Amidst all the turmoil at General Motors last year, Cadillac lost a large chunk of its European distribution with the collapse of its partner, the Kroymans Group. General Motors has now decided to make a renewed push into the continent with its premium brand and is setting up its own distribution network to handle sales and service.

Cadillac Europe will handle the task of marketing the CTS and SRX in all of their various incarnations. The CTS Sportwagon and Coupe will join the sedan following the coupe's European debut in Geneva next week. Europe was actually intended to be the primary market for the Sportwagon since drivers there don't seem to have the aversion to that body style that Americans do. Later this year, the SRX joins the party and Cadillac will continue to offer the big Escalade hybrid to the three of four people that are interested.

Unfortunately, according to Cadillac spokesman Nick Twork, the much-anticipated 2.9-liter turbodiesel V6 that was announced three years ago at the Geneva Motor Show is no longer part of the plan. The oil burner that likely would have done much to help expand Cadillac's appeal in that market. Instead, Twork tells Autoblog that Cadillac will "be a niche brand."

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/22/cadillac-to-set-up-new-distribution-network-in-europe-diesel-de/

Instead, Twork tells Autoblog that Cadillac will "be a niche brand."

There could be a very interesting side-interpretation to this remark! Now that SAAB is gone from the GM portfolio, and with Cadillac out of the way volume-wise, could Opel try and supply one or more higher priced cars? A return of the Opel Omega, for example?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room