Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Cruze will drive third shift at GM’s Lordstown, Ohio, plant

9 posts in this topic

Cruze will drive third shift at GM’s Lordstown, Ohio, plant

Chrissie Thompson

Automotive News -- February 22, 2010 - 2:43 pm ET

DETROIT -- General Motors Co. will add a third shift to its plant in Lordstown, Ohio, when it starts production of the Chevrolet Cruze, according to two sources familiar with the plan.

The Cruze small car arrives at dealerships in the third quarter.

The move would make the Lordstown plant the sixth of GM’s 16 North American factories to operate at more than what is typically known as 100 percent capacity: two standard shifts, five days a week.

GM said today that North American President Mark Reuss will make a production announcement at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the Lordstown plant.

That factory currently makes the Chevrolet Cobalt, with production scheduled to end in June. The plant was running on three shifts during the summer of 2008, when gasoline priced at more than $4 a gallon boosted small-car sales. But production had dropped to one shift by the following spring as gasoline prices plunged and the U.S. economy fell further into recession. GM added a second shift in the fall of 2009 as U.S. light-vehicle demand lifted from six months of 27-year lows.

Since then, GM has ramped up production at three other plants. Factories in Ingersoll, Ontario, and Kansas City, Kan., are running three shifts, and GM’s SUV plant in Arlington, Texas, is running 20 hours a day, five days a week. GM has said it will implement third shifts this spring at plants in Delta Township, Mich., and Fort Wayne, Ind.

In January, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said he expected annual production of the Cruze to exceed 200,000 units.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100222/OEM01/100229965/1261#ixzz0gJLPQXQk

Lets just hope people love this car. I have yet to see one and while it looks better than a Cobalt I am not sure what to think of this comprared to the other cars on the market.

Youngstown needs the work so I hope they can move these.

Once they get caught up on these I expect the new Buick will fill out the rest of the plants work.

The local house rep is taking credit for himself and Obama for bringing in 1500 new jobs here.

The truth is there are maybe only 300 new jobs the rest are just laid off GM employees. The Jobs were coming here 2 years ago when the local UAW decided it was best to work with GM than fight them. Right now they have a good relationship.

I guess the only thing the goverment did was when they gave the loan it prevented a possiblilty the plans may have changed or been delayed. It is just sad they can't be happy with some of the credit and not try to take it all. Tim Ryan had not done anything for 5 years and now with the election coming up he is claiming anything he can. He may lose to ex con Jim Tafficant. They love the cons in Youngstown. LOL!

On a side note Mark Reuss said it took less than a half tank to drive from Detroit to Lordstown a range of 250 miles in the Cruze.

The truth is there are maybe only 300 new jobs the rest are just laid off GM employees. The Jobs were coming here 2 years ago when the local UAW decided it was best to work with GM than fight them. Right now they have a good relationship.

I guess the only thing the goverment did was when they gave the loan it prevented a possiblilty the plans may have changed or been delayed. It is just sad they can't be happy with some of the credit and not try to take it all. Tim Ryan had not done anything for 5 years and now with the election coming up he is claiming anything he can. He may lose to ex con Jim Tafficant. They love the cons in Youngstown. LOL!

If GM was gone, which they almost certainly would have been without government intervention, then the laid off employees would not be getting jobs. So while I don't know anything about your local politics, I think it is fair to say that without government intervention those jobs likely wouldn't exist.

On a side note Mark Reuss said it took less than a half tank to drive from Detroit to Lordstown a range of 250 miles in the Cruze.

How big is the fuel tank?

The local house rep is taking credit for himself and Obama for bringing in 1500 new jobs here.

Nice!

If GM was gone, which they almost certainly would have been without government intervention, then the laid off employees would not be getting jobs. So while I don't know anything about your local politics, I think it is fair to say that without government intervention those jobs likely wouldn't exist.

How big is the fuel tank?

The odds are they would have still built this car here if GM went Chapter 11 with out help. It may have been delayed but they already had the agreement. The local rep has done nothing but gone to Wahington and voted as his party and not his people have asked. That is why he has been in hot water and has people wanting Jim to run again. Jims an idiot but at least he spoke his mind and he brought in money all the time not election time.

Either way while what he voted for my have helped he is working hard to make it like he did the whole thing himself.

How big is the tank that was my thought. I figure at least 16 gallons and GM keeps saying it will do 40 MPG. I also wonder how many were in the car 4 people?

Edited by hyperv6

I think he likes it:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Right. Maybe they do no have yet.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0