Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Report: Acura considering small car below TSX

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Hybrid, Hatchback, Acura

01-acura-rsx-630op.jpg
Acura RSX - Click above for high-res image gallery

With Acura's decision to nix V8 power and rear-wheel drive in favor of new hybrid drivetrains, dealers are worried that the brand's relentless pursuit of Tier 1 status - on par with Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz - may be threatened. But that's not the real news.

Buried at the end of an Automotive News piece about a recent Acura dealer meeting was this gem:
"[Jeff Conrad, vice president of the Acura division] confirmed that Acura is considering a small car below the TSX sedan. The vehicle not only would compete against the
BMW 1 series
Audi A3
and
Volvo C30
but also would help meet looming CAFE regulations."

With the TSX's growth spurt, a smaller offering from the automaker could be in order, and judging by the competition, that could mean the rebirth of the RSX. Then again, Acura could pull a CSX (an upgraded Civic for the Canadian market) or maybe even a CR-Z-based offering. Judging by the choice wording, we somehow doubt the former is in the cards, but with Acura's recent hybrid push, something with a gas-electric drivetrain seems likely.

Gallery: Acura RSX

01-acura-rsx_thumbnail.jpg02-acura-rsx_thumbnail.jpg03-acura-rsx_thumbnail.jpg04-acura-rsx_thumbnail.jpg05-acura-rsx_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]

Report: Acura considering small car below TSX originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=D0qcx9Ro_jI:pbqopxFBNs8:wF9xT autoblog?i=D0qcx9Ro_jI:pbqopxFBNs8:V_sGL
D0qcx9Ro_jI

View the full article

A new Integra wouldn't be a bad thing.

The Canadian market certainly misses the RSX since being amazed that Acura didn't continue it in the first place. It's bound to have the same appeal again in the states.

I always wondered why they canned the RSX. There was a time around 2001 where you couldn't swing a dead cat on a college campus without hitting an Integra.

I always wondered why they canned the RSX. There was a time around 2001 where you couldn't swing a dead cat on a college campus without hitting an Integra.

Tuner Boys. Acura did not want them to be on the same showroom floor along with the geriatric luxury car buyers. My service manager - a great GM fanatic - at Fountain Acura, where I used to service the TSX said that Honda wanted more affluent buyers on the floor. And then they got the beautiful design!