NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Man Trades In $1.6 Million Bugatti Veyron For Corvette ZR1, Doesn't Look Back

17 posts in this topic

Man Trades In $1.6 Million Bugatti Veyron For Corvette ZR1, Doesn't Look Back

A Texas Chevy dealer just accepted the trade-in of a red-on-black $1.6 million Bugatti Veyron for a $100,000 Chevy Corvette ZR1. We knew the fiercest of all 'Vettes was a world-beater, but this is ridiculous! Exclusive details below.

All American Chevrolet of Midland, Texas just made the mother-of-all-trades when it accepted a Euro-bombing 2008 Bugatti Veyron with just 20,307 miles for an unabashedly American Corvette ZR1. A new Veyron lists for about $1.6 million and a used one still costs in the range of $1.4 to $3.6 million depending on condition, trim, and rarity. A new Corvette ZR1, by comparison, starts at around $107,000.

And while the Corvette ZR1 only does 0-to-60 MPH in 3.3 seconds with a top speed of 205 MPH, compared to a 253 MPH top speed and 2.4-second 0-to-60 time, it doesn't cost more to run the ZR1 than to operate a private jet. Chalk that up in the win column because it certainly does with the Bugatti. Also, the Bugatti doesn't have the righteousness of an American-built supercar.

Suck it, Europe!

[All American Chevrolet Midland]

link:

http://jalopnik.com/5478280/man-trades-in-16-million-bugatti-veyron-for-corvette-zr1-doesnt-look-back

Traded? I hope he got some cash back along with it....or like one of each car GM makes.

Smart man.

Got a payoff, absurd maintenance off of his back, and took the change from the transaction in the form of a ZR-1.

This doesn't Bug me in the least. Dude got smrt. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 ForTheWin.

For sixteen times the price, the bug should deliver 1/16th the acceleration times (0-60 : 0.2 sec) and 16 times the top speed (3280 MPH) of the ZR-1.

It's a bit short there.... and thusly; a sucky deal.

C'mon Balthazar - it's just like with any product with hard limits (in this case, physics). As you approach that limit, prices go up exponentially.

Mountain bikes are another great example. I have a bike I bought for $1k. A $5k bike is maybe 10-20% faster over a race course, not five times faster.

I'd hope there is more to this story... Is this the dude who crashed his Veyron into a lake? That Veyron might only be worth a 100K.

Of course, I have no confidence in the smarts of the offspring of the uber rich... it wouldn't have surprised me to see a Veyron in the Cash for Clunkers program.

I'd hope there is more to this story... Is this the dude who crashed his Veyron into a lake? That Veyron might only be worth a 100K.

Of course, I have no confidence in the smarts of the offspring of the uber rich... it wouldn't have surprised me to see a Veyron in the Cash for Clunkers program.

That was my thinking as well. I'm not pitting one car over another. I could care less if the guy bought 10 Corvettes for the trade in. I just can't believe someone would be so stupid to make this kind of deal.

For sixteen times the price, the bug should deliver 1/16th the acceleration times (0-60 : 0.2 sec) and 16 times the top speed (3280 MPH) of the ZR-1.

It's a bit short there.... and thusly; a sucky deal.

You can look at it as an inverse relationship and conclude the opposite. :neenerneener:

^^^ If I did look at it inversely (that the Corvette should give 1/16th the performance :: top speed~ 16 MPH), that certainly would not reflect well on the Corvette.

C'mon, the Veyron is not 'worth' anything near $1,600,000 for what you get & what it delivers, esp WRT the supercar competition.

The trade IS very strange for a number of reasons, but it's NOT questionable in the least from a business standpoint. Perhaps for this individual, that was his primary criteria this time around.

Simply put, the Corvette makes sense and the Veyron does not.

If I were rolling in wealth, I would treat supercars the same way: Buy a new one, enjoy it for a short time, and finally unload it before the value plummets.

Except that 253mph is extremely difficult for production car to get to. You can shove a lot of power in a car that doesn't mean it'll go that fast. C'mon you're smarter than that. VW doesn't even make a profit on these things.

Except that 253mph is extremely difficult for production car to get to. You can shove a lot of power in a car that doesn't mean it'll go that fast. C'mon you're smarter than that.

And you are going to go 253mph where? In Top Gear they had to go to the VW track/testing ground that has the longest straight in the world or something like that, IIRC.

I wouldn't trade in the Veyron if I could actually afford it, but if the guy couldn't afford it it's not a bad move at all.

Um, the whole point of any sort of exotic car/supercar is not practicality. Hurr hurr.

You gonna car up them corners as your drive a ZR1 to the store? Yeah, no. I Cobalt would do just fine.

The Veyron is a triumph of engineering, and of what what the car can do. Of course to most rich people who can afford it, it's just an expensive toy, but that goes for most owners of expensive cars.

^^^ If I did look at it inversely (that the Corvette should give 1/16th the performance :: top speed~ 16 MPH), that certainly would not reflect well on the Corvette.

C'mon, the Veyron is not 'worth' anything near $1,600,000 for what you get & what it delivers, esp WRT the supercar competition.

The trade IS very strange for a number of reasons, but it's NOT questionable in the least from a business standpoint. Perhaps for this individual, that was his primary criteria this time around.

Yeah, I thought about it a few yours after I posted. Hunger ate my brain. I can't edit though. :(

I would venture to guess that everyone who buys a Veyron funds VW Group's development instead of paying for the development costs that went into the car.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor