Clinics? Nix, says Camaro's daddy

Northstar

Automotive News / January 30, 2006 - 6:00 am

General Motors' product czar Robert Lutz doesn't want car clinics to dilute the Chevrolet Camaro concept's styling if the vehicle gets the OK for production. "There will be no clinics," he told employees at GM's tech center in Warren, Mich., a few days before the concept car's Jan. 10 unveiling at the Detroit auto show. One source said designers gave a collective sign of relief, since car clinics often have been blamed for watering down the styling of GM's vehicles as they morphed from concepts to production vehicles.

http://autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...2/1003&refsect=

Sweet. This whole GM thing is really starting to come together nicely. The new Tahoe, Escalade, Lucerne, Enclave, Aura, Sky, Solstice and Camaro really represent a new GM. Funny thing is, what car does Toyota have in response to this? They have everything covered except for the one category...the soul-filled, car lover's enthusiast sports car. I want this car so bad..

Guest YellowJacket894

WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHOOOOOO-HHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!

Great! The Camaro is going to kick major ass... and the ass kicking is just around the corner.

Hell, why not just nix the styling clinic on all future GM cars. If the design is right, it will only benefit GM in the future. Who knows? Maybe the people invited to see GM's future products and clinic them are people who want to see watered down GM designs. (I.E. People with very bad intentions wanting only trouble.)

Guest YellowJacket894

The G6 isn't that bad, but - dammit! - it could be so much better.

I seriously think GM invites maybe Toyota executives without knowing to all of its styling clinics. How else do you explain styling stiffies going flaccid in less than 6 seconds? :D

The canceled Ion wasn't going to be cliniced either. I think GM's learning that styling clinics are "da' debbil."

Take everything bad I've ever said about Robert Lutz.

Now dismiss it, forget it and destroy any evidence of it. This is great news. Thanks Mr. Lutz!!!

Obviously some things will be changed. Look at the Solstice concept vs. production; imagine the same changes on the Camaro. Plus the interior completely being re-sculpted.

I think it'll be less of a change than the solstice. I can only see them adding door handles and maybe different mirrors.

I've been saying that for years, and without any sarcasm. It's too bad he's getting up there in age, else I'd really back him for CEO.

But wouldnt it be better for him to focus on the product than.... well pretty much everything? Anytime Lutz has to spend time fixing something else, is less time that he could be fixing the product.

hey, im not expert but something i saw

http://www.55-57chevys.com/coccc/articles/1955/1story3.html

Says Curtice: "The best committee is the committee of one."

While looking over one recent model, Curtice spotted a flaw in its lines, was told that it was far too late to do anything about it. Said he: "To hell with the time element; let's make the change."

the articles are pretty cool

Yeah, just take a look at the G6! The concept was amazing, and then look what we got for the final product.

Yeah, isn't that the truth. I was really let-down when the production version of the G6 came out. Keeping concepts truer to there orig design is usually the best way to go.

Guest YellowJacket894

Obviously some things will be changed. Look at the Solstice concept vs. production; imagine the same changes on the Camaro. Plus the interior completely being re-sculpted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope they don't mess with it too much. The production Solstice has two elements that bother me a bit: a.) the replacement of the badge higher up on the nose of the car and b.) the small side scallop that functioned as a hood release on the concept now looks like a non-functioning afterthought.

I can see the interior changing, though. That's just common sense.

One thing it better not have: a GM badge!

nothing a heat gun and credit card will not solve in under 5min. :)

Back on topic, if the people inside GM have to use clinics to find out what to build, why are they working there anyways?

To slash the time to build, clinics have always been a waste of time and money.

I totally agree.

Hire BV and I, and you won't need a clinic :AH-HA_wink:

Hire me and the Camaro will come from the factory with a 6-71 blower poking out the hood. :AH-HA_wink:

Pretty good for the base car... the SS should get one of those double GMC blowers like on those crazy 60s Custom Hot Rods. And the Z/28 should come with two lg. tanks of NOS in the trunk.

those are just minor things. i like the interior but i think its a little tacky. but then if im driving a camaro then why should i worry what the interior looks like.

Yes and those minor things are the only things I think they'll change. On the outside of course...