Build your Dream Sleeper

My Mercury with a Supercharger. You wouldn't even know what hit you. Interestingly enough, Supercharger kits are available for Panther cars. I wouldn't do it, though, because, 1: I don't have the technical know-how, 2: I don't want to decrease my reliability and fuel economy, and, 3: I'm just too darn poor to afford it. Supercharging isn't exactly a "bolt-on"; it requires a switch to a 3.55 or higher rear end gear, more advanced cooling systems for the vital parts, and a host of other upgrades. It could probably be done for less than $10,000 (including the cost of buying an old Cop car, which would have the 3.55 gears), a relative bargain for such a powerful car, but I don't have anywhere near that much money. :(

since when do fieros look fast? :P

[post="6175"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well they are ment to be sporty.

On that note though, I have seen some neat engine swaps. I've seen a turbocharged 3.4 DOHC from the Cutlass in one and I've heard of a Northstar swap.... but I dunno how true it is. It's crazy what you Fiero guys can/will fit in the trunk of your car.

I believe that's another Cutlass Ciera. I think this particular photo predated the Calais.(The FWD model, that is)

[post="6195"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm going to date this photo at 1984. The N-body Calais was release in '85. The grill on the Toronado and 88s suggests 84 or 85 and the fact that there isn't an Omega <last year, '83> tells me '84.

My dream sleeper car would be a 1994 Chevrolet Caprice station wagon with a Corvette engine and beef up the suspension. I would keep it completely stock outside, even keep whitewalls on it and catch the unsuspected at the stoplight. Would be so much fun to see the faces of those cocky guys in their hot coupes as I scream down the road with them in my rearview mirror.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to take something that was just dragged from a barn after a 25 year nap and toss a 600HP powertrain /HD suspension under it.... and not even change the wiper blades; just go out & rip 'performance cars' a new one. The more rust the better.

[post="6427"][/post]

Balthazar has the right idea:

Posted Image

Except a lot more worn, scummy and with faded paint & serious cosmetic flaws. I'd get a rear end out of some RWD car and install a four link coil spring suspension in the back.

+

Posted Image Edited by Sixty8panther

Posted Image

+

Posted Image
(tube frame)

+

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

*Sniff* ...Okay then. Here's my build-a-sleeper:

1995 Grand Am GT
Posted Image

PLUS

MantaPart 300hp 2.5L SC Quad-4
Posted Image

There you go... My instant sleeper. :D

[post="6206"][/post]

Hey BV, I'll bet you'd settle for a stock good-running Quad 4 right about now ;) :D

Anyway,

If it'll fit, I'd like to try putting the Atlas I6 into a first-gen base F-body. I wouldn't mod the engine like crazy...my target would be around 350 or so (up from 291). I just like the thought of smoking someone with a car that you can barely hear running.

Z28: Thief! Thief! :P Remember my Turbo-Panther thread? The Atlas is such a sweet engine, it's tall but no taller than a typical BBC V8 wiht a huge air cleaner.... the super scoop hood might be necessary but it's pretty much a given with most modded 1st gens anyway. Sweet idea.

A 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme EXACTLY like this (colors and all) should have been my first car... then my dad got fed up wiht some minor repair and crushed it. :( - snif -

Posted Image

Perhaps one of these sandwiched between this car's fenders would cheer me up!

Posted Image

Long live the A/G body!

Will the new wave of RWD GM cars be as utterly accessible and universal as these? Will they be able to cover all bases... F/A/G/B, as successfully as the originals?

I am really hoping that this new RWD platform is flexible enough to perform all the duties enthusiasts, the general public, and police and taxi agencies ask of it... because if there is a streak of compromise that hobbles any of the variations, the whole thing, and all my hopes for GM's future, may tank.

I really hope that doesn't happen... because GM's greatest achievements sent power to the rear wheels (pioneering E, and perhaps late G body being notable exceptions.)

... F/A/G/B, as successfully....

[post="65703"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ocnblu:

Ummm... Err, that sounds kind of offensive, you know the initials... and the, uh, nevermind.

:P All joking aside you speak the truth my friend. God Bless you and your clear, level headed synopsis. I feel the exact same way but I have an idiotic and sometimes hostile way of showing it. RWD really is the missing link wiht GM. All else is there: quality, powertrains, and styling is getting better every day.

RWD is the Holy Grail of GMs World in 2005. Edited by Sixty8panther

I think the best kind of sleepers have faded paint, several cosmetic flaws and a few mechanical components that seem to make the car almost non-road worthy. :) A Scummy 1971 Chevrolet Nova is a great start... if it's a FOUR door!

While it is not a put the hugest engine in the ugliest car available I bought my ultimate sleeper car, 1997 Oldsmobile L67 LSS. I have gotton thumbs up from TransAm driver after a little cat and mouse and a kid ricer in a Acura who was ready to pass a slow driver when he looked in his rearview mirror and saw I already had the jump I backed off at 110 which comes fast. He followed me into the convient store where I was after a coffee and with eyes as huge walnuts and face as long as 66 Toro hood, looked at the old ?blue hair? and said AWSOME PASS MAN ! He just kept looking at the Olds and was astounded, confused and I could see the clock of reality ticking in his head. :unsure:

How about a Camaro with all kinds of ricey visual mods and nothing done to enhance the massive power the Stage II 3800 puts down?  Oh, wait, thats the opposite of a sleeper, its retarded. :P

[post="6883"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ha! i remember that. btw, its series II. :P

Ever since I was in high school and they were new, I've thought something like a well-worn early '80s B-body--maybe an Impala in beige or turd brown--would be the perfect basis for a sleeper. Go for the unmarked old cop car look with black steel wheels, but with a Z06 engine, beefed up suspension, steering, and brakes, etc. Or a Delta 88 with 'diesel' badges.. Or an early 90s Lincoln Town Car with the DOHC supercharged '03 Cobra engine, suspension mods, etc.. Or a mid '90s STS or deVille with the new STS-v Northstar... One of the wildest ones I've read about that someone actually built was a mid '70s Ford F150 pickup with a Ferrari V12 under the hood... Edited by moltar

My car's a pretty good sleeper as is. I'd say if you are into sleepers, take an M5, take off all the badges, put on bumpers off a non-///M 5er and different rims and you've got a great sleeper. Another awesome sleeper would be to take an e36 3er, gut the engine, and drop in an LS engine. Even BMW owners can't resist the LS engines. They are a very popular mod, they fit in the engine bay extremely well, they are lighter and much more powerful, reliable, and easier to mod than M/S engines, and doing the swap runs about the price of installing a turbo or supercharger.