Sign in to follow this  
wildcat

Jay Leno's jokes about Ford

Perhaps this belongs in the Lounge section, but since a lot of people watch Jay Leno and The Tonight Show, what he says can carry a lot of weight. He made three jokes about Ford during this evening's monologue, to the effect of:

1. Ford... where quality is job 1, and WalMart is job 2.

2. Ford is laying off 30,000, about 1 out of 4 employees. So if you buy a Ford and it only has 3 wheels on it, you know why.

3. Remember when the Pinto would explode in crashes? Ford is calling that "the good old days."

What part do you think Leno's jokes play in the public's perception of Ford/Detroit automakers?

Well, it can't help! Iaccoca talks about how the media never forgave Ford for the rust problems it had in the '70s, yet all Toyotas and Hondas from the same era literally dissolved.

Jay's just pissed because they had to recall his GT

Obviously you're joking. Leno was quite upfront in how pleased he was with Ford's handling of the GT recall.

He is pandering to his California crowd.....which also enjoys bashing American vehicles.  He is a total kiss ass......which is why I only watch Letterman, and Conan.

you should have seen his debut with mark lanave regaurding the suburban... lol... "so this Suburban will be able to tow 2 of my friends prius when they call me for help because they are broken down?"

Guest YellowJacket894

Jay Leno... That's the guy who, if he had a bobble head doll, his head would bobble less than the doll's, right? I think that's why he has so many cars. So he can just set on the dashboard and say "let's go for a ride" and bobble that big head of his. (I know who he is, just wanted to throw that out there.)

The only part of his show I like is Headlines. Funny $h!, even if its made up or not.

I think it's ridiculous that he'd do this.. especially being a car guy himself.

Anybody know how to contact him?

Oh, and thank whoever is in charge for Conan replacing Leno in the next few years.

I believe that wont happen until 2010, and Leno himself picked Conan as his replacement.

Oh, and thank whoever is in charge for Conan replacing Leno in the next few years.

I hope they don't send Conan to California. I think that would take alot out of his show.

Conan did a show about a year or two ago about his Ford Taurus SHO. He kept saying that he had a green Ford Taurus, but it was cool because it was an SHO.....and sure enough, he had it on the show one day. It was a bit about him taking it all around and getting it appraised. It was too funny.

Conan: Do you know what I call this? (points to his engine)

Other guy: No.

Conan: The Ranch. Want to know why I call it The Ranch?

Other guy: Sure.

Conan: Because that's where 220 horses live.

I still wonder if it was really his. This is like 10 years after he's had the show already. I'm sure he can buy whatever he wants.

Edited by BrewSwillis

Good grief people. He is a comedian, and he is telling jokes.

I think one problem today, is that people read way too much into everything. Some comedians I find funny, and some I don't really like. However, my like, or dislike of them has absolutally nothing to do with their "politics." Frankly, most comedians are VERY liberal........... but I will laugh at them all the same. Who cares, as long as they are funny.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs, if we are no longer able to laugh at ourselves, or poke fun at ourselves.

If Conan takes over for Leno, I will have to find something else to watch. Sorry............ he just looks way too much like the cross between a chicken, and a dead person.

Good grief people. He is a comedian, and he is telling jokes.

I think one problem today, is that people read way too much into everything. Some comedians I find funny, and some I don't really like. However, my like, or dislike of them has absolutally nothing to do with their "politics." Frankly, most comedians are VERY liberal........... but I will laugh at them all the same. Who cares, as long as they are funny.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs, if we are no longer able to laugh at ourselves, or poke fun at ourselves.

If Conan takes over for Leno, I will have to find something else to watch. Sorry............ he just looks way too much like the cross between a chicken, and a dead person.

Making fun of Americans losing ten's of thousands of highly paying middle class jobs......you're right.....that is funny :rolleyes: .......if you're Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, etc.

This would be like poking fun at terrorists blowing up some buildings in New York, a couple days after it happened.....except that was 3000 people who lost their lives, and this is 30,000 people who are going to lose their livelyhood.

I wonder if Hollywood would think it's funny if they were all losing their jobs, because more and more Americans were only watching foreign films.

Making fun of Americans losing ten's of thousands of highly paying middle class jobs......you're right.....that is funny :rolleyes: .......if you're Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, etc.

This would be like poking fun at terrorists blowing up some buildings in New York, a couple days after it happened.....except that was 3000 people who lost their lives, and this is 30,000 people who are going to lose their livelyhood.

I wonder if Hollywood would think it's funny if they were all losing their jobs, because more and more Americans were only watching foreign films.

Umm... he's not laughing at the employees... more like criticizing Ford for firing them.

Oh, c'mon. How many Geo jokes were there? Yugo jokes? Jokes about sissies driving Priuses? Think the Aztek failed because Letterman kept ragging on it?

The humor is a reflection of the car, not vice-versa.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook