NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: GM may euthanize Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon small pickups

65 posts in this topic

Report: GM may euthanize Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon small pickups

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Feb 24th, 2010 at 5:20PM

The future of the small pickup truck market in the United States doesn't look good. A new global Ford Ranger is in the works, though we have good reason to doubt that will replace the model currently available in North America. For its part, Chrysler has plans to nix the Dodge Dakota next year, and new reports suggest that the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon twins may have their plugs pulled, as well.

In speaking with General Motors vice chairmain Bob Lutz, PickupTrucks.com asked about plans to kill off the two models, with Lutz responding, "It's uncertain at this point...They may well [go away]."

GM has not announced any official plans to update or kill off the Colorado and Canyon, but we won't be surprised if these two dated models meet that Great Car Crusher in the sky over the next couple of years.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/24/report-gm-may-euthanize-chevy-colorado-gmc-canyon-small-pickups/

That's a real shame. I'd want a small pickup over large pickup. i just wish there were more good small trucks to choose from. It also means Detroit is essentially giving the small truck market over to Toyota and Nissan.

That's a real shame. I'd want a small pickup over large pickup. i just wish there were more good small trucks to choose from. It also means Detroit is essentially giving the small truck market over to Toyota and Nissan.

Kind of like they did w/ minivans (except for Chrysler). Gave up..

Shame to see them give up on the market, granted I wouldn't call a re-badged Isuzu a valiant attempt to begin with.

With full-sizers getting just as good if not better mileage than the small trucks, and the price difference being negligible between them in a lot of cases I can see why this is a slowing market.

They need to kill the present trucks but they should not abandon the market. Just because you offer crap does not mean there is not a market for a small truck.

If they had a better truck I would have bought one.

Ford has done well with a very old Ranger and it looks like they have plans for a new one soon.

I have owned and driven GM trucks for 20 years and as of now I just could not bring myself to by a Colorado. I also have another 5-6 years with a GMC Sprint SP. If I need a truck now I borrow the inlaws new Silverodo when some thing will not fit the HHR. So far only my new Tool Box is the only thing that did not fit.

The key is I hate the big trucks for daily driving. I know they discount them so much it is crazy. But if Ford can do it why can't Chevy offer a small truck.

Hell Even VW now builds a small pick up and it may yet come here.

Edited by hyperv6

Bad move, but you can kind of see it coming when you scour dealer lots for Colorados and find none.

GM needs to play in this market. Not everyone wants a full-sizer. The current Colorado can be salvaged with a new interior and some new engine choices. I actually think the small exterior changes they've done (new wheels, new color-keyed moldings/wheel flares) have made it look quite nice. Dump the Atlas I4 for the 2.4L DI from the Equinox and dump the I5 for the 3.0 or 3.6 DI, and keep the V8.

Hell Even VW now builds a small pick up and it may yet come here.

Vee Dub was saying they'd have to sell so many units to make a profit that it would not be worthwhile to debut the Amarok in North America. However, if GM and Ford leave the market, then maybe the little turbo diesel truck could make it here after all, and I'd be very happy to see that happen.

There are no outstanding compact pickups on the market, the company that builds one first will benefit greatly.

That company ought to be GM.

It would be a shame if the trucks were any good.

Colorado and Canyon are good - they just aren't great.

But the competition flat out stinks!

Ranger is beyond ancient, Tacomas break in half, Dakota got hit with the ugly stick...

Someone needs to build an outstanding compact truck ASAP.

Not like it matters to me, as the only new small truck I'd consider is the Frontier.

Which isn't even a player in the market...

Somebody needs to step up.

Yeah, the Frontier is at the top of the game, easily. Might not be the biggest seller. but it is the best in class, which is a shame, because it's still pretty big.

I let my feelings on the matter be known over at Autoblog for those that don't know me.

I will own a 2010 Colorado sometime this year and I am damn sure it will serve me as well or better than the other 6 GM compact pickups I've owned.

If GM were out of the compact truck market right now, I'd have to consider another GMT900, simply because the other compact trucks post horrible fuel mileage ratings.

By refusing to update their compact trucks, GM and Ford have set forth a self-fulfilling prophecy. They have sacrificed the compact truck customer to the altar of the high-profit, gas-guzzling fullsize truck. NOT GOOD for customers who prefer a smaller truck for a myriad reasons.

The Frontier flat-out owns every non-fullsize truck on the market. Its probably even a better truck than the Titan.

The Frontier flat-out owns every non-fullsize truck on the market. Its probably even a better truck than the Titan.

Just to clarify, the only reason I said it was not a player in the market was because of lackluster sales.

In other words it has been an "also ran" in a pretty lame field.

Big lie. Horrendous gas mileage makes it horribly redundant. I mean really. 14/19 for a V6/automatic 4WD? That's not compact truck mileage, that's worse than GMT900 5.3L 4X4 mileage, son.

Edited by ocnblu

By refusing to update their compact trucks, GM and Ford have set forth a self-fulfilling prophecy. They have sacrificed the compact truck customer to the altar of the high-profit, gas-guzzling fullsize truck. NOT GOOD for customers who prefer a smaller truck for a myriad reasons.

Yes, absolutely.

When was the last time you saw an ad for any of these trucks?

It's an ignored segment, and in my book that means opportunity.

Just a new interior (although the current one is fine for me), DI on the Atlas engines, and six-speed manual and automatic transmissions are all the GMT355 really needs to bring it up to date. Maybe a new front clip to bring it in line with the GMT900 look.

On comflict in the Middle East will spike prices hard and for a long time. It is not a matter of if but when. Iran is going to force the hand of others in time.

Those like VW and Ford who will have a small truck in their inventory could bring it here in short order. GM on the other hand could get caught short with only the old small trucks in S America.

I agree All the small trucks are crap and the one to make a good one with great mileage will reap the reward. The is no reason GM could not do a small light truck with a Ecotec.

The oil issues in the 70's brought these trucks to our shores and the oil issues will bring this type vehicle back again.

I am far from the only one who wanted to buy a Colorado but just could not bring myself to buy somthing with that ugly of a body and that cheap of an interior for that kind of price.

Few people buy small trucks now as what choices do they really have? The Toyota is about all there is and it will rust in half in 8 years.

When was the last time you saw an ad for any of these trucks?

It's an ignored segment, and in my book that means opportunity.

Amen!

I would look closely at the VW small truck in regular cab, diesel 4X4 manual transmission configuration.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room