Irritating slang

Well, seeing how an internet search for "skull caps" yeilded this:

Posted Image

I guess they are called skull caps in the US. I've never heard that expression attached to those hats before though - the only thing that comes to mind for me when you say "skull cap" is the yamulka. Regional dialects do exist, eh?

Skull caps? Those aren't skull caps, that's a tank top! :lol:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, seeing how an internet search for "skull caps" yeilded this:

Posted Image

I guess they are called skull caps in the US. I've never heard that expression attached to those hats before though - the only thing that comes to mind for me when you say "skull cap" is the yamulka. Regional dialects do exist, eh?

you know...I'm looking at that picture and I don't see any skull caps :P

Ona nother note...I personally have never heard the term "skull cap" used...or maybe I have...I don't know. I'm more familiar with the term "beanie".

Oh what is also annoying is when girls use "like" for every other freakin word they say. My sister does it really bad sometimes. I've had to deal with girls in class who do it. It is so annoying. I will usually start counting on my fingers or call each number outloud of how many times they say it.

what about when people say "and what not" as a filler in their dialouge....

I want to do an interview one day on TV where I just say "you know, you know!" haha!

"Whatnot" is a real word. It means something along the lines of "et cetera."

Oh what is also annoying is when girls use "like" for every other freakin word they say. My sister does it really bad sometimes. I've had to deal with girls in class who do it. It is so annoying. I will usually start counting on my fingers or call each number outloud of how many times they say it.

Studies have found that the word 'like' is used as a filler because younger, less mature people, typically teanagers, are uncomfortable with breaks in conversation.

Crunk.

what the hell does that mean, anyway?!

I also can't stand it when white boys try to talk in ebonics. I hate it even more when white boys try to pose and be thugs and $h!--yeah that makes you look real cool.

Also on a side note, everytime I see a new rapper come along making some ugly-ass scowl on the cover of their new CD, it makes me wanna knock them out--hey, the whole of their face is all scrunced into one spot, why not take a shot.

I think I just hate rap. It makes no sense.

Or maybe I'm just a very angry person.

Nucular =/= Nuclear

Libary =/= Library

Amblance =/= Ambulance

And I f'in hate it when people say "It's broke."  Broken!

Oh yeah, and "that's off da hook!"

God, I hate that too. I also hear broked, such as "I broked in my new car today".

And "off da hook"is so out, it's now either "off da hizzle fo' shizzle" or "off da chain"

this may only be a midwestern thing but something i really hate is when people say WARSH instead of WASH or when people say aint instead of wont or not. ex. "I AINT GONNA DO THAT" like i said you might only be familiar with these if you are from the midwest because i dont think i have heard them used up north or east

I do not like Ebonics.  At all.

Southern accents are cool...when they're calling Dr. Laura. Great stuff to listen to.

Ebonics are even cooler. Ebonics is all about contractions and shortcuts.

Ama = I am or I am going to

such as in

"Ama kick yo' ass."

"Where you stay at?"

means

"Where do you live?"

Any verb ending in "ing"

"Ooh, she be actin' crazy"

Anything ending in "ool"

"She in schoo"

"Oh, he so coo"

"He be actin' a foo"

Best phrase of them all - 2 black girls by the candy machine between freshman and sophomore year in college (class taken at a CSU campus, sure as hell not at my college). All I heard was:

"I know he fine, but you have a man...and he black." And you gotta put the inflection to it, if you know what I mean. Evidently one of them was stuck on some non-black dude. I still laugh thinking about it.

Ebonics is obnoxious in terms of how incorrect it is, but all of those black sitcoms couldn't fly without them.

Edited by trinacriabob

this may only be a midwestern thing but something i really hate is when people say WARSH instead of WASH or when people say aint instead of wont or not. ex. "I AINT GONNA DO THAT" like i said you might only be familiar with these if you are from the midwest because i dont think i have heard them used up north or east

I think "ain't" is a nationwide thing and I ain't gonna lie, ama regular user of "ain't". :P

Right, but it is saying a correct pronunciation of the exact word "nuclear" can be "nucular".

Yeah, that's my point. It doesn't make sense unless you apply the same mispronounciation allowance to the root word. Nucleus is the root word of Nuclear. If more people understood basic English, then people wouldn't make asses out of themselves so frequently and abundantly they have to make idiotic changes like that.

If more people understood basic English, then people wouldn't make asses out of themselves so frequently and abundantly they have to make idiotic changes like that.

C'mon, Mr. Admin, you know the rules. No political speech in the lounge. :AH-HA_wink:

I heard 'warsh' a lot in Eastern Ohio....I think it's a general Appalachia thing... same with 'crick' for 'creek' and 'holler' for 'hollow'....

you know...I'm looking at that picture and I don't see any skull caps :P

Ona nother note...I personally have never heard the term "skull cap" used...or maybe I have...I don't know. I'm more familiar with the term "beanie".

I call such a hat a 'toque'. I wear one in the winter, since I shave my head and it gets cold...

Edited by moltar

I hate when people pronounce "roof" as "rough".

I think that the "oo" is not the same one as "groove." So, it is more "uh" like "ruhf" but not "rough" (is that New Yorkese, I don't know).

I HATE rediculously sized breasts.

Yeah, but those aren't ridiculously sized. :)

My pet peeve? The horrendously overused adjective "awesome". Of course, that's my daughter's way of describing almost everything.

Edited by NeonLX

Fake breasts are horrible though there are good reasons why a woman should get them (like loosing them to breast cancer). If you have to, just make sure they fit your frame. Otherwise, you'll look better without them.

No way Jose. I hate it when Vipey says that to me when I ask him for some roughin lovin. It makes me sad. But not too sad. I expect it out of you immature kids here. You people need to get lives. Like me.

If you like rough loving why did you order the leather seats in yo' Malipoo? You afriad of diaper rash?

See, we hillbillys have two languages and have no problems understanding any form of the English dialect even street rap, in fact thats easy.

I use ruf and roof, sometimes but rarely my Malamutes go ruf

I live on ------ Hollow, we call it Hollow because when we talk about the Holler, its one area, then we all know exactly where. I use aint all the time, I also dont button my top button. :lol:

I have a crick about 30 ft from where Im sitting. Sometimes its a crick, sometimes its a creek, sometimes its a stream and sometimes its a "totally" out of control raging maniac, know what I mean ? If Im going down there to move rocks or take the dogs for a drink its "the crick" our Dutch ancestors called them "kills" and many bordering the Hudson are named as such.

"Pop" is a kind of music to me but I dont care if other areas use it.until they try to tell me what soda is and what it isnt......I drink milk anyhow.

If someone says "and what not" its because there are a few other items they could also mention but arent not going to or the words have excaped them.

I use "its broke" all the time, I have had lots of experience with breakage and when its broke its broke and sometimes that can lead to someone becoming broke. I probably only use broken 2% of the time. We have a dog that severely broke his leg and he still limps..we call him a "broken man", then he holds his paw up to show just how broken he is.

I never used that "my bad" term, something about me and bad in the same sentence just wouldnt do, my mistake or my fault works.

Heres one that has always drove me crazy....schedule....I was 19 years old when I heard "shedyul" and I cant explain why I wanted to slap the person in the face and ask them to try to say it again. :lol: I must confess now looking at the word in dictionary and examining it I pronounce an extra syllable "skedual".

I was self employed from the time I was 23 and in conservation with a Uncle one time he said "Oh, your an entrepreneur" and I said "I have no idea what the hell that is but I aint one of them" :lol:

I live on  ------ Hollow, we call it Hollow because when we talk about the Holler, its one area, then we all know exactly where.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. My mom's family is terrible for using the phrase "over yonder" for saying anywhere that someone has gone. Yet oddly enough, "Up Yonder" is a specific place.

I used to be annoyed by weird dialect differences, but now I just find them more interesting than anything. It's fun to see how words differ from region to region.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean.  My mom's family is terrible for using the phrase "over yonder" for saying anywhere that someone has gone.  Yet oddly enough, "Up Yonder" is a specific place.

I used to be annoyed by weird dialect differences, but now I just find them more interesting than anything.  It's fun to see how words differ from region to region.

We dont use yonder very often, its used but not like some areas. The Hollar around here is used too much as an insult, sometimes.

Interesting is the best attitude. I find all the dialects or phrasing from England real interesting too.

Some Southernisms can be irritating. Having lived in Atlanta for 2 years, some of the locals have some good ones:

Say you needed some info. They might respond:

"You might could call."

How about "you could call" or "you might call"

At a gas station trying to figure out the different self service buttons:

"Mash that button over there."

Awful. Well bred Southerners don't speak this way, though.

Ahh, the joys of being straight . . .

Regarding Miss T&A (with no visible cottage cheese anywhere), it would be a joy if you could ascertain you would be "in the pink" with some certainty. I think she could "cherry pick" (based on her physical attributes, though most likely not on her intellectual ones) meaning you would have to analyze how you "stack up."

Edited by trinacriabob

Some Southernisms can be irritating.  Having lived in Atlanta for 2 years, some of the locals have some good ones:

Say you needed some info.  They might respond:

"You might could call."

How about "you could call" or "you might call"

At a gas station trying to figure out the different self service buttons:

"Mash that button over there."

Heh, I've been guilty of both. I never even noticed "might could" until I got to college and my friends pointed it out.

Southern accents are actually closer to Old and Middle English than other accents in America. That shouldn't really come as a surprise, since like most other things, the evolution of language has been slower here. And last semester, in my English class, we had to read Chaucer, in the original Middle English, and our professor insisted that we use the proper pronunciation. For me, it was a piece of cake, because a lot of the weird pronunciations that were used in Middle English were ones I already used.