Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Irritating slang

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it is a CREEK.  "CRIK" is not a word, and "CRICK" is a small, often painful muscle spasm typically found in the lower back.

It's crEEk...as in Walnut Creek (where I wish I lived)

Crick is Hick.

Get over it.

It's crEEk...as in Walnut Creek (where I wish I lived)

Crick is Hick.

Get over it.

Yes...I used to live near Walnut Creek, Ohio, and when people would pronounce it Walnut Crick, I assumed they were hicks or West Virginia transplants (which there were a lot of in Eastern Ohio).

Now Walnut Creek, Ca is a very nice place...my company's CEO lives there.

oic, lol

anyways i dont know if this is considered slang but i sure cant understand it, i find it annoying when im tlaking to people and there about to go they go mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbye, just say bye or good bye, lol

There needs to be more care taken around here before labels are applied to people. Just because I say "creek" doesn't make me better than a person who says "crick", nor does it guarantee I've had more education.

There needs to be more care taken around here before labels are applied to people.  Just because I say "creek" doesn't make me better than a person who says "crick", nor does it guarantee I've had more education.

No, but it does guarantee that you are not butchering the English language. :AH-HA_wink: Edited by Croc

yea it sounded like some people thought i was a hillbilly or there better than me , lol cause i say crick instead of creek, well geuss what your not!! lol

Ocn's a meathead.

Off topic, but what the hell, here's a little trick I learned in my Latin 2 class. If you ever find yourself reading something historical, change the name of the antagonist to Meathead. It makes it infinitely more fun, especially if the reading is really dry.

yea it sounded like some people thought i was a hillbilly or there better than me , lol cause i say crick instead of creek, well geuss what your not!! lol

Nope...I agree if America didn't have these regional verbal idiosyncrasies it would be VERY boring. And we wouldn't be able to laugh at that one woman..."EVERYTHING'S DORKSIDED!!"

No, but it does guarantee that you are not butchering the English language. :AH-HA_wink:

I find it funny that people complain about butchering the English language, when English itself is a butchered mix of French and Germanic languages. And those were butcheries of other languages, which were butcheries of other languages, and so on until the beginning of history.

I find it funny that people complain about butchering the English language, when English itself is a butchered mix of French and Germanic languages.  And those were butcheries of other languages, which were butcheries of other languages, and so on until the beginning of history.

Heh, I was being facetious. American English is such a hodge-podge it bears little resemblence to British English...and that just gives it more character. Edited by Croc

speaking of people who dont like people butchering languages one time i was in english class and we had a sub, and we do this daily oral language thing and when were done wee suppose to say "done!" well the sub is like 70 years old and uses old english still and starts yelling/lecturing at us that your are not "done" you are finsished, meat is done, work is finsished and then she starts moaning to herself how litttle we know and how the english language is detiorating, lol, i found it hilarious

Edited by Chicken4U

That's the beauty of English... it's not a dead language like Latin. It's alive and changing all the time. I don't see how it's fair to use the phrase "butchering the English language" when referring to dialects. The dialect is perfectly normal, correct, and understandable by others in the same region. Why should an uppity outsider judge the locals?

:huh:

That's the beauty of English... it's not a dead language like Latin.  It's alive and changing all the time.  I don't see how it's fair to use the phrase "butchering the English language" when referring to dialects.  The dialect is perfectly normal, correct, and understandable by others in the same region.  Why should an uppity outsider judge the locals?

:huh:

...because this "uppity outsider" was just being facetious :rolleyes:

Seriously, dispense with the namecalling. STAT! I don't appreciate it and find it quite immature.

Edited by Croc

That's the beauty of English... it's not a dead language like Latin. 

Latin ain't dead! It's just waiting for a comeback!

...because this "uppity outsider" was just being facetious :rolleyes:

Seriously, dispense with the namecalling.  STAT!  I don't appreciate it and find it quite immature.

I don't think that was aimed at you . . . .

when English itself is a butchered mix of French and Germanic languages. 

I thought it was a mixture of Latin roots (all the romance languages) and Teutonic roots (the German you refer to).

German can be a stretch. Their words are so God damn long. For example, in English we say "auditor." In German, they say "wirtschartsprufer" (can't forget the 2 dots on top of the u). Yikes.

So, instead I made it a point to learn all of the Latin rooted languages (except Romanian) since I already spoke one of them as a child. The similarities and differences are fascinating...at least to me.

No one has yet commented on:

"He's good people."

"She's good people."

That's nails on the chalkboard stuff to me.

I thought it was a mixture of Latin roots (all the romance languages) and Teutonic roots (the German you refer to).

Yeah, that's true. But I think the biggest influence was from French. When the Normans took over, they brought a lot of French words with them.

Yeah, that's true.  But I think the biggest influence was from French.  When the Normans took over, they brought a lot of French words with them.

I read a really good book a while back on the origins of the English language and how US and British English have evolved over the last 300+ years...really fascinating.

I read a really good book a while back on the origins of the English language and how US and British English have evolved over the last 300+ years...really fascinating.

Title?

With the increasing hispanic influence on American English, I foresee many more differences in the near future. Just think, someday, our descendants could all be speaking Spanglish.

Title?

With the increasing hispanic influence on American English, I foresee many more differences in the near future.  Just think, someday, our descendants could all be speaking Spanglish.

Bill Bryson's 'The Mother Tongue'.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spanish an official second language in many states eventually.

Edited by moltar

Hmm.

As far as I know Ebonics (Ebony+Phonics) was a name given to a proposed "alternative" to teaching English in predominantly black urban centers which tried to legitimize common street slang. It was a stupid idea. If I were black the proposal would have deeply offended me as it implies that urban blacks are incapable of learning standard english.

Exactly. But then again this is not the first such dumb idea to come out of the 1990s.

CAL: In light of the recent wide-ranging discussion about Ebonics, or African American Vernacular English (AAVE), we have prepared a small collection of information on the use of dialects in U.S. society.

My brain just started to hemorage as I read that. AAVE? Give me a f@#king break. Here's a few new Acronyms for ya:

GAFL: Get a F***ing Life

YHWTMFTOYH: You have way too much free time on your hands

TRFYOA: Take Responsibility for your own actions

SMBADG: Stupidity must be a dominant gene

Some that get on my nerves quite a bit:

-Bunnyhug (somewhat local name for hooded sweatshirt) - this <i>really</i> irritates me! When I came back here, I referred to a hooded sweatshirt as simply a sweatshirt or sweater. Absolutely no one I talked to called it by that name and most refer to it as a bunnyhug, which sounds incredibly childish to me. I have since come to a compromised to call it a hoodie mainly because some people around here actually use the term.

-When people call themselves _-units.

-When like-minded people compliment something or someone as being "ghetto" or "gangsta."

Many more exist, but I prefer to keep my blood from boiling excessively.

I think it's kinda dumb when people use the word "gay" as an adjective to describe things like circumstances, or inanimate objects.

"It's so gay that I have to go over to my mom's house tonight."

"My car is so gay. I had to jump start it again last night!"

WTF? Just shuuuuddddduuuuuppp! <_<

you guys screwed that word gay all up........now its been totally redefined ..........dang hicks :) Actually Ive been thinking about that again. I just heard some song in some old Turner classics musical where they were all dancing around on stage and singing and the word gay was predominate. I remember my grandmother used gay in its origionality all the time, she grew up in Jersey during the roarin twentys and remembered it well, it was her "glory days"..... you know when they all had a gay ol time. :AH-HA_wink:

Is it alright that I use that "ol" ? Or was I butchering Webster ?

Did Webster live in Appalacha ? Just wondering because I know we have crics, I's seen dem, wit me own eyes, I did.

Im writin me a song, Ill be namin it Hics have crics

I figure Im decendent of Celts and Romans and I can do what ever I damn well please with English.

So what was that language the Irish had ? What did that resemble ? Then the Welch have a dialect and the Scotch.

Just thought of another one.

I hate it when people call me "buddy."

My company has a contractor client who always ends a phone call or meeting with this term. Today, his project manager ended a phone call with this term.

First, I think it's kind of unprofessional in the work setting. Second, I am not his buddy, nor do I want to be.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's kinda dumb when people use the word "gay" as an adjective to describe things like circumstances, or inanimate objects.

"It's so gay that I have to go over to my mom's house tonight."

"My car is so gay.  I had to jump start it again last night!"

WTF?  Just shuuuuddddduuuuuppp! <_<

Yes, something dumb that the kiddies say... I think when was a teenager, we used the word 'lame' in the same sense...