A friend asked me this question

Camino LS6

Defunct Vehicles and brands:

Oldsmobile as a "boutique brand". They would be sold through Chevrolet dealers. They were in the past anyway.

Oldsmobile would consist of a few models:

Ninety Eight: fullsized contemporary traditional fullsized luxury sedan( Buick and Chevrolet do not have any)

Toronado: personal luxury coupe low volume shares parts with Ninety Eight( think 1971-1976 Oldsmobile) ( Buick and Chevrolet do not have any)

Cutlass: convertible/coupe for the masses. The platform would borrow from existing GM pats bin with unique styling and parts. ( Buick and Chevrolet do not have any.)

Custom Cruiser: Affordable rear drive sport wagon with interior room and space. A Possible Holden basis.

No import style. All "American" styling with emphasis on technology and innovation and comfort and style. New GM technologies will be applied and tested here. a mid ranged family of vehicles with a touch of luxury with style and technology.

These cars could possibly use or share parts with Holden.

Rear drive and front wheel drive. It could go either way.

Pontiac: All performance brand sold through Buick GMC dealers. It will be a "boutique brand" as well.

Bonneville: fullsized rear drive performance sedan. ( Chevrolet does not have any.)

Grand Prix: midsized performance coupe and sedan ( Chevrolet or Buick do not have any)

GTO: speciality performance coupe

Firebird: see Camaro and strip the body and use the platform

The Pontiacs would be midsized to fullsized and smaller for GTO and Firebird. They would not have bench seats, digital gauges or items you would find on traditional American luxury cars( Oldsmobile will). No crossovers, suv's or the like. It takes GM performance to the max( i.e. cheaper than a Cadillac)

ALL REAR DRIVE.......

Buick is now international near luxury and headed that way.

Chevrolet is the volume leader.

Olds and Pontiac can hit the spot where the other two do not.

Ford:

Thunderbird: Think mid 1960's T-Bird with all the innovation

Cougar: Could go either way. The luxury coupe or the performance coupe.

Lincoln Mark Series: The Toronado needs a competitor and America does not have any luxury coupes.

Lincoln Town Car: revisioned for the market today.

Chrysler:

Imperial: A large contemporary luxury sedan. Bigger than a 300 in the inside and outside with luxury you do not not expect in its price class.

Cordoba: a personal luxury coupe from Chrysler.

Chrysler Imperial, but not the hideous concept they had a few years ago.... Maybe even the brand as a whole, above Chrysler

Continental, but you'd have to go back to the 60's for the concept... wouldn't want some Fox body or Taurus body re-do. Should be the crown of the Lincoln line and compete with the S-class and rumored baby Roller. Should shun 7-series "handling prowes" as beneath it.

Eagle Talon. I wanted one of these so bad as a teenager. My dream cars in highschool were Cutlass Supreme Convertible or Eagle Talon. I know the Talon was just an Eclipse rebadge, but there were enough styling differences that in my eye Eagle just did better.

Dodge Neon. I know they were never class leading, but Dodge sold a crapload of these things and it helped to keep Chrysler solvent. If there was one single mistake that really sealed Chrysler's fate, it was the canceling of the Neon and replacing it with the bull dog ugly Caliber. I'd like to see Chrysler solvent again, so a new Neon would be a good start.

Toyota Supra, because competition for the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger is a good thing.

Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT, ditto above.

Ram Charger, because I'd like to stay on Camino's good side after recommending two FWDers and two foreign cars.

Lincoln Towncar, It's not dead yet, but might as well be. Remake it as a modern car... and it could be used as the short wheel base version of the Continental mentioned above.

A modern RWD Chrysler Cordoba in coupe/convertible form to replace the Sebring 2dr, based off the LX platform.

Same idea as the Cougar and Thunderbird I mentioned earlier, or for GM, a modern Monte Carlo off Zeta. I know the personal lux 2dr coupe market is long dead, but not everything has to be a FWD 4dr...

The Thunderbird...based on a Mazda MX-5. I think that would be fitting to the original T-Bird and have a great appeal in Ford's lineup too.

Also I would like to see the Prowler brought back as an electric sports car (maybe a Tesla base), an open wheel version same as the Plymouth version, it could be a Chrysler this time around.

With GM ...the GTO & Grand Prix. Both as RWD 2 door coupes; Chevy GP & Buick GTO this time, the names are solid and both would compliment the lineups of these brands IMO.

:rolleyes:

I knew you guys wouldn't be able to resist throwing some GM stuff into the mix!

Interesting choices so far.

It took me a while to pick just one (following the non-GM rule).

I chose the International Scout. I'd really like to see something like that again, especially the Terra pickup version.

Another one popped into my head immediately: The Plymouth 'Cuda

And Drew, interesting choice you made to "pacify" me. :smilewide:

Daves1988k5blazer_RR.jpg

It would have beren so cool if GM would have followed through with this:

k5_1.jpg

Actually, the 2dr SUV in general could stand to make a comeback. Not everyone wants a mommy mobile 4dr.

Scratch that - 2drs in genreral need to make a comeback.

Which one?

Don't matter... several of them. Either a propeller-era one or a Hawk. Avanti is nice, but its already hung around enough.

Studebaker was a decent, everyman's car. They had several styling cues that I feel would help shake up the current staid, automotive landscape. Studebaker was many times ahead of the curve back in the day.

Interestingly, enough Wiki claims someone is already working on this return...

There is a web site for Studebaker Motor Company that claims to hold the rights to manufacture future vehicles using the name "Studebaker" (obtained after the name had reverted back to the public domain). This "newer" Studebaker Motor Company plans to revive the automotive company by producing a new line of vehicles (also scooters and motor cycles). The company is currently in the planning and prefunding stages. However, the website has not been updated since June 2008.

Of course, I like the idea of the 'Cuda coming back... as I preferred the 'Cuda to the Challenger. I even like the idea that AMC was coming back, even though it was an Aprils Fools magazine article. Of course, all this IP is owned by Chrysler and their potentially sinking ship, so I don't hold out much hope... just like I don't hold out hope that GM will produce anything in the future I would want to buy new.

I'd like to see some of the independants return, because they had their own approaches & executions- the same thing today might really freshen up modern cars. Hudson, Studebaker, and DeSoto (not an independant, but stills fits the criteria). And of course Tucker... tho this one is so 'exposed' at this point, I'd fear the same reaction would occur as it did for the '04 GTO- shy of expectations.

Lincoln LS (name doesn't matter, just midsize RWD)

Mark IX

Continental flagship

Cougar midsize RWD/AWD sport coupe

Capri compact FWD/AWD sport coupe

A reborn Crown Vic/Galaxie

Thunderbird

Imperial

LeBaron

Magnum

Dart (as a small Dodge)

I'd like to see Mercury pander less to female customers and become more of an entry level lux brand like Buick

Edited by mustang84

Other than (obviously) a nice 1987 Monte Carlo LS ans SS revival...

-Ford Thunderbird

-Mercury Cougar

-Chrysler LeBaron

I might be fixated on a certain body style here, but I always thought these coupes

(at least through the late 80s and into the 1990s)had attractive proportions.

A true Eclipse GSX

Eagle Talon

Stealth / 3000GT, both true to their roots

Supra

S2000

Thunderbird (I like the idea of making it a true Corvette competitor once again)

I'd say a Gran Torino, but I like the Taurus a lot and that's exactly what the Gran Torino would be.

Lincoln LS (name doesn't matter, just midsize RWD)

If only they'd have done this car even more right from the start & had marketing to back it up, it would have been great to see it take on even a big chunk of what the CTS set out to. But it just goes to show you how much even polarizing vs. classy but subdued styling can do. The LS remains an impressive car, sadly now only used.

Modernized Saturn S-Series, duh. :)

Keep:

- low weight (2500lb or under)

- polymer panels

- fuel efficient (at least 35mpg highway, should be able to do better than 40mpg highway with drivetrain updates and low weight)

- mechanically simple (no hybrid or other convoluted system)

- manual option

- sedan, wagon

- two drivetrain options: one focused on mpg, other on very peppy performance while still very good mpg

- good suspension design

Update:

- interior/exterior design/quality

- drivetrain update (DI, VVT)

- quad coupe

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the Deloreon. It's success would depend on the quality of the execution, but if they make it as cool as it ever seemed to be in Back to the Future, it'd be a winner.

Some people are already trying to reproduce the DeLorean. Of course, the DeLorean was not that great of a car, overall.

Some people are already trying to reproduce the DeLorean. Of course, the DeLorean was not that great of a car, overall.

Exactly my point--to be a success you'd have to make it as cool as it seemed to be in Back to the Future, not as it actually was back in the day.

Ford should revisit the concept behind the original '66 Bronco: a tough, inexpensive, all season, all terrain, four-wheel drive, simply equipped two-door SUV. Not a crossover in any sense, just a traditional two-door SUV. And to keep costs down, it could be built alongside the Ranger like the old (but seriously inferior) Bronco II. I can see a real market for such a trucklet and since IH won't be building Scouts again anytime soon, Ford should be the automaker at which the idea re-manifests itself.

Strictly "emotion-based" answers are, of course: Olds Cutlass and Pontiac Firebird.