Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

MW 2001: Oldsmobile Aurora Road Test

12 posts in this topic

The Aurora was a good car, way better than any of the Pontiacs, Buicks, or Chryslers of the time. Or the Lincoln Continental. Olds was GM's best chance at an import fighter, but they failed (or GM killed them too soon), Saturn failed, now it seems to be Buick's turn. Buick last year only sold 102,000 cars, Olds sold 260,000 in 2001.

Buick last year only sold 102,000 cars

Those are US or NA sales, correct? Remember it is the Chinese sales that kept/keep the brand alive in for you in US...

Those are US or NA sales, correct? Remember it is the Chinese sales that kept/keep the brand alive in for you in US...

So sell them in China and not here. The Buicks in China are mostly Daewoos and Holdens anyway. And 10 years ago, how big were Buicks in China? They could have put Olds or Chevy over there instead and done just as well.

But back to the Aurora, that was GM's best looking car of the 90s and early 2000s. The way the sunlight reflects of the chrome wheels as the car drives is majestic.

smk, Buick has a long history in China, going back to at least the 1930's. They were familiar with the brand. That is a major reason why GM's modern push into China was with Buick.

I never thought I'd say this but I agree with SMK, Olds should have been kept(Dads rolling in his grave) not Buick.

Well except for this part

"So sell them in China and not here. The Buicks in China are mostly Daewoos and Holdens anyway. And 10 years ago, how big were Buicks in China? They could have put Olds or Chevy over there instead and done just as well."

China wants Buick for tradition and that's the Chinese way. they may have bought other GM makes but Buick has tradition as they were sold before the revolution(not Chevys :AH-HA:) I believe as knock down kits also they were our allies during WWII and tradition helps there also even in the current political climate.

Chevy-Olds-Cadillac would have been a good 3-tier line up. But instead they killed Oldsmobile to pump money into Saturn, Hummer and Saab? What a waste that was, and Pontiac became a fleet brand that they didn't care about. Look at the 2006 Buick lineup of LaCrosse, Lucerne, Terezza, Rainier; it was the same as the 2001 Olds lineup of Intrigue, Aurora, Silhouette, and Bravada. Buick was years behind Olds, and their image is worse. If Olds got all the money that went into Buick, Saturn, Hummer and Saab from 2002-2008 Olds could have been very strong, although I think bankruptcy would have still occurred.

I'd still like to own an Aurora someday.

Why not now? They are probably the best used car value of all time. Always were even since Olds went out of business.

Well, I already have a pride and joy that I wouldn't trade for any car, (of course I'm not opposed to adding to the fleet), but mainly because I have other things besides another car to worry about money wise.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0