Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Report: Cadillac Converj production program killed

28 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Hybrid, Cadillac, Electric, Luxury

cadillacconverjdd_09_opt.jpg
2009 Cadillac Converj Concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

Just when it seemed like the gorgeous Cadillac Converj extended-range electric vehicle (ER-EV) was going to make it to production, it now appears that the program might be dead. Strictly speaking, although General Motors executives had indicated that the Volt-based coupe would be produced, it had never officially been announced as a production program.

Nonetheless, Bloomberg is reporting that the program has been canceled for business reasons. Apparently, Cadillac came to the conclusion that even as a Cadillac, the car couldn't be profitable with the level of amenities that customers would expect. The extra equipment would apparently have cut the electric range to only 20 miles, defeating some of the purpose of an ER-EV and its ability to cover most driver's needs without using gas. Given the slow sales high-end hybrids like the Escalade and Lexus LS600h, this may be the right move for GM.

According to Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell, there is "Nothing to be announced" and the program was "not to a point in which development would be occurring in earnest in any case." Caldwell goes on to say "There can naturally be a lot of careful review over an idea as big and ambitious as this. And that can go back-and-forth. Vehicle plans can be revised numerous times before reaching production, or being declined."

Instead of the Converj, Cadillac will reportedly focus on less expensive plug-in hybrids like the XTS concept that was shown in Detroit.

[source: Bloomberg]

Report: Cadillac Converj production program killed originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 02 Mar 2010 08:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=3V4Gm3JSXPc:ie0qkrt4WLE:wF9xT autoblog?i=3V4Gm3JSXPc:ie0qkrt4WLE:V_sGL
3V4Gm3JSXPc

View the full article

Somewhat disappointing... now build an Alpha car that looks just like the concept. That car looks HOT.

Good. I hope they keep the styling for something else though.

They need to use this styling on something. Perhaps a stretched version of this look for a new Sigma based El Dorado?!?!---That could be BEAUTIFUL!!

Yet another beautiful GM design that goes up in smoke.

This is the first electric car that I wouldn't be ashamed to drive.

Somewhat disappointing... now build an Alpha car that looks just like the concept. That car looks HOT.

Yeah, maybe this styling w/ some changes can be used for the ATS coupe.

I am glad this car isn't coming, but I suspect GM killed to just for cost cutting reasons, not because they didn't think it fit Cadillac's image (or image they are aiming for). Cadillac has 2 front wheel drive cars too many right now, no need for another. What worries me, is where is Cadillac's unique product? Other brands are getting new products, but Cadillac has to settle for a SRX which seems a lot like an Equinox to me, and the XTS which is a dressed up, oversized LaCrosse. Cadillac isn't innovating or engineering anything, they are just making do with the GM parts bin. That is what bothers me about Cadillac right now.

GM is already walking a fine line with the Volt and the Cadillac version would have been a tight rope.

The lack of real gain in any area would be hard till the batteries improve.

As for the design I would not be suprised if it shows up or a good part shows up in the future. Helll the 1990 Fiero was used on the 4th Gen F body so anything is posssible.

I think a car similar to this with RWD and a Turbo V6 would be much more profitable for GM.

The Lexus version of the Prius is a rare sight around here. I have only seen one on the road so far.

Edited by hyperv6

Good. Now make turn Converj into a conventionally powered ATS Coupe and they have a winner.

Powerplant wise, either a 270hp/233lb-ft 3.0 DOHC DI V6 (LF1) or a 255hp/295lb-ft 2.0 DOHC DI I4 -- but preferably not both in the interest of lineup and logistics simplicity. The 6L45 and 6L50 automatics make good pairings.

Good. Now make turn Converj into a conventionally powered ATS Coupe and they have a winner.

Powerplant wise, either a 270hp/233lb-ft 3.0 DOHC DI V6 (LF1) or a 255hp/295lb-ft 2.0 DOHC DI I4 -- but preferably not both in the interest of lineup and logistics simplicity. The 6L45 and 6L50 automatics make good pairings.

Or, better yet, a 3.0 straight six with 250 hp, and a twin turbo version with 330 hp. I'm not opposed to a turbo 4 as the base engine since Audi does it and the other Germans may soon, but this is a Cadillac. They need some good six cylinder options, and I'd like to see a V8 in this car also. Although I'd like to see a low curb weight more than that.

>>"...XTS which is a dressed up, oversized LaCrosse."<<

XTS is a Lacrosse just as well as a jag xfr (or whatever the alphanumeric is), is a dressed up, oversized Lincoln LS.

You're going to have to do much much better than this.

>>"Or, better yet, a 3.0 straight six..."<<

Ancient technology. Inline configurations date back to the dawn of the industry (1904), the V-6 is much more modern (1950) and has far better packaging. Everyone used to build inlines at some point, even top shelf lux marques like Packard did, but they're all gone. Even Ford dropped the excellent 300 I6 in the trucks after '96 - where packaging is not an issue.

If inline engines were really better than Vs, everyone would be building them when instead, only BMW and volvo are still hanging on to them.

:D

>>"Or, better yet, a 3.0 straight six..."<<

Ancient technology. Inline configurations date back to the dawn of the industry (1904), the V-6 is much more modern (1950) and has far better packaging. Everyone used to build inlines at some point, even top shelf lux marques like Packard did, but they're all gone. Even Ford dropped the excellent 300 I6 in the trucks after '96 - where packaging is not an issue.

If inline engines were really better than Vs, everyone would be building them when instead, only BMW and volvo are still hanging on to them.

:D

Inline six is smoother and better balanced than a V6. Everyone knows that. Other automakers don't use them because most automakers sell mainly front wheel drive, and can't fit an inline six in a front drive car. Mercedes used to have an inline six, I don't know why they dropped it, maybe just to share a block between their V6 and V8 and it was easier that way.

can't fit an inline six in a front drive car.

Ever look under the hood of an S80?

Or a Suzuki Verona?

>>"Mercedes used to have an inline six, I don't know why they dropped it, maybe just to share a block between their V6 and V8 and it was easier that way. "<<

mercedes dropped the I-6 because it was cheaper, you say ????? My oh my.

Face it: inline engines are old, outdated, obsolete. All the other makers dropped them for that reason and one more big one- Vee-types are perceived as modern... inline engines make many people think of MoPar Slant Sixes.

There are no discernable smoothness differences between an apples-to-apples I-6 & a V6.

A straight six, flat 6, or V12 are the most balanced engines. It's just how it is.

http://www.answers.c.../engine-balance

Mathematically... you are correct. However, manufacturers can throw so much technology at an engine these days (you know..that stuff you harp on pushrods for "not having") that it removes any differences in smoothness that the customer actually feels.

VW has some incredibly smooth V6es and the HF series is getting pretty darn close as well.

Mathematically... you are correct. However, manufacturers can throw so much technology at an engine these days (you know..that stuff you harp on pushrods for "not having") that it removes any differences in smoothness that the customer actually feels.

VW has some incredibly smooth V6es and the HF series is getting pretty darn close as well.

Agreed, but I've driven the 3.6 in fwd and rwd cars, with and without DI, and it isn't as good as my V8, or any other V8 car I've driven. The BMW straight six is better than my engine and most V8s I've driven, I think BMW's six is actually better than their V8 as far as smoothness goes. The ATS would be a better car with a straight six, but I don't think sales would be much different with a V6. The C-class sells just fine with a V6, of course the 3-series sells a lot better.

Last MoPar car I-6 : 1982-ish

Last FoMoCo car I-6 : 1975-ish

Last Buick I-8 : 1953

Last Pontiac I-8 : 1954

Last Chevy I-6 : 1975

Last Oldsmobile I-6 : 1951

Last Oldsmobile I-8 : 1948

Last Packard I-8 : 1954

Last Hudson I-6 : 1956

Technology advances have cast the inline engine aside decades ago. It is perceived as ancient tech, old school, yesteryear. Tooling up for a brand new I-6 (Cadillac never had either an I-6 or an I-8 ), with it's packaging issues, would be foolhardy.

If NVH issues could not be overcome, there's no way mercedes or jaguar --you kno, those brands supposed only "engineering for excellence"-- would have abandoned the I-6.

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by balthazar

Apparently there a pigs flying around the blue moon on their way to a winter vacation in hell...... Balthazar got one wrong.

The Ford "Thriftmaster6" I-6 continued in the Ford LTD/Mercury Marquis until 1984.

His point stands however.

GM does have a perfectly good I-6 on the shelf that would be fine for certain applications.

@ Olds :: Ahh, that's why I stuck the all-forgiving "-ish" up there. ;)

Looked in another source that goes up to '80- it does show the 200 & 250 CI I-6 in the Fairmont & Granada in the late '70s thru '80. Damn Chiltons.

-- -- -- -- --

The Atlas I-6, heretofor only used in trucks, was put in a fiendishly tall-cowled concept, the Chevy Bel Air of circa '02. A bunch bigger than BMW's, plus I believe BMW builds a 'slant six' whereas the Atlas is a due North block.

@ Balthy :: Ahh, that's why I stuck the all-forgiving "certain applications" up there.

They would have to build the car around the Atlas, but it is a fine engine.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0