Sign in to follow this  
Camino LS6

Whatzit?

13 posts in this topic

Camino LS6    866

Saw this at a car show. It had no emblems and I couldn't find the owner to ask. So, this is a real mystery since I don't have the answer to the question.

I'm guessing that it is a kit car. Check out the bizarre hood.

post-394-1138759736_thumb.jpg

razoredge    0

Sorry, dont know ! Looks like a Ace Bristol meets XKE or even better yet that nose/oval grill is more like most early/mid 60's Ferraris. The grates look like they came off the back of a Porsche. Were there ever very many front engine kit cars ? Im wondering if this was someones project. Apparently there was a pretty good American custom fiberglass sports car crowd back in the early sports car days on the West Coast. At Lime Rock there is one always on display that was built locally. One of my oldest friends, has a tiny sports car his father built back in the 50's. It tube frame, aluminum body, he used Crosley HotShot running components. I believe it too was once on the West Coast and was used for racing in the under 1 litre classes.

razoredge    0

Im entertaining the thought that it might be a customized MGA but Ill have to go back and look at your photo again. I dont remember if the cowl is as raised as this MGA. As for that windshield, it doesnt seem to be as wide as it shoudl for the car does it ?

Posted Image

Na, its different. Cowls lower, doesnt arch so low at doors and the fenders rise differently at the front of the doors as well. Oh well, Im stumped

Edited by razoredge

Camino LS6    866

The windshield looks cut down or custom made and has no trim- very odd for the timeframe.

I am pretty sure that it is some kind of kit or home-built custom. I'm going to ask some vintage racing folks to take a look.

I have this nagging feeling that I've seen something like that hood somewhere before.

Camino LS6    866

I've seen some gorgeous ACs at vintage events-sleek and beautiful, especially the coupes.

The mystery car was smaller overall(look at the MG in the background) and very rough in all respects.

Newbiewar    1

its definatly a kit car of some sort, look at the winshield support... this isnt even a convertable, it doesnt have a roof...

haha look at the turbine in the back haha

but it would look as if it could have been a production car... it seems that either side of the car would have been acceptable for a gauge cluster & steering wheel, so possibly a global car?

and 8 lug nuts? what kind of sports car would have that many?

Edited by Newbiewar

Camino LS6    866

OK, the best I've been able to do is that it appears to be some sort of Devin-bodied car. Devin made quite a number of Fiberglass bodied sports cars in the 50s and 60s with a wide variety of chassis,engine,suspension components . Everything from VW and Crosley to Corvair and Corvette were used. The cars were available as kits or complete cars. The mystery car here most closely resembles one of the 3 Corvette powered specials called Echidnas. I couldn't find squat for good pics but the one I did find shows all three Echidnas in race trim the one farthest away (of course) resembles our mystery car the most-especially the hood. The Echidnas were built on modified '56 Chevy chassis and used a bored out 283 fuel-injected Vette engine (Rochester). Anyway here's the pic:

post-394-1138815517_thumb.jpg

Hideous hood... equally bizzare use of heat extractor's off of a POrshce 550 Spyder.

Camino LS6    866

My guess is that our mystery car was a sort of Echidna replica built by Devin or from one of the Devin kits. The #64 Echidna was sold at Barret-Jackson for well over $150,000. The Echidnas have an amazing record of racing success and were built with the help of Zora Arkus Duntov.

The hood of the Mystery car could be set-up to accomodate a Rochester FI unit, but the overall size of the car makes me think not. There is obviously some connection, even the blue paint is right on the mark.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this