Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

"AMERICA IS ADDICTED TO OIL"

well no duh!

he's touting the hybrids, hydrogen, and ethanol.

'technology'

'innovation' (Bill Ford beat him to this)

replace 75% of our oil imports by 2025, through TECHNOLOGY

make our dependence on middle eastern oil 'a thing of the past'

STRAIGHT FROM HIS MOUTH Here you go!

Edited by regfootball

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What america needs is a car that runs on straight crude oil so we can eliminate all the refining costs. Plus all that extra smog will help kill off those pesky pidgeons too. :P

No, no, no...what America needs is The Homer. The car for the forgotten man.

Posted Image

We are getting alot of oil from canada now though the oil soaked dirt! anyone here about that in canada?

60 Minutes had a piece on that a few weeks ago. They have the video posted on their website...was pretty interesting.

60 Minutes

Scroll down to the article entitled The Tar Sands

Direct URL: http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/ma...hannel=60Sunday

Edited by BigPontiac

Gminsidenews is the self-proclaimed #1 GM site. Kind of like how Michael Jackson proclaimed himself "king of pop".... then he went on to unofficially proclaim himself to be the "king of pedophiles."

I know what you're thinking.... but I didn't say that gminsidenews is run by pedophiles. Get that out of your head!

Largest oil reserves by country (2005) (billions of barrels)

1. Saudi Arabia 261.9

2. Canada 178.8

3. Iran 125.8

4. Iraq 115.0

5. Kuwait 101.5

6. United Arab Emirates 97.8

7. Venezuela 77.2

8. Russia 60.0

9. Libya 39.0

10. Nigeria 35.3

I had no idea Canada had this much to tap into in the oil sands. I guess Alberta will keep getting richer while the rest of the country is SOL....

Well, at least he;s being realistic. :blink:

Ethanol is the way to go, at least until hydrogen is more refined. Brazil uses sugar to produce ethanol and is dependant upon itself for 90-some % of its fuel needs. The technology is there. It is inexpensive and proven.

In 10 years, engines that can run on ethanol should be optional on all cars and within 20-25 years, they should be standard. If the government needs to give incentives to auto manufacturers to get it done, it should. Meanwhile, farmers will have the automatic incentive to start growing corn or sugar and the oil companies can use their record profits to convert their gas stations to ethanol stations. If not, they get left behind.

Edit: Wikipedia says Brazil produces 40% of its fuel (14 billion liters) by using ethanol but I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was more than that.

Edited by sciguy_0504

Hemp seed oil. Hemp is more renewable than any of the "grains" like corn that are used for alky production. It grows like a weed because it is one.

Plus we need the grains to feed people. Only problem is, hemp oil burns in a diesel engine but not a gasoline-style engine. Hey, at least it would take care of trucks, buses and farm equipment.

Edited by NeonLX

Ethanol is the way to go, at least until hydrogen is more refined.  Brazil uses sugar to produce ethanol and is dependant upon itself for 90-some % of its fuel needs.  The technology is there.  It is inexpensive and proven.

Edit:  Wikipedia says Brazil produces 40% of its fuel (14 billion liters) by using ethanol but I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was more than that.

But what's the car to person ratio for Brazil? ;) I bet we've got 'em whooped on that figure.

Ethanol is the way to go, at least until hydrogen is more refined.  Brazil uses sugar to produce ethanol and is dependant upon itself for 90-some % of its fuel needs.  The technology is there.  It is inexpensive and proven.

In 10 years, engines that can run on ethanol should be optional on all cars and within 20-25 years, they should be standard.  If the government needs to give incentives to auto manufacturers to get it done, it should.  Meanwhile, farmers will have the automatic incentive to start growing corn or sugar and the oil companies can use their record profits to convert their gas stations to ethanol stations.  If not, they get left behind.

Edit:  Wikipedia says Brazil produces 40% of its fuel (14 billion liters) by using ethanol but I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was more than that.

ethanol is a farm subsidy that cost you more money than you can imagine.

Reg:

Love it!!! :lol: I'm thinking about getting CML TOE of my next vanity plate. :P

well no duh!

he's touting the hybrids, hydrogen, and ethanol.

'technology'

'innovation' (Bill Ford beat him to this)

make our dependence on middle eastern oil 'a thing of the past'

STRAIGHT FROM HIS MOUTH Here you go!

that would stop wars with the middle east, but isn't the wars with middle east contribute to the rising prices and consumption of oil ?

I listened to the speech last night, and yes that sounds good, end dependence on Middle East oil. Both parties say this. The problem is that, while it is good rhetorically, the benefits of doing so are not so clear.

First, the US gets most of its oil from Venezuela (I believe), very little of it comes from Saudi Arabia. Sure we can reduce the oil we get from SA, but it does little to end our dependence on OPEC. Still, reducing dependence on oil has inherent economic benefits (not necessarily national security benefits).

Second, concerning the war (or wars) in the Middle East, a reduced dependence on foreign oil holds little value in reducing terrorism. There are a lot of ways that terrorism can be reduced, but I won't go into them here because of the politics of it all, but, suffice is to say, not depending on SA or Iran does not decrease the necessity of pursuing a war on terror.

Third, say you did lessen everyone's business with the Middle East thanks to a new technology. That would likely make economic situations much worse. To the extent that it might cause more suffering than what is already experienced in many of those countries that could make matters less stable. To the extent that it might weaken existing regimes to the point that they are replaced by democracies, it could stabilize things in the long term.

Essentially, I have trouble seeing what clear benefits arise from eliminating the allegedly huge dependence on the Middle East - at least in terms of stability over there.

- E.S. Mail

There are obvious strategic advantages to getting more of America's oil from North America (ie, Canada, Mexico, itself) rather than the Middle East - cost of transport, ease of security, proximity, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the economies of the Arab states going down any time soon: India and China are going to more than pick up the slack!

That is going to be the real elephant in the room over the next 25 years. China is going to pass America in terms of GDP - anyone can see that. They only have to achieve 25% of the productivity of America to achieve that, having 4 times the population. If China's middle class aspires to match the West's level of consumption, there will be a real threat to raw materials: steel, oil, zinc, etc - all of which we are beginning to see now. Frankly, this planet can't support it.

Although the West has no right in denying China or India their places as industrial/economic power houses, those two countries will have to come to grips with their population growth and horrific environmental records, or they will take the rest of us down a spiral that no one will escape.