Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MW 2002 Pontiac Aztek Road Test

3 posts in this topic

For all the crap everyone heaps on the Aztek, myself included, GM really put in a lot of thought, features and innovations into this vehicle. Shame that it was hindered by such terrible looks.

I have to dbl check, but i think ours has passed 112k now trouble free BTW.

fun to see this test.

ours has the big rear window spoiler which kills the nice outward view shown in the video.

the biggest flaws on the vehicle........

braking can be downright scary when fully loaded or wet (or both). say a prayer and hope you stop (at least the throttle plays nice).

car can thump sometimes on bumps and ride is truckish.. i do not have the versatrak with independent rear.

the rearward view with the spoiler sucks. the spoiler really ...spoils....the outward view.

with the draconian 3.4 pushrod, it's not exactly speedy. they have put plenty of sound deadener in it so it is quiet inside the car even with the tractor mill under the hood.

the steering is actually kind of numb and lifeless, something you don't notice unless you jump in say, a taurus x (the other car in my garage) to compare.

the tailgate and hatch is nice in theory but the hatch sucks because it really needs a power lift and the struts die in winter so when you want to pop the hatch you have to wait until you are physically pushing up on it in order to delatch it. rear hatch could use a wiper too. The tailgate raises the liftover far too high for most needs but it is nice to have the high liftover for vacationing bags or say, landscape block. i have often looked at a rendezvoux with jealousy about its simpler solution.

handling is rather nimble for an suv but the shortened wheelbase does cut rear leg room a bit.

cooler is nice, but it would have been nice if you could detach it without taking the console surface away from your car.

wish the front row passenger seat folded forward for longer items like it does on my taurus x.

positives you would like are the tremendously useful and cavernous cargo area. also the rear seats are very light and easy to reconfigure and or remove. i like the CONSOLE shifter (not a column shifter like he says).

all seating is comfortable, spacious, and supportive.

the aztek was derided when it came out but really, look at crap like the 2009 Pilot and tell me the Aztek is alone in the ugly box.

i am sure many people who have crossovers with no useful cargo hold would love to have the near minivan like cargo capabilities of our aztek.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0