Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Volvo Releases Details of New S80

16 posts in this topic

Volvo Releases Details of New S80, Two New Engine Offerings

Date posted: 02-01-2006

GOTHENBURG, Sweden — The next-generation S80 will be making its debut at this year's Geneva Motor Show on February 28.

The vehicle's U.S. debut will follow at the New York auto show on April 12th, with sales starting at the end of 2006.

The second-generation S80 will bring two new engines to the lineup, including a brand-new 3.2-liter inline six-cylinder, capable of 235 horsepower and mounted transversely. This engine's small size and unique configuration make it compatible with a six-speed automatic transmission, says Volvo.

Volvo will also be bringing the XC90's V8 engine over to the S80. This 315-hp unit is touted by Volvo to be one of the cleanest V8 engines in the world. This year, customers will be able to purchase an S80 equipped with both the V8 and all-wheel drive.

A 185-hp, 2.5-liter diesel engine and a 200-hp, 2.5-liter turbo engine are also slated to be available on the new model.

Standard features will include dynamic stability and traction control, a tire-pressure monitoring system and adaptive cruise control with collision warning and brake support. A Four-C active chassis, which automatically adjusts the chassis based on driving conditions, will be available as an option.

What this means to you: Volvo isn't letting the competition catch up with one of its biggest stars by developing this impressive lineup of improvements.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109127

What this means to you: Volvo isn't letting the competition catch up with one of its biggest stars by developing this impressive lineup of improvements.

If the competition is the Saab 9-5, Acura RL or Mazda Millenia.... then I guess that's true.

I wonder why nobody complains an inline-six to be "ancient" whereas we get complaints about pushrods everyday.

Design-wise, it's extremely similar to the old model after the final refresh. Except that it doesn't look so bloated.

"This year, customers will be able to purchase an S80 equipped with both the V8 and all-wheel drive."

and not long after, the ford 500 and other ford products as well.

I wonder why nobody complains an inline-six to be "ancient" whereas we get complaints about pushrods everyday.

Design-wise, it's extremely similar to the old model after the final refresh. Except that it doesn't look so bloated.

There's absolutely nothing inherently "ancient" about inline-six engines. In fact, in many cases, an inline six (versus a V6) provides an even smoother and torquier engine.

If pushrods are ancient, so are OHC engines.... both were used in the 20's

I don't think anyone on here is debating the history of OHC engines versus pushrod engines.

The debate centers around the performance, economy, NVH, feel, sound, and quality of the driving experience with multi-cam engines versus pushrod engines.

it wasn't neccessary for volvo to develop their own 6 cylinder.

They're going to share this 6 with Jag, if the current rumors are correct....Jags have historically been powered by straight 6's.

...a 200-hp, 2.5-liter turbo engine... slated to be available on the new model.

Not again with this, Volvo... do you even understand the concept of a "Flagship Model"? See, the idea is that you should be able to get a better lineup of engines than those available in your other models. The ones that cost thousands less. Do you see Chevy putting an ECOTEC in a Corvette, Volvo? Of course not! It wouldn't sell worth a crap! And the same will be true of this weak, 2.5L. S80 variant... If you can sell any S80's at all.

That aside, I like the new 3.2L. i6 and the Diesel. I just don't see the point of sharing an engine that is the base powerplant on the S60.

There is a market for people who want the "biggest, best" model, yet can barely afford it. That's what the 2.5L model offers.

There is a market for people who want the "biggest, best" model, yet can barely afford it.  That's what the 2.5L model offers.

Its also a great tax dodge in Euro countries that charge on that basis....S80 has a weird demographic, I have a feeling, so the more choice, the better.

Not again with this, Volvo... do you even understand the concept of a "Flagship Model"? See, the idea is that you should be able to get a better lineup of engines than those available in your other models. The ones that cost thousands less. Do you see Chevy putting an ECOTEC in a Corvette, Volvo? Of course not! It wouldn't sell worth a crap! And the same will be true of this weak, 2.5L. S80 variant... If you can sell any S80's at all.

That aside, I like the new 3.2L. i6 and the Diesel. I just don't see the point of sharing an engine that is the base powerplant on the S60.

I doubt the diesel or the 2.5 I5 will be available in the US... just the 3.2 I6 and 4.4 V8.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this