Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Hey, Look, Chrysler Will Be Building Some New Cars, Trucks. Who Knew?

10 posts in this topic

Hey, Look, Chrysler Will Be Building Some New Cars, Trucks. Who Knew?

A leaked document obtained by the Mopar-loving forumites at Allpar provides purported production dates and details for every new Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram product including the Ram Hybrid, a possible Sebring name change and info on the Fiat 500.

There's a lot to digest here so we'll just summarize. The first truly "new" Chrysler vehicle is the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which begins production on May 10th of this year followed by the 2011 Ram 1500/2500 and refreshes of the Caliber, Dakota, Liberty and Nitro in July. Jeep also gets its series of significant updates on the 2011 Wrangler and Patriot in August and October.

The next big product is the 2011 Dodge CUV, starting production in November. We suspect this the unibody Dodge Durango we keep hearing about, possibly called the 2012 Dodge Magnum. Hybrids roll out for the Journey and Ram 1500 in the same month.

And what of the awful Dodge Avenger/Chrysler Sebring? The replacement rolls of the lines on November 18th and it looks like the Sebring will shed its oft maligned name for the auto show-tested Chrysler 200C moniker. November 22nd is just "Minivans" and we're thinking this is just another big refresh.

Everyone is waiting for the 2012 Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300 and Challenger LX platforms and they've all been moved to a start date in November 30th. Finally, the 2011 Compass and 2012 Fiat 500 hit plants on the same day in December 13th. Does this imply a connection? We may be confusing doubt and hope here but no, there is no connection. This does imply Ralph Giles knew what he was saying when he said the Fiat 500 on sale this year albeit just barely.

What does all this mean? After weakly trying to survive with cheesy special editions they're going to shove everything down the pipe and hope what comes out is profitability.

link:

http://jalopnik.com/5484809/hey-look-chrysler-will-be-building-some-new-cars-trucks-who-knew

It's a shame that the 200c probably won't look like the 200c concept however.

Leaked: Chrysler’s 2011 production start schedule

BY MARK KLEIS

Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram production start dates have found their way onto the Internet far ahead of their planned releases. Among the tidbits of information leaked are confirmations of name changes, and contradictions to past information concerning the order of new model releases.

Most of the “leaks” that recently worked their way onto the internet before the start of the Geneva Motor Show were likely more akin to backdoor releases than actual leaks. But when it comes to production schedules, that type of information is generally kept fairly tight to the chest in order to avoid potentially damaging sales numbers for current models.

Luckily for those on the fence who are considering either taking advantage of the deep discounts currently offered by Chrysler or waiting for new products, Accelerate Mpls has done the dirty work and exposed the complete production start list that was hiding in plain site on Allpar. The list and the commentary following it give insight into the coming changes to the Chrysler lineup – and even gives hints towards some name changes to existing Chrysler products.

First up for production will be the 2010 Viper – set to resume production in just a few weeks on March 29, 2010. The Viper started a production halt in July, and will return two years earlier than previously indicated. Some reports suggested that the world would be without a Dodge Viper until the Ferrari influenced Viper returned in 2012, but according to this schedule, the Dodge will live on before its transformation.

Next up will be the chassis cab Ram pickups on April 5, which will be 2011 model year vehicles along with every other model on the list – save for the Viper. According to the source that provided the information, “Dodge is currently working on a plan that would make the Ram 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs available to all Ram dealers.” This shift would help to increase fleet sales and may help Chrysler to inflates sales numbers beyond barely neutral.

After the chassis cab trucks will come the 2011 Grand Cherokee – beginning production on May 10. The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee will be an all-new model and will feature the new 3.6-liter Pentastar V6. Two months after Jeep launches a crucial new SUV, Ram will start production of the 1500 and 2500 models on July 5 at one plant, and then July 26 for the second plant.

Later in July, the 26th to be exact, Chrysler is looking to have a busy day when they begin production for the 2011 Caliber, Dakota, Liberty and Nitro. Although most of those models are expected to essentially just be carried over from 2010, there are rumors suggesting the 2011 Dakota could possibly begin its new life as a unibody pickup. Earlier reports suggested the transition would take place in 2011, which is still possible, but a 2010 introduction isn’t completely out of the question.

Another model surrounded by speculation is the 2011 Jeep Wrangler on August 16th. The Wrangler has obviously remained mostly unchanged during its storied history, but some suggestions place a new Pentastar V6 – which we find to be very likely – and the addition of minor aerodynamic tweaks as well as technological upgrades in order to keep the Wrangler modern. Another possibility is that the Wrangler will remain virtually unchanged, aside from its new more powerful and more efficient V6.

The Jeep Patriot is set to enter production on October 4. The Patriot, along with the PT Cruiser, Dodge Nitro, Jeep Compass and Chrysler Sebring, is set to go away in 2012 – so don’t expect big changes.

One interesting production date to note is November 8, where a “Dodge CUV” is set to begin production. The CUV is believed to either by a Durango replacement, or potentially the return of a Magnum model. Allpar suggests that the “Dodge CUV” may likely be a stretched and tweaked Grand Cherokee with an upward sloping roofline, as opposed to the downward sloping Cherokee’s roofline.

On November 16, production will begin for the Journey and Ram 1500 hybrid. The Journey is due for a refresh inside and out, and expect a new engine as well. Just two days later in November, refreshed versions of the Avenger and Sebring are set to begin production on the 18th, but there is a possibility that the Sebring will be known as the 200C. Just days later, the minivans will begin production on the 22nd. A week after Chrysler begins producing its 2011 minivans, it will start production on the key new 2011 Charger – as well as the Challenger and 300.

The 2011 Charger will be a drastic departure from current styling, expected to bring classic lines like that of the 1968 models back to Dodge showrooms. The 300C will get some tweaks to the body lines and improvements to aerodynamics, but will fall short of a totally fresh design. The Challenger is expected to get a major overhaul, and should receive a beefed up new 6.4-liter Hemi V8.

Closing out the production dates for 2010 will be the Jeep Compass and Fiat 500 – both set for December 13 start dates. The Fiat 500 will mark the first Fiat-badged vehicle to enter the U.S. sales mix as a result of the Fiat-Chrysler merger.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/leaked-chryslers-2011-production-start-schedule.html

It's a shame that the 200c probably won't look like the 200c concept however.

Agreed, they should have saved that name for a car like the 200C, not a Sebring refresh.

According to the product plan that Fiat had previously revealed, the Fiat platform based replacement for the Sebring won't arrive until the 2013 calendar year. It also indicates (with the major modification symbol augmented with a "+" sign) that the Sebring will be significantly modified this year (Link: Autoblog: Chrysler Brand Product Plan Chart, Source: Autoblog). I believe this car will experience some drastic changes, especially if Fiat plans to add this sedan and coupe-cabrio to Lancia's lineup as well. I don't think the time frame will allow for a total redesign, but I think some major restyling will occur. I think they will carry over the middle section (roof and doors), but they will (hopefully) completely restyle the front and rear along with some other minor alterations. I have a personal wishlist for the exterior restyling. The first issue to be addressed is the removal of that silly black plastic C-pillar fakeout; it makes this car look cheap and contrived. With the C-pillar fakeout gone, I would cover the outer window frames (the B-pillar frames would remain black) in chrome with a thin chrome strip running along the bottom of the windows inside the door cut lines to connect the ends of the upper chrome strip; I think this will give the sedan a more formal profile. The door handles and sideview mirror caps would be covered in chrome, also. The hood, front fenders, headlights, and front fascia would be restyled to resemble the 2007 Nassau Concept. The grille would be inspired by the one on the 200C EV Concept. As far as the rear, design cues from the same Nassau Concept (taillights, decklid license plate cutout and garnish, vertical decklid crease, and rear fascia with integrated dual exhaust outlets) would be applied to a slightly lengthened rear (to balance out the sedan's tall proportions). Classier wheel designs would complete the exterior makeover. The overall intention of these changes would be to give this sedan a more formal, angular look. The coupe-cabrio version would receive the same restyled front/rear treatments and wheels as the sedan. Of course, I also expect major updates/improvements for the interior, NVH, engine/transmission combos, and handling. As much as I like the 2009 200C EV Concept, I really don't want to see Chrysler add another numeric moniker to its lineup. I would actually like to see this (hopefully) greatly improved product christened as the 2011 Chrysler Nassau; I think this name is classy and appropriate for a premium midsize sedan and coupe-cabrio. I would hope that the 2014 Chrysler Nassau sedan (the replacement built on a modified Fiat derived platform) would then look like a production version of the wonderful looking 200C EV Concept (which I think will still look fresh in the future). A coupe-cabrio variant would still accompany the sedan when the next gen version arrives.

I think the "Avenger" name should be dropped as well. Other than arguably better exterior styling, the Avenger was just as compromised and tarnished as its Sebring platform mate. Besides, I think "Avenger" is simply a silly name for a mainstream midsize sedan, no matter how sporty the sedan may be (or the related automaker wishes that it may be). I would really like to see the "Intrepid" name resurrected for the refreshed version. I know the name was used on a fullsize sedan in the past, but that place is now occupied by the Charger in Dodge's lineup and the "Intrepid" name is simply too good a name to leave rotting in the brand's archives. I think it would be appropriate for the name to be resurrected for this refreshed midsize sedan. I hope the refreshed version loses the awkward rear kickup (and resulting odd rear window design) and adopts some styling cues from the next gen Charger. When the 2014 replacement arrives, I hope it is a sleeker design that is accompanied by a coupe variant.

I also hope that the refreshed Journey gets a front end restyling in the vein of the sketches that we have seen of the upcoming Dodge Magnum(?)/Durango(?) fullsize CUV. I like the overall exterior styling of the Journey, but I think the current front end treatment is a little weak and in need of a little more character. I'm not fond of the "Journey" name either, but I think we are probably stuck with it considering how popular the CUV has been in the Canadian market.

Just my wishes, hopes, and speculations...

The Town & Country minivan has the same "Major Modification Plus" symbol as the Sebring, so it will be interesting to see what that will entail.

Overall, this coming year will be an exciting one for Chrysler LLC.

Avenger name isn't going anywhere as it fits Dodge's naming scheme, and has fared better (relatively peaking) in sales and reviews.

While the Intrepid name sorta fits in the naming scheme, I haven't heard anything about a possible return.

'Avenger' just seems like a muscle car type name, seems out of place on a pedestrian FWD sedan. I liked the 'Cirrus' and 'Stratus' names...

It is what it is. The last time the name was used was one a reskinned Mitsubishi.

And before that the name was affixed to this:

avenger.jpg

That's nice and all, but I'd like to see some photos. You would think with so many significant introductions surging in, you'd be able to see what little we have of the 300C, Charger, Durango/Magnum, and so on.

'Avenger' just seems like a muscle car type name, seems out of place on a pedestrian FWD sedan. I liked the 'Cirrus' and 'Stratus' names...

stratus was a good name.

the best name actually.

no woman (women control the decision of most car purchases) is going to even look at something called an immature muscle car name like Avenger (is that a comic book hero?) when tried and true mainstream, safe names like "Accord" are in competition with it.

Stupider things have occured though (see Acura giving up the Legend and Integra names.....)

Heck, "reliant" and "acclaim" would be better choices than Avenger.

Edited by regfootball