New Rav4 and Yaris at Frankfurt 2005

August 29, 2005 -- Torrance, CA -- Toyota Motor Marketing Europe (TMME) will stage the world premier of the all-new RAV4 sport utility vehicle (SUV) and unveil the all-new Yaris three-door and five-door liftbacks, at a press conference at the Frankfurt International Motor Show. Both vehicles featured at the press conference will have European specifications.

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. will launch the all-new RAV4, its most affordable SUV, this fall for the 2006 model year. The completely restyled and reengineered third generation RAV4 will feature significantly improved performance and a larger, more refined and modern interior when it goes on sale. The all-new Yaris, which replaces the ECHO, will launch next spring for the 2007 model year. As ToyotaⳠmost affordable passenger car, the Yaris will feature contemporary exterior styling and a surprising and upscale interior.

The RAV4 and Yaris will debut in the U.S. at a press conference at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas on Wednesday, November 2.

Rav4:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Talk about bland...

Yaris:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Damn... Talk about ugly. The Rav4 is hideous. :puke:

The Yaris isn't that bad, actually. Bland, but unique. Wierd in a way. It also looks like it could pass as a Scion. Especially the Interior. Those wheels are tiny, though.

I suspect the Yaris will be in the US as a Scion or the Echo replacement eventually...the old Yaris 3dr was sold in Canada as an Echo...

Why does the RAV4s steering wheel look so disgusting? I mean the texture of the rubber/placstic is like a 10 year old dry rotted tire. :huh: That stupid huge toyota emblem looks like it was put there by a ricer boy type. But seriously the steering wheel makes this car look like a 1989 Hyundai that someone conditioned with way too much Armorall.

"Surprising and upscale interior"? Yeah, right, Toyota. That interior is about as "Upscale" as a trailer park. Nothing says "Cheap car" to me like a big, flat expanse of black-grey plastic for me to stare at all day. And when the sun hits it... Arrrgh! You're whole dashboard is one big glare! Besides the dash, there are other atrocities. That stereo faceplate looks like the same one Toyota has been using since, what, 1997 or so? Get with the times! And the faux-aluminum trim screams "Cheezy!!!" to me. Like nobody's gonna know it's spray painted, injection-moulded plastic! In about 20 years, we're going to look back on this crap the same way we look at faux wood trim right now. Also, the HVAC controls are an ergonomic nightmare. Not only do they look wacky, but anybody who buys one of these with a stickshift is going to be constantly plowing their fist into that stupid stack (unless this car has incredibly short throws, but I doubt it). Save the unconventional crap for SCION, Toyota. It will be interesting to see what else Toyota comes up with. The rumor was that Toyota was planning two replacements for the ECHO, one more conventional than the ECHO, the other yet more outlandish. I hope the Yaris is the outlandish one. Edited by Petra

The design of the Yaris interior sucks, the HVAC controls are horrible, though it does look like the plastics are nice. This is what appeals to the Euros, however. The official U.S.-spec Yaris will debut at the SEMA show, along with the new Rav4. I like the exterior design of the Rav4 but its interior is too busy. Apparently it will be available with a V6, I'm guessing the 3.3L.

Guest YellowJacket894
I won't be buying either, so I'm not worried. But, people will buy these bland appliances because they stil think Toyota's the cockroach of cars. And 79% of the press will reinforce that and say that Toyota will again triumph over the other automakers, who are just as good and just as impressive as Toy-oder.

1) Third-row in the RAV4? Why, besides being retarded? 2) Why the quarter windows up front on the Yaris? Front quarter windows are hallmarks of poorly thought-out design. 3) HVAC controls with no knobs? I'm going to have to punch in the fan speed? Is there a spin cycle? I don't care how 'soft' the dash is, it looks like cheap, KMart crap.

As long as they don't do a 4-dr. sedan version, the Yaris is credible. Whatever about the RAV4, I hate SUVs anyway.... Anyone ever notice that some brands' lineups in the U.S. market now have more SUVs than cars? Honda and Ford are two major offenders. Nissan and Toyota have the exact same number of cars and SUVs.

i have a funny rav4 story........ ok so my mom used to have a rav4 and it was a monstrous POS. the clutch was gone at 35,000 and it seemed like it was put together by chimps working in the dark. but yea the day she went to trade it in on a camaro we revved the hell out of it until it redlined and started shaking side to side and came about >< that clost to blowing the engine. you will never ever find more satisfaction than what you get from abusing a toyota :Toyota: :lol: