Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Segment-Leading Camaro to Face Off With Fuel-Efficient Mustang

12 posts in this topic

Segment-Leading Camaro to Face Off With Fuel-Efficient Mustang

By Byron Pope

WardsAuto.com, Mar 5, 2010 9:00 AM

The Chevrolet Camaro took the lead in the U.S. pony-car sales race in February, but the competition will heat up with the spring debut of the new ’11 Ford Mustang.

The Camaro outsold the Mustang last month, its top segment competitor, by 1,367 units. Ford Motor Co. delivered 5,115 Mustangs, compared with Chevy’s 6,482 Camaros, according to Ward’s data.

Chevy’s February tally represents a 21% gain on January, General Motors Co. says, noting the Camaro has racked up 75,000 deliveries since its launch in early 2009.

“Traditionally, we expect to see a dip in sales for rear-wheel-drive performance cars over the winter,” John Fitzpatrick, Chevrolet performance cars marketing manager, says in a statement. “But demand for Camaro shows no sign of slowing down, particularly in the Sunbelt.”

Texas, California and Florida account for 25% of all Camaro retail sales, and six of the top 10 U.S. Camaro dealers are located in Texas, GM says.

The Camaro has continued to win over buyers from other brands at about a 50% clip since the car’s launch, Fitzpatrick adds.

“We’re beginning to see owners of performance cars like (the) Mustang and (Nissan) 350Z trading in their cars to get behind the wheel of a Camaro,” he says. “To me, that’s an incredible testament to the appeal, and performance, of the Camaro.”

’11 Ford Mustang V-6 produces 305 hp and achieves 31 mpg highway.

To keep up with demand, GM has been running a Saturday overtime shift at its Oshawa, ON, Canada, assembly plant.

Ford hopes to slow the Camaro’s frantic pace with the upcoming debut of the new Mustang, which boasts a pair of new powertrains – a 5.0L V-8 producing 412 hp and 390 lb.-ft. (529 Nm) of torque, and a 3.7 V-6 making 305 hp and 280 lb.-ft. (380 Nm) of torque.

The new Mustang already has more than 11,000 orders, half of which are for the V-6, an engine Ford is particularly bullish on due to its performance and segment-leading fuel economy.

The Environmental Protection Agency this week rated Mustang V-6s mated to the available 6-speed automatic transmission at19/31 mpg (12.4-7.6 L 100/km) city/highway.

The rating makes the Mustang the first production car in history to produce more than 300 hp and achieve more than 30 mpg (7.8 L 100/km) on the highway, Ford says.

“The Mustang engineering team aimed high, and through hard work, achieved fuel economy numbers that elevate the Mustang into a class by itself,” Derrick Kuzak, Ford group vice president-Global Product Development, says in a statement.

By comparison, the Camaro’s 304-hp 3.6L V-6 gets 18/ 29 mpg (13.1-8.1 L 100/km) when mated to a 6-speed automatic.

Ford currently is gearing up for production of the ’11 Mustang at its AutoAlliance International plant in Flat Rock, MI.

link:

http://wardsauto.com/ar/camaro_face_mustang_100305/

GM is doing more to market the V6 with the Synergy Special Edition.

It will a special package on the V6 only and with colors only made for the V6. This is only the start of the press to get more V6 Camaro's in the market and away from Ford.

If GM could just steal half of Fords V6 Mustang production they will be in good shape.

The better they can sell the V6 the better Change we have of a V8 in the Future. The Camaro can not continue into the future with 80% V8 models only.

the thing with Ford is they will build and sell quite a few non optioned cars. GM rarely delivers its cars like a camaro at base prices.

the thing with Ford is they will build and sell quite a few non optioned cars. GM rarely delivers its cars like a camaro at base prices.

Is it that the Ford people don't expect much and don't hate the poor resale or is it the Chevy people just expect more of each?

With Ford selling so few cars last year even the improved Mustange is going to have a tough year.

I was in one the other day. The interior is much better but the leg room is not great. Once I go the seat adjusted my right knee was almost into the dash at knee cap level. I am just under 6 foot! I had more knee room in the Camaro. I also wish the clutch pedal was a little higher in both like it is in a Porsche.

Ford's going to retake the crown I bet. Not only has the Mustang beat the Camaro and Challenger in most comparisons. And that was with engines about 100hp weaker and with worse fuel economy.

Ford's going to retake the crown I bet. Not only has the Mustang beat the Camaro and Challenger in most comparisons. And that was with engines about 100hp weaker and with worse fuel economy.

While the Camaro looks cooler, the mustang has a much nicer interior, the exterior ain't bad, the weight is dialed in fairly well compared to the competition which really helps it with performance and handling, especially with the track package, and now with the new engine choices the mustang arguably has the edge over the Camaro.

I'm interested to see if GM responds, or if they rest on their laurels. Unfortunately I'd think GM has more important things to focus on for the time being, but who knows.

While the Camaro looks cooler, the mustang has a much nicer interior, the exterior ain't bad, the weight is dialed in fairly well compared to the competition which really helps it with performance and handling, especially with the track package, and now with the new engine choices the mustang arguably has the edge over the Camaro.

I'm interested to see if GM responds, or if they rest on their laurels. Unfortunately I'd think GM has more important things to focus on for the time being, but who knows.

I find both cars interesting, admit bias being a 3 time Mustang owner. If I were buying one now, I'd probably go with the '11 Mustang GT--the interior is a lot nicer, more interior goodies available, I can see out of it easily, and the trunk is usable. I think the Camaro, as great looking as it is, and as well as it drives from what I hear, would wear thin quickly and it's weaker points would start to irritate...the Challenger is also in play--I love the styling and the size and heft.

I need more garage space before I can seriously think about another car, though. Couldn't tolerate something new sitting in the driveway getting crapped on by birds, the paint baked by the AZ sun, and the cats, sprinklers, and tree goop getting on it.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Is it that the Ford people don't expect much and don't hate the poor resale or is it the Chevy people just expect more of each?

With Ford selling so few cars last year even the improved Mustange is going to have a tough year.

I was in one the other day. The interior is much better but the leg room is not great. Once I go the seat adjusted my right knee was almost into the dash at knee cap level. I am just under 6 foot! I had more knee room in the Camaro. I also wish the clutch pedal was a little higher in both like it is in a Porsche.

i think it has more to do with the v6 mustangs traditionally have sold pretty cheap OTD. there will be this period of time where ford will be trying to recondition their mustang buyers to accept higher prices and packaging levels on the v6s but at least out of the gate i do think ford will provide plenty of v6 mustangs closer to that 23 starting point so its not total sticker shock for the guy used to seeing the v6's on the lot at 19, 20k...........

remember most idiots cruising the lots have no clue about all the new engines and mechanical refinements. only car internet geeks like us know the real substantive differences. which is why to me the camaro still has a bigger showroom draw. the styling of the camaro will sell the car almost regardless of price. the mustang will still need cheap price to sell regardless of all the great upgrades because the styling is so dull.

Edited by regfootball

It will be interesting to see if the Mustang can regain sales. While it improved in many areas for the most it did not change a lot in the looks department.

Sales were down to 66,000 last year for many reasons. I think the key on the class will be packages and price. Can GM respond with good packages in the V6 car to spur sales. On their first package with the V6 and special colors did not excite me. They will have to do better.

The real advantage the Mustang has if it is a smaller car and easier car to see out of. That is a key Demo with female drivers. There is little they can do to change this on this platform but I hope they can address it on the Alpha.

The Camaro needs to get an interior refresh soon. The Mustang will get MyFord technology and the Camaro has cheesy analog gauges under the dash and no navigation. Honestly, if the interior of the Camaro had been better they would have sold me one already.

The Camaro needs to get an interior refresh soon. The Mustang will get MyFord technology and the Camaro has cheesy analog gauges under the dash and no navigation. Honestly, if the interior of the Camaro had been better they would have sold me one already.

I was in the neighbors new SS today and it is loaded but the dash on the right side just looks so flat and plain. I thought it would grow on me but it is still a let down for a $40k car.

The new engines will really help the Mustang, I think getting an independent rear suspension in a few years will help also. The Mustang is a lot lighter than the Camaro, and has a better interior, so a couple more pluses for Ford. I think the Camaro looks better, but is it is hard to see out of, because of the high belt line, low roof and thick c-pillar.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0