NewsFeeder

Rendered Speculation: Saab 9-1 gets drawn up

12 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hatchback, Saab, Design/Style

saab-9-1-rendering.jpgVictor Muller, CEO of Spyker Cars, has made it clear that Saab, which was just recently acquired by Muller's exclusive automaker, will introduce a new small car to go up against the Mini and the newly shown-off Audi A1. What's more, the new small Saab will hearken back to such classically styled Swedish iron as the classic 1949 92.

It's been rumored that the next Saab will be known as the 9-1 and will be based atop the underpinnings of the Opel Astra hatchback. Unlike past GM-based (or Subaru-based, depending) Saabs, though, Muller is reportedly telling his designers that every car wearing the Born-from-Jets badge must be instantly recognizable as a Saab.

That's enough information for a few talented artists to sketch out their own ideas of what a mini Saab might look like, and just such an illustration comes courtesy of Autobild. We have no clue how accurate it may be, but feel free to check it in full by clicking here. So, what do you think?

[source: Autobild (translated)]

Rendered Speculation: Saab 9-1 gets drawn up originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=bL0cgqMWycQ:VcGQrBOqFko:wF9xT autoblog?i=bL0cgqMWycQ:VcGQrBOqFko:V_sGL
bL0cgqMWycQ

View the full article

i sure hope they don't go the fruity lookin route like the 500 and mini. this class of car could use a little less cute IMO

First impression blew it for me. All I can see is Cooper in the headlights. I do like the rear view, though.

bad chop of a Mini...but I Still like the idea

Does nothing for me at all ...........

i sure hope they don't go the fruity lookin route like the 500 and mini. this class of car could use a little less cute IMO

I wonder if there's real potential for 'less cute' = success in something this damned small. 'Cute' seems to be the only approach to date by anyone.

Dodge Hornet wasn't cute. It was badass. Spark isn't cute. It's brokeass ugly.

Yes to the idea

Yes to the rear end

No to the front end

Also, I wouldn't call the C30 "cute" although yes, it is bigger, its priced in the same range

Edited by Satty

I wonder if there's real potential for 'less cute' = success in something this damned small. 'Cute' seems to be the only approach to date by anyone.

it's hard for a small car to be macho styled.....the proportions naturally fight its ability to look anything besides cute and feminine.

or as blu would say about the spark.

now, in the case of the hornet, that wasn't too bad.

i saw the new fiesta this weekend. that is even bordering on cute. mazda 2 also.....the mazda 2 was especially weak. too rounded most certainly. methinks the aveo when it hits will come off nicely in comparison.

come to think of it, i guess the c30 is a little less cute than some of the others, but until the freshened front end this year, i don't think you would have called it aggressive.

i guess i see the Mini and renderings like this Saab and it just goes straight to the old Dodge Neon 'hi' commercials, and the new beetle.

to be honest the toyota IQ is about as macho as anything in these lower segments.

Edited by regfootball

If SAAB were to use the MINI platform (that pic is based on a MINI pic) I'd expect it to use the longer variants (Clubman or Crossman). Based on an Astra platform it will certainly look nothing like that.

Edited by ZL-1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead