Car Spotting

LosAngeles

I got a Southwest "wanna get away" moment to kick things off...

I'm over by the bank, in the car, analyzing this 79 Cutlass Supreme and a 70s El Camino parked head-to-head. Cutty was quite clean, but for the slightly smashed-in-from-the-bottom grille, and the ElCo was pretty oxidized, but looked straight.

OK, here's the rundown. El Co backs out to leave, while right next to the Cutty, this idiot comes in some bulls--t Yukon XL Denali at a painfully obvious bad angle (never mind that the poor older lady is putting her groceries in the trunk, and that he had five spaces to choose from, but chooses to pull right next to her). Whole lot looking right at this guy, including her, and all he had to do was back out (or I could have gotten out and said something and the day was saved)...I just knew the guy was smarter than the following.

I see the Cutty wiggle. He scrapes that big white elephant RIGHT AGAINST the previously PERFECT front fender.

I just yelled "IDIOT!!!"

It was so awful, I had to get out, walk over, and tell him how much of an idiot he was, while adding on to the old lady that I thought her car was beautiful, and he had to ruin it for us classic fans.

I left, but dwelled on it to myself for ten minutes afterwards, saying "She should SOOO make him fix not only the fender, but throw in the front end as well for the trouble." He gets what he deserves for that one.

What was this guy thinking? That his big white tank would phase through her car like Shadowcat? That it would smush up like marshmallows real quick, what? The guy had a FIVE-SPACE WINDOW, and he chooses to ruin his own day and hers to attempt pulling up right next to her. Did he just buy this thing and not have a real idea of spatial reasoning?

Further proof that your average city dweller don't need to drive SUVs, especially one that big.[/rant]

Edited by LosAngeles

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went dealer hopping this last Saturday with a buddy, first stop was Buick/Pontiac/GMC and they had a few Lucernes on the lot as well as a loaded red Solstice ($27k!!!) and next to it was an 05 CTS-V. There was one sweet red G6 GTP (6 speed) coupe on the lot and supprisingly there was only one 05 GTO (silver, 6 speed). I had went to the lot with the intention to test drive a G6 or GTO (if they had autos since I can't drive stick) but not one sales man came out and even asked if I need any help.

Then I went to a Honda/Dodge, while my friend was checking out an 06 Civic Si coupe, I was checking out some Chargers and Magnums (No SRTs on the lot :( ). There were probly about 4-5 salespeople on the lot and not one of them even paid attention to us. I even asked one guy as he was walking buy "how's it going?" and he said fine and walked on.

Then we went to a Chevy dealership.. I'm scoping out a black loaded 06 Monte SS ($29K) some older salesman comes out and I play it off as if I'm about to graduate college in the spring (I wish) and somewhere I screwed and said something that gave him the idea that I'm BSing. I'm realing that he's not gonna let me test drive that car so then I just said I was just looking and he went on his way.

A Charger SRT8 in black (real nice) passed by me while I was walking and I didn't hear a thing! I couldn't believe that at a 45 mph, there was NO exhaust sound audible on the side of the road. My friend's Magnum R/T makes more noise. I don't like the regular Chargers, but the SRT8 in black was really mean looking.

Two 2007 Tahoes at the local dealer, a LT and LTZ. They are even more impressive when you get up close with them.

My dad spotted a 2006 Z06.

An old woman driving a dark blue 1996 Impala SS that must have be parked in the closest parking spot every time she went shopping because the thing had more dings, scratches and dents that any normal car should have.

Some local kid got a 1965 Baracuda as a daily driver and has been cruising around.

Was it big?  Since you question it, it was probably a 505.  I don't think 405 wagons were imported here.

I suppose it would be large for Europe. It was about Cutlass Cruiser-sized.

Okay, upon a quick Google, I'm pretty sure it was a 405 since it had block headlamps, not the angular jobs like the 505.

Posted Image

3 HHRs, and a full-sized GMC van with an identity crisis. It had the GMC and "Vandura" badges, but there were red Chevy bowties on the fender and on the door-lock cylinder guards

Took the Blazer again... bought some drive-through... spun some tires... blasted some music... honked a horn... Oh, and I went dealer hopping. :D But what I saw today wasn't at any dealers.

-Mazda RX7. An early one like this, but white.

Posted Image

-Honda Preludes. A few of them; a 4th gen and a 5th gen. I am definitely becoming aware of how much better 5th gens look than 4th gens. If only I could find one in my price range...

-Nissan 240SX. Officially, my second S13 ever. I think I now know for sure what my next vehicle will be. And to think, it's the one that I had previously decided to get. Isn't that amazing? :P

-Toyota MR2. Sadly, with a huge wing on the back. Didn't get a good look at it, though.

-Hyundai Tiburon. Actually, this was one I previously seen at the dealer.. it's still there. Sorry, I just have a weird attraction to this little thing. It's weird, yet strange... but somehow likeable. Or maybe my eyesight is starting to go bad... Either or. :P

Posted Image

Oh... I saw a car. It wasn't much of one, but it was one, none-the-less. It was black. Just black. It sounded... like a car, but not exactly what I was used to. It looked to be RWD. And from the '80s, I presume. It was coupe, a notchback coupe it seemed. It looked to be midsized. My my... I just don't what this particular car was... Do you? It looked like it had "GNX" on the trunk. Does anybody know what a "GNX" is? It looked nice... really nice... :P

I saw another car, too. It was red and had throaty exhaust note. It was also a coupe and midsized. It was fast, too. It had hoodscoops too, two of them above the two grills. Funny... it had an arrowhead between them. I never saw that before... An arrowhead. Weird. :D

I also can't forget to mention the other vehicle I saw. It looked like a silver-ish beige Blazer. The windows were down and the driver was blasting music from SOAD. He also kept flooring it and spinning the rear tires. Looked like he was having fun... Fun with a POS. What would had thought of it? B)

Edited by blackviper8891

Oh... I saw a car. It wasn't much of one, but it was one, none-the-less. It was black. Just black. It sounded... like a car, but not exactly what I was used to. It looked to be RWD. And from the '80s, I presume. It was coupe, a notchback coupe it seemed. It looked to be midsized. My my... I just don't what this particular car was... Do you? It looked like it had "GNX" on the trunk. Does anybody know what a "GNX" is? It looked nice... really nice... :P

It's a Buick. You usually see Grand Nationals (GN's). The GN's are RWD, have 3.8L turbocharged V6's and haul ass. The GNX is an even faster version of the GN.

It's a Buick.  You usually see Grand Nationals (GN's).  The GN's are RWD, have 3.8L turbocharged V6's and haul ass.  The GNX is an even faster version of the GN.

Yet another example of how easily humor can be missed on internet forums.

Yesterday I saw two '90s Roadmasters--a dark red wagon with wood trim, and a base gold 4dr (no vinyl top, plain full wheelcovers). Don't see those very often.

Last night, I saw a car that would excite 68P---a late '70s Toyota Cressida station wagon..in good shape.

I really like the new style GTI. The local dealer has 5... two white, red, black and gray. The VW website doesn't even have info up on the new model yet. They're always late like that. I want to see a blue one.

I also saw a really sweet G6 GTP coupe in silver with black leather and ultrabrite rims. I'd love to see an orange one with black/Morrocco leather. Has anyone here seen that interior color?

Went dealer hopping yesterday... Volvo, VW, BMW, MINI, Hummer, Saab, and Chevy in that order. I was a bit disappointed by the GTI... perhaps my expectations were too high, but I felt that I liked it more than it was good. The interior was kinda depressing, it didn't smell right, and I didn't like the door hinge design... trivial details, but important nevertheless. I was pleasantly surprised by the 9-3, S40, and S60.

GMT 900s on the road tally:

2!

Tahoe yesterday, great purpleish color and fully loaded trim

Yukon today, actually looked pretty decent, and even distinctive as I drove further away as its face peered back at me.

EDIT: forgot to mention....both were no where near dealers.

Edited by turbo200

Oh my god, RBB took a photo while driving.... how many school children did you run over as a result? :blink:

[/sarcasm]

But seriously I think that's actaully the next Hyundai XG. :wink:

A whole bunch of my baby's cousins... but sad to see that they are all rentals.

Although a rather pleasant sight (minus the bad cigarette smell) is a bunch of guys that look like the ricer they are driving is in the shop, drives a rental white G6 GT, and complementing about the car. They seem to really like it.

Oh my god, RBB took a photo while driving.... how many school children did you run over as a result? :blink:

[/sarcasm]

But seriously I think that's actaully the next Hyundai XG. :wink:

:lol:

That's why it's cockeyed - I was paying more attention to the road. Just glad I got a halfway decent shot. Man, are those things impressive in person.

-RBB