NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Spy Shots: 2011 Opel Astra SportsTourer Wagon

13 posts in this topic

Spy Shots: 2011 Opel Astra SportsTourer Wagon

The current generation Opel Astra made its debut in Europe back in May of 2009 and ever since its release there have been hopes that the car could eventually make its way to the U.S. as a Saturn or even a Buick. While the Saturn route is no longer possible, the new Astra will be arriving on local shores, although not in its current guise.

You see, the platform underpinning the car--GM's Delta architecture--is shared with the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze and will also underpin a new compact sedan from Buick.

Considering that a new wagon bodystyle has been engineered for the Delta platform, as seen here in these latest spy shots of the upcoming Opel Astra SportsTourer, there’s a strong possibility that similar wagon variants of the local Cruze and Buick compact may also be developed.

As for the Opel Astra SportsTourer, the new wagon is set to go on sale in Europe towards the end of the year and will come with the same range of four-cylinder engines offered on the regular hatch. The Astra’s engine lineup in Europe is vast, consisting of four gasoline units and four turbodiesels that range in output from 94 to 178 horsepower.

Expect a world debut at the 2010 Paris Motor Show in October.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1043236_spy-shots-2011-opel-astra-sportstourer-wagon

this makes a lot more sense to me for buick than adding a compact crossover.

the Insignia and Excelle wagons would be a very unique offering for Buick and i honestly would be torn myself between the hatch and wagon if i had the choice.

Buick should have access to the whole Astra line here, just like VW has the Golf, and Jetta and Jetta SW.

Fewer models, but more body styles. Sedan, 3 dr hatch, 5 door hatch, wagon, etc.

Fewer models, but more body styles. Sedan, 3 dr hatch, 5 door hatch, wagon, etc.

:yes:

I want my mini Buick Estate Wagon in white with tan interior and wood paneling down the sides. Sweet!

Yes sir... fewer nameplates, more bodystyles for each nameplate. That's the way to go.

This would make a hot Buick... shame that Excelle they're going to saddle us with looks like an Elantra from the B-Pillar back. This would fix that.

I prefer the Opel front fascia to the one they have invented for the Excelle.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Excelle = horrible name.

Excelle I am neutral on. Verano it had better not be. Skyhawk or Skylark is dated but IMO would fit the persona of the vehicle. Really, my biggest preference would be if they just name it

ASTRA. but i know it doesn't really have a Buick vibe to it.......

Spy Shots: Opel Astra ST spotted braving the elements

The Opel/Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer – otherwise known as a wagon or estate – is testing its cold weather chops with minimal camouflage.

Details on the little cargo carrier are slim, but snappers at CarPix tell us that the rear liftgate differs from that on the larger Insignia ST by being separated from the taillights. We are also told that the interior and engine options will be the same as on the five-door hatch, and a spicy GSi model is on the way to fill out the line. It's too bad no one from Buick will tell us in the States, "Yes, you can have it..." You can check it out from various angles in the gallery of high-res photos below.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/10/spy-shots-opel-astra-st-spotted-braving-the-elements/

lots of booty on the thing, but i bet it also hauls a lot of -stuff- cargo hold looks massive.

sat in the elantra touring at the auto show. HUGE cargo capacity. this astra looks like it could exceed that and possibly outdo some mid size crossovers in cargo hold.

if Buick says 'only one wagon'....do you prefer the astra wagon or the insignia wagon?

Edited by regfootball

if Buick says 'only one wagon'....do you prefer the astra wagon or the insignia wagon?

Good question! If we had a 5-door Astra and wagon Insignia, that would be excellent. However I think a 4-door Astra and Insignia wagon is the best option since people actually seem to buy midsize wagons. People already dislike small hatchbacks in this country, and small wagons tend to look pretty ungainly.

Good question! If we had a 5-door Astra and wagon Insignia, that would be excellent. However I think a 4-door Astra and Insignia wagon is the best option since people actually seem to buy midsize wagons. People already dislike small hatchbacks in this country, and small wagons tend to look pretty ungainly.

I'd find it rather amusing if the Astra wagon has much more cargo space in it than say, a Nissan Murano..........

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor