Interactive Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Interactive Review:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

post-51-12681568176216.png

For our first entry from the Ford media fleet, Ford decided to put one of it's best feet forward. They sent Motor Trend's car of the year in Light Ice Blue Metallic. So gear up your questions for our Interactive Review.

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Photo Gallery

mpg! LOL. i would be interested in your impressions on the interior. its improved, but i still don't think its anything but midpack....except i think the seats are really good. also, your impressions of interior space and trunk space. also, because its a hybrid, i assume the handling is dumbed down for the green set. or not?

Well the seats, as soon as sat in them, stood out as really good. They're very supportive and with great side bolstering. I haven't had a chance to really crawl around the interior, but it seems fairly standard initially. I plan to do a "luggage test" on this one.

It's going to take some time to get used to the drive. It feels strange not having the gas motor kick in till you're over 47mph.... but you can putter around for a while in EV mode. The mpg indicator was 35mpg after my standard initial test loop. I drive all vehicles on the same loop as soon as I get them. It has two full acceleration runs, a highway run, and 50% city travel.

Ford has to be making coin on this car. MSRP close to 32? A base Fusion S can be had with all available incentives (including lease renewal rebate) for around 15,000. So its not costing Ford less than 15 to make the car, and then add on for the hybrid and other tech equipment. The profits from the hybrid are probably carrying the profits for the entire Fusion line. Or conversely, at least they are making enough profit from the Escape and Fusion hybrids to make the hybrid program profitable.

Hybrid interest has waned so much in the last year or two now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Escape and Fusion are the only two cars Ford will have in its hybrid stable for a LONG time.

Especially since the non-hybrid Equinox can beat the Escape hybrid. That's just embarassing.

On the highway. In city, the roles are reversed.

Hybrid interest has waned so much in the last year or two now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Escape and Fusion are the only two cars Ford will have in its hybrid stable for a LONG time.

Gas is predicted to go over $3.50 again this summer. You'll see hybrid interest perk up around then.

1 question: how clean is the shave when you rub your face on that Gillette Mach 3 grille? :P

Seriously: fuel economy? fit and finish? since I don't know anything about Ford's hybrid system, are there any differences in driving experience from a regular car, or is it all pretty much the same? can youdrive in all electric mode? for how long?

1 question: how clean is the shave when you rub your face on that Gillette Mach 3 grille? :P

Seriously: fuel economy? fit and finish? since I don't know anything about Ford's hybrid system, are there any differences in driving experience from a regular car, or is it all pretty much the same? can youdrive in all electric mode? for how long?

I plan to update the fuel economy using the car's trip summary as much as possible.

You can drive in all electric mode up to around 45mph, but even the slightest of upward slopes will kick the gasoline engine on. I really feel like Ford could have tuned the hybrid less conservatively and allowed it to run in EV mode longer. However, it is made up for by the fact that even the slightest downhill slope will start recharging the batteries again.

That said: There is a stretch of fairly level 2 lane highway that I ran on last night at 45mph. I was in pure EV mode most of the time, with exceptions being when going up slope or accelerating from a stop light. I was getting a ridiculous 60mpg according to the instant readout.

The steering does have that weird feeling most people complain about with electric power steering, but since you're not going to be street racing the car it probably won't matter to most people.

Fit and Finish seems fine from an initial view, but I still want to crawl around the car for a closer inspection this weekend.

I have not.

Two suggestions I would make to Ford:

1. Make a boot up sound. Since I still have to crank the key to "start" the car, give me some more feedback than the small green light on the lower right dash. Extra points if you make the bootup sound programable so I can copy any .WAV file I want and assign that to the boot up sound.

2. Maybe I haven't found it yet, but a button to put all the LCDs into nightime minimalist mode without scrolling through menus would be nice.

Should just be part of SYNC

Well sure, but how hard would it be to disable that function unless someone pays? Game publishers do it all the time these days, and so do other software developers. 'Personalization' is all the rage today, and companies are cashing in on what are generally frivolous things. :P

Ford has to be making coin on this car. MSRP close to 32? A base Fusion S can be had with all available incentives (including lease renewal rebate) for around 15,000. So its not costing Ford less than 15 to make the car, and then add on for the hybrid and other tech equipment. The profits from the hybrid are probably carrying the profits for the entire Fusion line. Or conversely, at least they are making enough profit from the Escape and Fusion hybrids to make the hybrid program profitable.

The Focus is next. MY 2012, Ford says. There will be both an all-EV model and a hybrid. If the FusionHy is slightly more expensive and efficient than a CamryHy, I'm guessing 60 MPG and $23K for the FocusHy.

That would be a really cool feature! I'd bet Ford could even charge extra for that 'option' and get away with it.

Personalized would be cool but default should be (although this may not be feasible)

Standard Fusion: two peices of metal coming to gether a bright light like a welder(a welding sound), pan out, you just welded Fus(red) ion(Blue) together.

Hybrid: Same but with a leaf above. (or the word fusion turns green)

How cool would that be?

Well sure, but how hard would it be to disable that function unless someone pays? Game publishers do it all the time these days, and so do other software developers. 'Personalization' is all the rage today, and companies are cashing in on what are generally frivolous things. :P

Well regardless if they charge for personalization ability or not, they should at least have a default bootup sound so that there is audible feedback that the car is ready to go.

Well regardless if they charge for personalization ability or not, they should at least have a default bootup sound so that there is audible feedback that the car is ready to go.

Does the tach needle move when it's started? Does pressing the accelerator result in any noise (when sitting in park after starting)?

The silent treatment sounds wierd to me..

Have you changed your driving habits when you are in this car? Does the nature of the car make you see how well you can do MPG wise, or do you just drive it like normal? I read so many articles about people who drive hybrids doing whatever they can to get better and better MPGs. They make it into a game, is that the nature of the beast? It never fails when I'm out on the highway that I get stuck behind a Prius going 50 in a 65 zone, and of course they are ALWAYS in the center or left lane!!!!!!

Have you changed your driving habits when you are in this car? Does the nature of the car make you see how well you can do MPG wise, or do you just drive it like normal? I read so many articles about people who drive hybrids doing whatever they can to get better and better MPGs. They make it into a game, is that the nature of the beast? It never fails when I'm out on the highway that I get stuck behind a Prius going 50 in a 65 zone, and of course they are ALWAYS in the center or left lane!!!!!!

I do accelerate more gently, but I still do my typical 5 over the speed limit unless the limit is 45mph. At 45 mph you can run in EV mode for a while if the road is level.

fit and finish?

I sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show and compared it to the Camry, Accord, and Malibu. I think Ford wins on this one; the entire upper dash is rubbery, as opposed to the other three which are full of harder plastic. The top of the doors were also rubbery IIRC. There are some areas of hard plastic, but in general the areas you are touching the most are pretty nice. I would place Malibu in 2nd, because tolerances seemed better than the Accord & Camry. The Accord gets third because the doors had a tendency to feel tinny when closed. The Camry plastics were on par with the Malibu, but the 'Bu has a much more stylish interior, so Camry gets 4th because it excels in no category.

Edited by mustang84

I don't think Camaro SS v. Fusion hybrid is a valid comparison.

I think the hybrid should be seriously considered by anyone who is looking at a fairly well equipped V6 Fusion/Milan/Accord/Camry. You get almost V6 performance (lets be real here, this thing runs with most of the standard V6es from just 5 years ago), but get 41mpg city and 35mpg highway. Outside of the powertrain, it's just a family 4-door with leather, headed seats, NAV, sunroof, rear park camera/assist. If you just want good power (better than a standard 4-cylinder) but you don't care if you have the most power in the segment (no 280hp Nissan VQ here) and want good fuel economy.... then I highly recommend the Fusion Hybrid.

I don't think Camaro SS v. Fusion hybrid is a valid comparison.

I think the hybrid should be seriously considered by anyone who is looking at a fairly well equipped V6 Fusion/Milan/Accord/Camry. You get almost V6 performance (lets be real here, this thing runs with most of the standard V6es from just 5 years ago), but get 41mpg city and 35mpg highway. Outside of the powertrain, it's just a family 4-door with leather, headed seats, NAV, sunroof, rear park camera/assist. If you just want good power (better than a standard 4-cylinder) but you don't care if you have the most power in the segment (no 280hp Nissan VQ here) and want good fuel economy.... then I highly recommend the Fusion Hybrid.

Camaro SS v. Fusion Hybrid might make for a FUN comparison!

• 3 weeks later...

Oldsmoboi - congrats on the ride. I test drove a Milan hybrid about a year ago and was wildly impressed. I'm envious! I'd be willing to bet 90% of the sedan-driving public wouldn't even know they were driving a hybrid if they drove one of these cars. The only items I noticed on the hybrid that were different from the conventional powertrain:

1) 'Starting' the car didn't provide you with the audible noises you traditionally expect. I know this one is obvious - I'm only mentioning it because it's such an odd experience if you've never driven a hybrid before.

2) The car feels a tad heavier when you are quick into the corners. You wouldn't even notice this unless you drove the regular 4-cyl back-to-back with the hybrid.

3) Because of the battery placement, the hybrid doesn't offer the rear-seat pass through into the trunk.

4) The Milan I drove would give you a low-growl type of noise when backing up down a hill (yes, I really tried like hell to make this thing hiccup in ANY form or fashion -- this car's hybrid system is virtually flawless).

I know GM's approach is to leapfrog everybody with the Volt instead of playing catchup - but I think a cost-effective Volt could be 10-15 years away - while the something like Ford's Fusion/Milan hybrids are borderline cost-effective TODAY. GM maybe making a huge mistake in this market-space. Time will tell.

Oldsmoboi - congrats on the ride. I test drove a Milan hybrid about a year ago and was wildly impressed. I'm envious! I'd be willing to bet 90% of the sedan-driving public wouldn't even know they were driving a hybrid if they drove one of these cars. The only items I noticed on the hybrid that were different from the conventional powertrain:

1) 'Starting' the car didn't provide you with the audible noises you traditionally expect. I know this one is obvious - I'm only mentioning it because it's such an odd experience if you've never driven a hybrid before.

2) The car feels a tad heavier when you are quick into the corners. You wouldn't even notice this unless you drove the regular 4-cyl back-to-back with the hybrid.

3) Because of the battery placement, the hybrid doesn't offer the rear-seat pass through into the trunk.

4) The Milan I drove would give you a low-growl type of noise when backing up down a hill (yes, I really tried like hell to make this thing hiccup in ANY form or fashion -- this car's hybrid system is virtually flawless).

I know GM's approach is to leapfrog everybody with the Volt instead of playing catchup - but I think a cost-effective Volt could be 10-15 years away - while the something like Ford's Fusion/Milan hybrids are borderline cost-effective TODAY. GM maybe making a huge mistake in this market-space. Time will tell.

Agreed. The Volt E-REV may be the car for rich early adapters, but GM should at least make a hybrid car for normal families looking for a little extra. Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and even Hyundai offer hybrid cars (non-truck). Why not GM?

• 1 year later...

So with 3 payments left on the CR-V, I brought up the idea of trading it in. That was quickly squashed. However, the idea is now is that we'll keep the CR-V (hopefully Honda will be helping us with the cost of the A/C system replacement, that is still pending) and then put the normal car payment for the CR-V into a separate savings account for a down payment on the next car.

Because we'd still have the CR-V for winter duties, Albert just wants to go with something very fuel efficient and not a crossover. The Cruze and Fiesta were too small for his taste and the Lacrosse was far too big (rules out an eAssist Lacrosse) and the Regal didn't get good enough mileage. Of all the test vehicles we've been sent, the Ford Fusion Hybrid seemed "just right" to him and is the car he's most likely pick out for himself.

So it looks like that's the way we'll be going.

So with 3 payments left on the CR-V, I brought up the idea of trading it in. That was quickly squashed. However, the idea is now is that we'll keep the CR-V (hopefully Honda will be helping us with the cost of the A/C system replacement, that is still pending) and then put the normal car payment for the CR-V into a separate savings account for a down payment on the next car.

Because we'd still have the CR-V for winter duties, Albert just wants to go with something very fuel efficient and not a crossover. The Cruze and Fiesta were too small for his taste and the Lacrosse was far too big (rules out an eAssist Lacrosse) and the Regal didn't get good enough mileage. Of all the test vehicles we've been sent, the Ford Fusion Hybrid seemed "just right" to him and is the car he's most likely pick out for himself.

I have heard many horrid stories about that generation CR-V when it comes to A/C going bust.

I have heard many horrid stories about that generation CR-V when it comes to A/C going bust.

Apparently it's not just the CR-V but the entire Honda lineup from 2003 and 2004. There is a class action out there against Honda on it. Estimate from the dealer is $1750. I'm just trying to get Honda to eat 50% of that and I'll be happy. If only I had a loud, automotive related, social media platform to help influence their decision. :scratchchin:

I would strongly consider a hybrid sedan if they could make atleast one of the seats/half the trunk pass through still work.

2012 Malibu, 2012 Lacrosse eAssist, Chevy Volt (technically a hatch, but still both seats fold down.)

Milan seems wise to look better than fusion. Multi-purpose ... reviews of this car observed a total saving of about 35 ... around an average person would. Diesel is always a better option than the entry price is lower ... mileage is the same if not better, and the car is better.