Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

New Chevy marketing plan is in the works

9 posts in this topic

New Chevy marketing plan is in the works

BY TIM HIGGINS

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

A Chevrolet marketing revamp is well under way, a top executive at the automaker indicated today.

The new advertising campaign will include the cars and use “excellence for everyone,” Mark Reuss, president of GM North America, said in a Web chat today. He was unclear about how that saying would be used, but indicated it would not be Chevrolet’s new tagline.

“You will really like it,” he added.

The new spots are to come out within the next two months.

He also indicated that GM will be turning more to Corvette and Camaro muscle cars in future marketing efforts to improve Chevrolet’s image.

The Detroit automaker doesn’t do a good enough job leveraging those iconic names to help the Chevrolet brand, according to Reuss.

“When have you ever seen ’Vettes and Camaros in ads for Equinox and Malibu?” he wrote. “This will change.”

The Equinox crossover has been a highly successful product for GM and dealers have been clamoring for more, saying it’s the right priced package of space, fuel economy and technology. The current Equinox ads feature Howie Long, a well-known sportscaster.

Reuss also suggested GM needs to step up its efforts on the Chevrolet Malibu.

“We need to re-energize the car,” he said.

There’s a feeling within GM that the company did a good job launching the vehicle in 2008 but didn’t follow up afterward, particularly during the company’s bankruptcy reorganization.

link:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100310/BUSINESS01/100310055/1210/New-Chevy-marketing-plan-is-in-the-works

He also indicated that GM will be turning more to Corvette and Camaro muscle cars in future marketing efforts to improve Chevrolet’s image.

The Detroit automaker doesn’t do a good enough job leveraging those iconic names to help the Chevrolet brand, according to Reuss.

“When have you ever seen ’Vettes and Camaros in ads for Equinox and Malibu?” he wrote. “This will change.”

Good idea as long as they don't overdo it. Remember the Cobalt/Corvette ads that were running at the Cobalt launch? I loved those ads.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I can imagine ads in a couple years with the Spark and ZR1, the bookends of the line.

In the 60's GM used to market all the cars together often. I can rememver hand outs and ads that promoted eaxh and every car from Chevy as a unit. At the time many had SBC engines and the round tail lights it gave them all a little bit of Vette in them.

It is just nice they are using the Camaro and Vette. I recall Settlemire stating on the 4th gen by the time they built the car they had little money to markt them in ads.

>>"In the 60's GM used to market all the cars together often."<<

WRT print advertising, yes, there were 'compilation' ads for '60, '62, '63, '64, '65 - right in the heart of the industry going from 1 physical body to 3 or 4 or 5. After that, I have a number of Camaro/Corvette ads circa '68-69... but I still got the sense that advertising felt it 'too much' to market the line as a whole, because besides those C/C ads, it really was seldom done again.

I like the idea of marketing off of the Camaro & Corvette, as long as it's not exploited/overdone & it's tasteful. The aforementioned Cobalt/Corvette ads I thought were quite good.

The new advertising campaign will include the cars and use “excellence for everyone,”

BillTed3.jpg

but indicated it would not be Chevrolet’s new tagline.

bill_ted.jpg

Bogus, dude.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0