NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Baby Buick Sedan Based on New Opel Astra Scooped Inside and Out in Germany

28 posts in this topic

Baby Buick Sedan Based on New Opel Astra Scooped Inside and Out in Germany

We still don't know the name of Buick's all-new small sedan that will take its place right under the 2011 Regal in the carmaker's line up, but these latest spy shots from Germany give us our best look to date of the upcoming compact-sized model's exterior and interior design.

And if the styling looks familiar that's because Buick's baby sedan is in essence the North American version of the upcoming Opel Astra sedan.

From what we gather by looking at these revealing spy shots, the only differences worth mentioning aside from the badges concern Buick's signature waterfall grille and possibly, the styling of the tail lights.

As with the 2011 Buick Regal and the Opel Insignia, the small sedan's interior is identical to that of the recently revealed Astra hatchback.

There are no surprises under the sheetmetal as Buick's Opel-sourced model uses the same Delta II platform found on the Chevy Cruze.

Even though it's too early to know specific details about the powertrain options, we reckon that Buick's compact sedan will probably be offered with a similar engine range to the Cruze including a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-pot, and quite possibly, the Astra's more powerful 1.6-liter turbo with 180 ponies.

The big questions, is how U.S. consumers will receive Buick's smallest proposal that will compete head on with the VW Jetta and its like, especially after the failure of Saturn's version of the Astra.

Of course, the are many significant differences between Buick's and Saturn's Astra, the most important being that the Buick is based on the new and not the previous generation Astra, it will come with more powerful and modern engines and that it's a four-door sedan and not a five-door hatchback.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/03/baby-buick-sedan-based-on-new-opel.html

Who do we need to hit up to tell them Buick also needs a performance edge and a youthful edge? Borger?

The Regal GS just flashed through my mind and thoughts that GM's product planners are on the right path already without my counsel. But we need this Astra sedan to have an Astra 5 door counterpart!!!!!!!!!! and a performance version of said 5-door hatchback. Bring the youthful, expensively detailed, upscale alternative small cars to the market, and watch your market share expand because you've entered a zone previously unencountered by the dowdy GM of yore. Bring the Astra coupe, bring the Astra wagon, bring the astra convertible!!!!!!! bring all the fuel efficient choices you can to the market, just to be safe GM. and you'll bear witness to a new Buick that's nothing like the old Buick. A Buick that's a lot like VW!!

No Verano name PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call it the Buick Astra if you must. Call it the Buick Wildcat, call the hatch the Roadmaster, that'll make 'em laugh and be relevant. Call something the Buick Atlantic.

DON'T CALL ANYTHING VERANO!!!!!!!! THAT IS CHEESY AND TRIES TO HARD!!!!!! DAMN YOU GM!!!! :)

Verano sounds like a name for Japanese or Korean CUV.

This car looks surprisingly good. Like a baby Lacrosse, and its styling actually matches the size of the car. Good proportions too.

Verano sounds like a name for Japanese or Korean CUV.

completely flavorless and seeming to blend in with trends from other brands. exactly how GM would like to be perceived. I say Wildcat for the sedan, Roadmaster for the hatch, those actually mean something and have heritage.

I'm actually a bit hesitant about this overall, from what's been released so far. I do think the novelty of a small premium compact will do well, I just wish it had the right style, and I don't know this will be the complete picture. It's maybe a little too pedestrian compared to the drama from the lacrosse. for me it's the c-pillar and the way the a-pillar dips. i prefer the 5-door, it's more dramatic, well proportioned, and athletic, from what I can see so far. Until the car is fully revealed, I won't know for sure.

Leave the hatchbacks to Chevrolet. Buick needs to be upscale, and sorry, but in the US, hatchbacks are not seen as upscale. Besides the sedan, I'd like to at least see a hardtop convertible, to compete with Eos. THAT would fit Buick better than a plebian hatchback.

I can't see Buick getting anything besides a vanilla 4dr sedan w/ automatic.

I'd like to see premium hatchbacks, but Americans want their boring trunked sedans. The Insiginia hatchback w/ a diesel and manual would be a great addition to the Regal line, IMHO.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

They need this and a Wagon, and a Astra TwinTop style thing.

This looks like a car that belongs on the Avis lot. Yawn, at the exterior, and the interior looks like something from a Lancer or Kia. And the ripped off the MKZ's tail lights. Seems too similar to the Astra that bombed here, and not at all like the Jetta that does well here.

The greenhouse reminds me of a sleeker version of the current Focus.

You can really tell the Astra wasn't designed to be a sedan. Proportions look all weird. Give us an upmarket hatch, please! Make it a three door "coupe" if you must.

It does have some rather odd proportions...I don't like how the a-pillar extends so far forward of the door opening and results in the tiny front quarter window...that detail reminds me too much of a minivan or small MPV. Looks odd in profile especially..

2012-Buick-Small-Sedan-9.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

GM could dismiss an entire market....or it could study sales trends in LA where premium sporty hatches are a hot trend, the mini, A3, VW GTI and Mazda3 are all hot sellers with good, cool images.

Edited by turbo200

Louisiana?

It does have some rather odd proportions...I don't like how the a-pillar extends so far forward of the door opening and results in the tiny front quarter window...that detail reminds me too much of a minivan or small MPV. Looks odd in profile especially.

Most compact cars have that now for some reason. I would guess crash safety reasons.

One huge improvement over the LameDuck ASTRA Saturn got stuck with is ... it's a SEDAN. Next it will need the 1.6L turbo to haul the more then 2,900lb car. I'd like to see buick offer a manual trans to go with it. Better yet a 2.4L DI VVT would be right up my alley

Edited by RjION

There have been rumblings the base engine will be the 1.6T with 185hp

There have been rumblings the base engine will be the 1.6T with 185hp

What will the turbo lag be like on that engine? They'll probably need a lot of boost to get that much power from a 1.6 liter, I mean, the 2008 Equinox needed 3.4 liters to make 185 hp. The base engine should be the 2.4 liter DI ecotec, because this car will no doubt be heavy, leave the under 2 liter stuff to Chevy.

What will the turbo lag be like on that engine? They'll probably need a lot of boost to get that much power from a 1.6 liter, I mean, the 2008 Equinox needed 3.4 liters to make 185 hp. The base engine should be the 2.4 liter DI ecotec, because this car will no doubt be heavy, leave the under 2 liter stuff to Chevy.

It's a good engine, far from a 1980s turbocharged engine's turbo-lagged nightmare. It should have DI even at the same power level as that would squeeze a few mpg more, but it is a good engine. One I'd like to line up to test drive on the Astra.

Yeah, these tiny, turbo Ecotecs I am not too sure about. The Equinox engine in this car, with availability of a 6 speed manual along with autotragic transmissions, would be ideal.

Remember guys, with DI, the torque comes on a lot lower than you'd expect. So even though the peak number may look kinda low, you'll get 90% of that or better at fairly low RPM.

Could you PLEASE get over your horsepower per litre fetish?!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor