Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM considers global Chevy Cruze coupe, Zeta-based RWD for U.S.

19 posts in this topic

GM considers global Chevy Cruze coupe, Zeta-based RWD for U.S.

03/10/2010, 8:14 PMBY MARK KLEIS

General Motors held a public Web Chat with Mark Reuss, North America president, and Christopher Barger, Director of Global Communications Technology, who answered questions from the general public. Among the questions was whether or not the U.S. will be getting a two-door variant of the Cruze coupe or a ZETA-based rear-wheel drive car.

Mark Reuss has only been at the helm of GM North America for a short time, but that hasn’t stopped him from being involved in a major restructuring of management, shifting advertising focus and now answering the public’s dire questions about the future of GM.

One question that was asked was whether or not there will be a two-door Chevy Cruze, to which Reuss replied, “2 door cruze is a nice idea, and it may show up in the global market. As we have 2 door Cobalts currently, NA would naturally look at a Cruze 2 door, but I believe our small car portfolio will be WAY beyond what it is now, so a 2 door something still is needed.”

Reuss strongly suggested that a Cruze Coupe may be on the horizon, which would follow their product offering history as well as the competitors’ offerings in the segment.

Another question burning in the backs of minds across America, will the U.S. get an Australian-sourced ZETA platform-based rear-wheel drive sedan in the future?

Reuss said, “quite possibly.” Although Reuss obviously stopped far short of giving anything resembling confirmation, or even suggesting which vehicle might see use of the ZETA platform. His answer does give hope to those still seeking RWD options in a market that is trending towards more fuel efficient front-wheel drive vehicles.

Another consumer questioned if GM would be making a shift away from larger trucks and SUVs and move into smaller and more ‘urban’ vehicles.

“GM was primarily a truck based portfolio in the past, we see that gas prices are volatile at the least. We need to be a company that is agile and responsive from a capacity and sales standpoint. So, GM will provide in a fast way, the products that the market demands—quickly and with high quality and safety as we do today. So, that includes the vehicles that have a great duty cycle for work, play, and commuting efficiently and safety with a lot of fun and style,” typed Reuss.

Reuss also addressed the recent dip in sales for the Cadillac brand, but showed confidence in the strong products that will help return volume to the brand’s sales figures.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-considers-global-chevy-cruze-coupe-zeta-based-rwd-for-u-s.html

a market that is trending towards more fuel efficient front-wheel drive vehicles.

For love of god people, stop putting this factually incorrect statement out. Case in point Mustang 3.7L which is a RWD and has better fuel economy than a similar weighing Malibu, Accord V6.

FWD Lacrosse 3.0 - 17/26

RWD G8 Base - 17/25

If he wants to compare equally porky vehicles.

FWD Lacrosse 3.0 - 17/26

RWD G8 Base - 17/25

The LaX really is a Porker... It's sad when the W-Body it replaced is lighter and more fuel efficient.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

That is my biggest problem with the new LaX it is a porker. My G-body Bonneville rang in at about 3700 pounds and the LaX pushes over 4000! Our W-body Impala's as I recall were in the 3400ish range as well. The Zeta is a porker but with the new 3.0L SIDI V6 and 3.6L SIDI V6 you can pretty good fuel economy out of them, better than a 3.6L HF V6 Malibu anyways. RWD can be efficent, still in my book if its offered with an eight I am going to get the eight.

On the porker issue, even here in Portugal I've read comments about the new Astra being substantially heavier than the old one, so this seems to be a tendency in GM cars. I think they should buy a few Mazda 2 and Mazda 6 and try and figure out how Mazda has been approaching the weight issue, as they are regarded here in Europe as having done a good job with regard to the weight of those 2 models.

FWD Lacrosse 3.0 - 17/26

RWD G8 Base - 17/25

Or how about the 250 hp LaCrosse at 17/26 mpg vs the 375 hp Genesis at 17/25 mpg. Or the Mustang at 305 hp and 30 mpg. Rear drive doesn't really hurt gas mileage like GM wants us to believe. It is just an excuse for them to push more Epsilon clones, rather than develop new rear drivers or import costly ones from other countries.

Gm is not telling much ahead anymore so these little quips are not much.

I think it is safe to say we will get a limited Zeta Chvy sedan in 2012 and I suspect there already is a Cruze based coupe farther along than Mark is will to say now. The lead times for the Public have greatly shrunk with the Chapter 11 Gm has no need to reveal plans 5 years in advance anymore.

The only killer for the Zeta will be higher gas prices or a even slower economy. Either of these could change this plan in a heart beat.

Cruze coupe. A no-brainer. It must happen.

Cruze coupe. A no-brainer. It must happen.

Maybe they will give the coupe it's own styling and identity. 'Monza' would be a good name to return, I think.

Maybe they will give the coupe it's own styling and identity. 'Monza' would be a good name to return, I think.

+1 :chevy:

If the car is vastly diffrent than the Cruze it needs a different name.

I have never figures out Hyundai Genesis. The coupe and sedan share nothing in styling or marketing so why the shared name. The Monza name has great heritage yet that is not tarnished. I also would hope they don't use the sedan nose styling on a Coupe. It is just not sporty.

On the porker issue, even here in Portugal I've read comments about the new Astra being substantially heavier than the old one, so this seems to be a tendency in GM cars. I think they should buy a few Mazda 2 and Mazda 6 and try and figure out how Mazda has been approaching the weight issue, as they are regarded here in Europe as having done a good job with regard to the weight of those 2 models.

the new astra's wheelbase and track are larger by a lot if i recall and sometimes those dimensions growing mean the weight grows proportionately.

For example if the wheelbase is up 5% then the weight can go up 5% too, and 5% on a 3000 pound car is 150 pounds.

the new astra's wheelbase and track are larger by a lot if i recall and sometimes those dimensions growing mean the weight grows proportionately.

For example if the wheelbase is up 5% then the weight can go up 5% too, and 5% on a 3000 pound car is 150 pounds.

Partially true. Increase in 5% wheelbase will lead to 5% increase in weight of the structural components. Structural components amount for generally 40 - 50% of the vehicle weight. So actual weight increase of the vehicle will be less than 5%.

I'm no engineer, but I imagine that if they simply added 5% to the length of a vehicle, the subsequent weight would increase more than 5%.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room