NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ford to reveal new "Taurus" Police Interceptor on Friday

41 posts in this topic

Ford to reveal new Police Interceptor on Friday

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. will unveil the new Ford Police Interceptor on Friday -- the replacement for the venerable Crown Victoria that has been the backbone of the nation's law enforcement fleets since the early 1990s.

As The Detroit News first reported last year, the new model will be based on the same platform as the new Ford Taurus. However, it will be built for law enforcement work and incorporate several modifications to meet the special needs of police officers.

It will make its debut before an audience of law enforcement officials at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, according to an internal Ford communication obtained by The News.

Advertisement

The Crown Vic, which is assembled at Ford's factory in St. Thomas, Ontario, will remain in production through September of 2011.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100311/AUTO01/3110463/1361/Ford-to-reveal-new-Police-Interceptor-on-Friday#ixzz0hugNvCgX

Taurus police interceptor. Time for a Robocop remake.

There is a new Robocop reboot coming in 2011

Well, they had to stumble at some point.

We're still awaiting the details, but I'm a little disappointed it is just a stripper Taurus.

Taurus vs. Caprice vs. Charger

policeinterceptcon01w.jpg

chevcapricem.jpg

2009dodgechargerpolicecv.jpg

Ford debuts new Police Interceptor

Based on Taurus platform, the new model arrives at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. will unveil the new Ford Police Interceptor today -- the replacement for the venerable Crown Victoria that has been the backbone of the nation's law enforcement fleets since the early 1990s.

As The Detroit News first reported last year, the new model will be based on the same platform as the new Ford Taurus. However, it will be built for law enforcement work and incorporate several modifications to meet the needs of police officers.

It will make its debut before an audience of law enforcement officials at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, according to an internal Ford communication obtained by The News.

Advertisement

The Crown Vic, which is assembled at Ford's factory in St. Thomas, Ontario, will remain in production through September of 2011.

The new Police Interceptor is being developed in conjunction with Ford's Police Advisory Board, which provided input during the past on key vehicle attributes, such as safety, performance, durability, driver convenience and comfort. Ford says it will be available as soon as production of the Crown Vic ends and promises there will be no interruption in deliveries to police departments.

The Crown Vic is much-loved in law enforcement circles, and some departments already have expressed displeasure with Ford's decision to end production of the aging rear-wheel-drive sedan.

Ford currently controls about 75 percent of the police pursuit vehicle business in the U.S. and sells approximately 45,000 police vehicles annually.

Unveiling the Police Interceptor today will give police agencies and aftermarket outfitters plenty of time to prepare for the transition to the new squad car.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100312/AUTO01/3120341/1148/auto01/Ford-debuts-new-Police-Interceptor#ixzz0hy8or8Y1

Ford unveils Taurus-based Police Interceptor

03/12/2010, 8:45 AMBY ANDREW GANZ

As we previewed yesterday, Ford finally released some images of its long-anticipated replacement for the Crown Victoria-based Police Interceptor today. Although it looks like a toughened up version of the standard Ford Taurus, we’ll have to wait to hear what mechanical changes Ford made.

Ford hasn’t said which of the Taurus’ two 3.5-liter V6 engines will be offer, either the 263-horsepower naturally aspirated unit or the 365-pony twin-turbo EcoBoost engine from the Taurus SHO. The automaker also hasn’t specified whether the Taurus will be offered in front or all-wheel-drive; either configuration could give it a competitive disadvantage against more conventional rear-wheel-drive offerings from Dodge (Charger) and General Motors (Caprice PPV). Police agencies have long been skeptical of any front or all-wheel-drive offering without a V8 powertrain.

The Dearborn automaker has promised that it will spill the beans later today after it formally unveils the car to police officers at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. This isn’t the first time that Ford has tried to market its Taurus as a police vehicle; movie fans will remember that the first-generation Taurus served as a police car in the Robocop series. Ford has mostly unsuccessfully pushed every generation of Taurus on police fleets across the U.S. since.

The venerable Crown Victoria (and its Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis Panther platform mates) is set to go out of production in about 18 months when Ford closes its St. Thomas, Ontario, assembly plant.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-police-interceptor-2.html

Interiors Comparison for the Taurus and Caprice. Could not find a decent one for the Charger.

FORD TAURUS PPV

Ford-Taurus-Inteceptor-3.jpg

CHEVY CAPRICE PPV

Chevy-Caprice-PPV-04.jpg

it looks like the HVAC controls are almost completely blocked by the laptop on the Taurus

It looks like there is no room for anything in the Ford. Also, twin-turbo is not going to be something the government is going to want. All they see there is 2 more things to break. Also, isn't idling constantly bad for turbos?

I wonder how much a twin turbo 'SHO' spec police car will cost..the civilian SHO is pretty pricey...

I wonder how much a twin turbo 'SHO' spec police car will cost..the civilian SHO is pretty pricey...

Both the 3.5 NA and TT will be offered.

Linkity

the twin turbo won't sell a lot, but there will be some departments that may want them as high speed pursuit vehicles.

The FWD Impala cop car is a big seller in urban/suburban areas where there is no need for 100 mph+ pursuits. Also, the Aussie Caprice may cost more than some agencies want to spend.

For 'hot pursuit' a helecopter is best. Also, Ford still has Mustangs.

One other thing, Chrysler is still on life support, and buying a Charger is a risy investment. Who knows if parts will be available if Fiat gives up on Mopar?

Unibody police cars are nothing new..after all, all the Chrysler product police cars from 1960 onward have been unibody... GM has had some success with FWD V6 unibody police cars w/ the Impala, so there is a precident for such a configuration..

Of course, for beefy BOF V8 police cruisers, there is always the Silverado and Tahoe, F150 and Expedition..I see plenty of those being used as cruisers around here, with the city, county, and highway patrol...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

i guess motor trend's problems are solved, another new comparison test in the future to make their otherwise worthless monthy brochure, readable.

I think Chevy will have the advantage here. Most departments are already using the Impala with great results. GM adds the RWD package to suplement the departments line up will only help.

The Ford will not be cheap in either form and few will buy the turbo AWD option do to cost and lets face it AWD will be expensive to repair or replace in higher mile cars. Also how well will the Taurus PIT a larger car?

With money being tight and the Impala's being cheap to buy and run I suspect many departments with the the tight budgets they have now will pay much for the new Ford.

I was in a Taurus not long ago and was not impressed with the knee room. My knees were into the dash. I found the same on the Mustangs too.

Interiors Comparison for the Taurus and Caprice. Could not find a decent one for the Charger.

FORD TAURUS PPV

CHEVY CAPRICE PPV

Chevy-Caprice-PPV-04.jpg

Found a small picture.

charger.jpg

FORD TAURUS PPV

CHEVY CAPRICE PPV

Chevy-Caprice-PPV-04.jpg

INteresting seat choices there.

Cops would like the vertical lines as it will make they look thinner.

These seats have to be industrial as the beating they take and to fit many guys that are big or over weight also wearing gun belts and flack jackets. Not a easy seat to design.

I'm 100% sure cops don't give a crap about what direction the fabric weave is going, they just care about how durable the material is.

Taurus has a tiny back seat for a vehicle as large as it is. I can't imagine much legroom left once the cabin divider is installed. And Taurus visibility sucks with its higher beltline. The old fleet queen Taurus is probably better suited for police fleets.

I think I'm going to give this to the Caprice...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor